Yesterday after 2-3 hours of motoring the "battery not charging" warning light suddenly came on. Next day I measured the amps and noticed that the charger
was able to charge the house bank only with 3-4 amps at 12.6 V. Before the warning light came on the alternator
was outputting ~45 amps.
My 450 Ah battery
bank was low (-200 Ah), so the alternator
was running on full capacity that 2-3 hours. Thus my first suspect is that overheating
damaged the alternator. If that's the case is there any means to test that before going to buy a new alternator?
The alternator is 50 amp and from -91, so is it possible that brushes
have gone bad? Or could it be something else? The engine
I have is Volvo Penta
I tried to disconnect the house bank and then the charger
was able to (slowly) rise the already full starter battery
voltage to 14.4V.
All advices highly appreciated!