Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 24-11-2018, 12:24   #1

Boat: St. Francis 50
Air Conditioning via Solar Panels

Yup. It's possible. It's not cheap, but it changes life aboard.

A few years ago, I commissioned and launched a 50' catamaran with 1.75kw of solar on the roof and 900Ah of 24V lithium batteries. The batteries and inverter proved beefy enough to run two AC units for a few hours at a time, or a single AC unit for 6 or so hours before the generator needed to kick on. I also elected to install a DC generator instead of an AC generator. Everything on the boat is designed to run off the battery bank. The solar array, engine alternators, and DC genset are there just to dump amps into the batteries.

It was an amazing setup. Crossing the Atlantic -- 6,000 miles from South Africa to the Caribbean -- the genset kicked on twice. And we only motored for half a day across the doldrums. The joy of lots of solar and big batteries allowed for life aboard to resemble apartment living (big screen TV, fridges, freezers, hot water, even AC for brief spells).

This was a far cry from my first 5 years living on a boat, where I didn't have a shower or toilet. Nothing wrong with either kind of sailing if you ask me; this thread is about what's possible, not what's necessary.

When I got to Australia for my first refit in three years, I decided to add more solar and two more batteries to my current system. Part of the reason for adding the solar was to extend the bimini out to either side for more shade and rain protection in the cockpit / helm. I was also hoping (dreaming, really) of having a system where AC can be run during sunny days without draining the batteries.

This isn't to sit in the AC on beautiful days; it's to control humidity, mildew, and the wear-and-tear of moisture and a marine environment on personal electronics, clothing, bedding, etc. I live full-time on my boat, and I spend a lot of time in the tropics at anchor in very remote places. Energy independence without sacrificing comfort was the pie-in-the-sky dream. This week, I saw that it is possible.

With 4 more high efficiency 350W LG solar panels, total wattage is now just north of 3kw. Two more Mastervolt batteries gives the 24V bank a total of 1,260Ah.

On a very sunny and abnormally humid day in Australia, we launched the boat and ran the AC for the first time. With the compressor running, the solar was still putting over 20 amps into the batteries! Cooling and dehumidifying the boat while topping up the batteries at the same time!

What I love about this setup is you only need the power when you have the power. When the sun is blasting, you get free air conditioning. And by free, I mean the panels and batteries cost an arm and a leg. But once you have them, life at anchor can be whatever kind of life you prefer.

Battery and solar prices keep coming down while efficiencies go up. I hope what I'm seeing on my boat becomes the norm one day. Fewer generators being installed, more electric engines, more happy cruisers who are out enjoying the nice weather instead of doing the bedding again or treating the forepeak for mildew.
Hugh Howey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air conditioning, panels, solar, solar panels