Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-09-2018, 07:51   #17

Re: Dual alternator and oversize alternator success (or failure) stories

In 2014 I installed commercial truck heavy duty Delco Remy 24SI 12 volt 160 A alternators on our twin Yanmar 4JH4 engines. The big advantage of a commercial truck heavy duty alternator is cost. I paid $150 each, for two installed plus a spare.

The installation required fabrication of a J-180 mount and idler pulley mounting plate, serpentine belt installation, and modification of the alternators to work with an external regulators. Balmar MC 614 regulators with the Centerfielder II were also installed.

The wiring and battery disconnect switches were upgraded to handle the increased current. 200 A fuses were also installed between the alternator output and battery bank.

The alternators have performed well over the last four years, accumulating over 2,000 hours of trouble-free operation.

I fabricated my own parts. I believe Mark Grasser sells the kit needed to install these alternators.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 24SI on Yanmar 4JH4E.pdf (686.9 KB, 81 views)
File Type: pdf Marc Grasser.pdf (547.2 KB, 70 views)
jreyn1944 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternator, size