Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-06-2014, 06:09   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: Regulator for an Alternator?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty123 View Post
Depending upon what make and size of alternator you have/need (and you don't need much if it's dedicated to your start battery), you might be able to purchase a used or remanufactured internally regulated alternator for not much money (certainly less than a three step external regulator). I think an external regulator is overkill for a dedicated start battery (equivalent usage to your car).
I agree.

Alternator internal regulators are designed for charging start batteries. And they work fine for this purpose. That's what I would do for an alternator dedicated to a start battery.

Internal regulators do a poor job charging house batts, which are often chronically undercharged with internal regulators. You do really want external regulators for this.

Balmar is a good one, but not the only choice. Sterling have a clever system which people seem to like. I use an Adverc, with which I have been extremely pleased.

No regulator at all??? I agree with the above comments that this is just crazy. Some people use solar panels with no regulator with decent results when the panels are small compared to the battery capacity, but not alternators!!!
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternator, regulator