Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2011, 14:22   #166
cnj

Boat: Fontain Pejot Tobago 35 Cat Alee
Re: Hurricane Irene

[QUOTE=
The only reason I can see for staying at the dock or the upriver dock approach is having the company of others nearby during the storm. Am I missing something?

Tanksalot[/QUOTE]

We stayed at the dock. The marina (in Mt Hope Bay) has floating docks and would need a storm surge of greater than 13 ft for the docks to come off the pilings. Since the marina land is lower than that, it seemed safer to us. We tied lines all around and basically made a "spider web" with the lines, with the boat in the middle. We made everything tight so we weren't going anywhere. We removed all the sails and canvas and all was well.

C of CNJ
Old 05-09-2011, 14:26   #167
cnj

Boat: Fontain Pejot Tobago 35 Cat Alee

Actually the marina did better then our house. At home we lost power for a week (just got it back) and the marina never lost power.
Old 05-09-2011, 15:36   #168

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnj View Post
Actually the marina did better then our house. At home we lost power for a week (just got it back) and the marina never lost power.

We used to live right near a sheriff sub-station. We must have been on the same "wire" because when power went out we (and others on our street) got power back before anyone else.

Note to self when buying another house. Hospital or something would be good.
Old 05-09-2011, 17:07   #169

Boat: Tartan 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy

We used to live right near a sheriff sub-station. We must have been on the same "wire" because when power went out we (and others on our street) got power back before anyone else.

Note to self when buying another house. Hospital or something would be good.
Hospitals have generators.. What you had, and what you want is to be ajacent to city owned property. The city always needs to become operational before private homes and business.

During Katrina, the hospitals suffered greatly. There were nurses put in jail for allowing people to die in comfort (without permission). I know that's extreme, but the point is, a hospital comes second to a police station... Look for a home near the power company, which is usually on the outskirts of town, or near an important?city project, like the police or fire dept...
Old 06-09-2011, 14:31   #170

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmecrazy View Post
Hospitals have generators.. What you had, and what you want is to be ajacent to city owned property. The city always needs to become operational before private homes and business.

During Katrina, the hospitals suffered greatly. There were nurses put in jail for allowing people to die in comfort (without permission). I know that's extreme, but the point is, a hospital comes second to a police station... Look for a home near the power company, which is usually on the outskirts of town, or near an important?city project, like the police or fire dept...

Yea, they have generators but they are still #2.
Old 06-09-2011, 15:29   #171

Boat: Seafarer 26
I don't know about power but I do know about communications and I suspect they have similar rules.

Title 47 - Telecommunication
Volume: 5
Date: 2000-10-01
Original Date: 2000-10-01
Title: PART 211 - EMERGENCY RESTORATION PRIORITY PROCEDURES FOR TELECOMMUNICATIONS SERVICES
Context: Title 47 - Telecommunication. CHAPTER II - OFFICE OF SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY POLICY AND NATIONAL SECURITY COUNCIL.
Pt. 211
PART 211—EMERGENCY RESTORATION PRIORITY PROCEDURES FOR TELECOMMUNICATIONS SERVICES

(a) Priority 1. Priority 1 shall be the highest level of restoration priority, and shall be afforded only to Federal and Foreign Government private line services, and to Industrial/Commercial services which are designated for prearranged voluntary participation with the Federal Government in a national emergency. Circuit requirements in this level of priority shall be limited to those esential to national survival if nuclear attack occurs for:
(1) Obtaining or disseminating critical intelligence concerning the attack, or immediately necessary to maintain the internal security of the United States;
(2) Conducting diplomatic negotiations critical to the arresting or limiting of hostilities;
(3) Executing military command and control functions essential to defense and retaliation;
(4) Giving warning to the U.S. population;
(5) Maintaining federal Government functions essential to national survival under nuclear attack conditions.

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-200...l5-part211.xml

FYI. Priority 3 would be hospitals
Dkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 17:06   #172

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkdoyle View Post

FYI. Priority 3 would be hospitals

Uhh, well, I guess I was thinking storms - the non nuclear type.

Oh well.........
Old 06-09-2011, 18:28   #173

Boat: Seafarer 26
It's the government. What can I say
Dkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 10:13   #174

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkdoyle View Post
It's the government. What can I say
Yea.

I guess I just feel that you are here to help them help me.

Tags
hurricane