Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2018, 08:09   #1

Boat: Monohull 34 feet
New solar panel but which one?

Hi guys,

Till now I had this solar panel, because it was flexible and slim: https://www.jws-store.de/solarenergi...stallin/a-194/

But it stoped working already after a year. Now when I read forums the slim ones are not lasting very long or has someone else other experience?

Which ones you can recommend?
Between 140-200 W or 2*100 W

Many thanks

Cpt Balu

Also thinking about getting this mppt charger:
Victron Smartsolar MPPT Laderegler 75/15 15Amper 12V oder 24V inklusiv Bluetooth-VILSS07515
Cpt Balu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 08:21   #2

Boat: Mainship Pilot 34
Re: New solar panel but which one?

Working from the bottom up, that Victron controller is only suitable for about 180 watts. 180/12 = 15 amps the maximum DC output of the controller. But it is a nice and relatively inexpensive controller.

Here in the US, single 100+ watt panels are expensive because they have to be shipped by motor freight. Don't know about Europe.

So, I would use two 100 watt panels assuming they can be shipped cheaply from a supplier like Amazon. Here in the US these are priced at about $100 each for rigid and about $180 each for flexible ones. Then use an inexpensive 20A PWM controller like those from Morningstar. You will lose maybe 10-15% output with the PWM vs an MPPT, but the lower cost makes it worth it IMO.

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 08:59   #3
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

How was it mounted? This is the most common reason for thin panel failure.
Old 08-09-2018, 09:02   #4
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Actually the 75/15 is not overpanelled until 220W.

And that is **actual** watts output from the controller, so going to even 280W (theoretical) **rated** panels would not be losing anything much IRL,

a little loss at rare peak output times is well worth gaining overall average power output per SC

If you saw a great deal on say 40+Voc panels putting out 300W that would still be an ideal match for that controller.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 09:04   #5
cruiser

If you can, go rigid framed panels, last much longer.

Even expensive semi-flex, perfectly mounted, lucky if you average 3 year lifespan.
Old 08-09-2018, 09:34   #6

1) I agree with that Victron BT unit. $118 currently in US--I'm looking at purchasing a few in the coming weeks.

2) the global experience with solar panels seems to be get the cheapest rigid panels you can find (assuming purchased through a common vendor) that fits your space and need. I myself would not be shy about buying second-hand panels with good providence (but only from a prior land install).

3) I don't know the total energy needs or goal

4) The more absolutely dependent you are on solar:
-best to not put all your eggs in one big basket; the larger the basket, the greater the likelihood of shade (on most any sailboat instal). More panels increases cost, complexity, appearance---but just how much redundancy do you need?
- one MPPT per panel if you can swing the $. In the aggregate increase capture and have redundant/spare MPPT on board, but again at a cost. What is the risk/benefit/cost?
- if not one MPPT per panel, avoid serial panel srings unless the string has very similar exposure--in which case maybe you should have just installed a larger panel at a lower cost (if available).

This is my understanding of the conventional wisdom and it is all logical.
Singularity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 08:43   #7

Boat: Gulf 32

Can't speak to the panel, have that exact MPPT charger and have been very happy with it. Get the Bluetooth dongle and you can keep tabs with phone / tablet on how your panels are producing.
Old 09-09-2018, 08:47   #8

Boat: Beneteau first 26

Buy eco worthy or dokio panels from AliExpress , they work well and ship from Europe storage , the price for 100w is 90 or 74 if you get them On offer .
I ordered the same controller as well to replace my.cheap pwm I think is a good choice for up to 200 watt.

I choose the mppt because I can set up the panels on higher voltage and probably get better performance but still haven't test it I hope it worths the money.
gmakhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 09:45   #9
cruiser

The newer SmartSolar line has the dongle functionality built in, only $20 or so more.

Surprised we haven't seen a glut of the old BlueSolar stuff for sale discounted more deeply.
Old 09-09-2018, 10:11   #10

Boat: Beneteau first 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
The newer SmartSolar line has the dongle functionality built in, only $20 or so more.

Surprised we haven't seen a glut of the old BlueSolar stuff for sale discounted more deeply.
Why should they do this ? The old stuff still sells, there people who buying it thinking that there is no need for bleutooth
gmakhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 13:01   #11

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres

For what it is worth, I use solar street lamp controllers. Two of them wired in parallel. They also turn on the masthead lamp when the panels stop charging. They are 100 watt panels and I have two of them. They are also adjustable to some degree. I never had any problems in eight years, but they are heavy glass panels.
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 13:44   #12

Boat: O'Day 40

Is ETFE considered a necessity or is PET okay in temperate regions?
Old 09-09-2018, 14:03   #13

I bought my setup from Windy Nation three seasons back, two 100 watt panels and MPPT controller. They have been great. A good friend who researches and knows about everything told me about Windy Nation.
Gregg927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 14:14   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcboomer View Post
Is ETFE considered a necessity or is PET okay in temperate regions?
Its only a sample of one, but our Lensun ETFE panel has water penetration at the edges and its slowly growing. Hasn't reached the cells yet so still produces full power but just a matter of time. Panel 18 months old.
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 18:05   #15

Boat: Swallow Craft, Swift 33

I purchased my components from Sun Electric in Miami Fl. The Sanyo panels were 250 watts at $.51 per watt. The outback controller was $500. I purchased some brackets and fittings from Garhauer. The major support tubing I purchased locally. Bottom line is a 500 watt system with a MTTP outback controller had a total cost of $1160.
cottonsail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar