Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-08-2011, 17:34   #31

Boat: 1967 Alberg 35
Re: Hurricane Irene

Quote:
Originally Posted by capngeo View Post
To those of you on the hard.... REMEMBER TO TIE YOUR STANDS TO EACH OTHER!
And maybe add another pair or two (which is what I'll be doing if it heads up into New England). Also, if rigging is up, remove foresails from roller reefing and any other canvas.
smurphny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2011, 17:55   #32

Boat: Morgan Classic 41

Tomorrow we prep the boat on the hard. This will be our first huricane aboard on the hard. Previously went through a high cat1 but was anchored out. Removing all canvas and sails, bbq on rail, fenders on deck dink is upside down below the boat and will be lashed down between the stands. Stands will be lashed to each other under the boat and along each side. Will add more stands where dink is to help keep it in place without compromising the big boat. Bikes will be laid down and lashed to the stands. Moving car to higher ground due to probable surge at boatyard. Honda 2000 gas will be purchased and stored in car. I expect power will be lost here. But not for me. Duck tape is my friend, Taping instrument panels with plastic tarp bits, and hatches against driving rains. Will tape ourselves inside (hatch boards) when time comes. Anything I haven't thought of?
mjwarner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2011, 18:05   #33
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjwarner View Post
Tomorrow we prep the boat on the hard. This will be our first huricane aboard on the hard. Previously went through a high cat1 but was anchored out. Removing all canvas and sails, bbq on rail, fenders on deck dink is upside down below the boat and will be lashed down between the stands. Stands will be lashed to each other under the boat and along each side. Will add more stands where dink is to help keep it in place without compromising the big boat. Bikes will be laid down and lashed to the stands. Moving car to higher ground due to probable surge at boatyard. Honda 2000 gas will be purchased and stored in car. I expect power will be lost here. But not for me. Duck tape is my friend, Taping instrument panels with plastic tarp bits, and hatches against driving rains. Will tape ourselves inside (hatch boards) when time comes. Anything I haven't thought of?
didja 4 point ANCHOR into the dirt deep n good so you dont get pushed over or surged to hell or blown anywhere like over. friend of mine in a place in the gulf coast recommended that one.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2011, 18:07   #34

Boat: Far East Mariner 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailvayu View Post
To the OP in Holden beach and I think I saw someone in Topsial I would recommend moving to one of the yards up the Cape Fear river. There are 3-4 yards far enough up to offer good protection. I am in Wilmington marine center one of the best I think but a small yard.

For sailboats I do not recommend hauling unless you have lots of stands and are tied down with helical anchors. I have seen too many sailboats blown off the stands by the wind age of the rigs.

I damn near lost a P-30 once in a cat 2.

Also make sure if you do haul the stands are tied together and not just with that wimpy chain most yards use, get some good ratchet tie downs for trucks.

Good luck to all in the path of this one I will stay aboard if it is less than cat 4.

The fun never stops, and pray for those in the Bahamas now!
Since I rent a slip here and live aboard, the yard agreed to hold a space for me and haul me on thursday. I'll have to go up to Wilmington to stay where there are motels that allow dogs. I got 4 of those screw in mobile home anchors for extra security (?). Might as well get my bottom done, thru hulls, zincs, while it's on the hard if it comes thru this OK.
sailvayu, I have a question for you and will pm you later if it's OK.
Old 23-08-2011, 18:08   #35

Boat: 41' Custom CC Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgzzzz View Post
I consulted with my panel of ancient mariners over at the Handlebar here in Bofort, NC this afternoon. One and all thought it would continue to creep East and away from us. There was alcohol involved. No hotlinks provided. These guys have worked this water for 50 years. FWIW
Would that be Beaufort, NC now? I wish I was in the Handlebar now.

Beware the spelling nazis.

I wish you east-coasters all the best. I'm on the hard in La Paz watching daily the tropical storm beat on the left coast, and in sympathy on the other side.
Old 23-08-2011, 18:16   #36

Boat: Panda 40 - S/V Cambria

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
Brimstone?
Raining toads and fishes?
Any earthquake in Virginia is curious. Just another day on the Pacific coast...

Michael
svcambria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2011, 18:16   #37

Boat: 1967 Alberg 35

Quote:
If there is any chance of floating away on the surge, don't float with it. You do not want to be on a boat in a major hurricane. A friend of mine, a rugged, capable commercial fisherman, ONCE decided to stay on his boat through a hurricane in as protected a spot as you can imagine. Scared the crap out of him. Said he'd never be so foolish as to do it again. It's hard to imagine what happens in sustained 100+ knot winds.
smurphny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2011, 18:33   #38

Boat: Morgan Classic 41

Don't really WANT to stay, but it is our home and yard work is being done, so can't leave. Being a Floridian, Ihave had a lot more experience with huricanes than I'd like. We don't have an option to do helical or mobile home tie downs, but they are surrounding our boat with the added windbreak of other boats, so that should help. ALL boats are being stripped of sails and canvas to keep windage down. If the forcast holds, we will be on the good side of the storm, and that should help us some as well. It will not be fun by any means, but I think we will be alright.
mjwarner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2011, 21:07   #39

Boat: Far East Mariner 40

Gonna be a little traumatic leaving the boat on the hard and sleeping in town. Will I have to wear a shirt, long pants, real shoes??? I think I saw some socks somewhere. I know I had some.
Old 23-08-2011, 23:14   #40
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
Brimstone?
Fire & ?? Litmus test!
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2011, 23:18   #41
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Don't really WANT to stay, but it is our home and yard work is being done, so can't leave. Being a Floridian, Ihave had a lot more experience with huricanes than I'd like. We don't have an option to do helical or mobile home tie downs, but they are surrounding our boat with the added windbreak of other boats, so that should help. ALL boats are being stripped of sails and canvas to keep windage down. If the forcast holds, we will be on the good side of the storm, and that should help us some as well. It will not be fun by any means, but I think we will be alright.
Where are you? email me if you are in NC! Hug a telephone pole as a last ditch effort!
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2011, 05:33   #42

Location: wherever the boat is---from central amer to canada....so far...
Boat: defever trawler 41-nomad

The last Irene we were in was in Key West Harbor, anchored out in front of the munitions island.

Had a 45 lb cqr and a 50 lb danforth in.

All night long it blew hard but we were in the lee of the island and had a 1 ft chop (rain going parallel to the water tho) and sometime in the night a tornado carried a big trimaran out to sea (they found it 8 mi offshore pretty much intact).

At sunup we were in the eye and it was beautiful---no wind--and we could see the eyewall all around us. We should have moved into Garrison right then since we had plenty of time but noooooo, we were dug in good.

When the back half hit we were looking at the whole gulf of Mex. and soon were in 6-8ft waves pushing us toward the island.

The danforth broke free but the good ol cqr held fast. when it was all over, we tried to pull anchor and go to the docks to party (DUH!!!) but couldn't get the anchor up. when we finally got it out, we realized it was stuck on an old wreck or something big---thankfully!!

We DID learn one thing, tho,that is : GO TO THE FRIGGIN DOCK BEFORE THE STORM--NOT AFTER!!!
defever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2011, 06:10   #43

I was in Rock Hall, MD for Isabel and the surge was about 6 feet. Only the tops of the pilings are visible here.
Noname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2011, 08:40   #44

Location: wherever the boat is---from central amer to canada....so far...
Boat: defever trawler 41-nomad

wow, if that's a 6 ft. surge in rock hill, md. methinks the marina needs higher pilings...what if it were a 10 footer?? good thing they weren't floating docks..
defever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2011, 08:54   #45
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

irene from space...
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hurricane