Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-08-2010, 02:04   #151

Boat: Maverick 400 Catamaran
Thanks Garold

I like the grey colour scheme, it looks very smart. When handling ropes at the back you have to be very careful as it will not take much rope to get in the prop. I guess the advantage is that you get more interior space with the engines moved back. How do you find motoring in rough weather, do the props ever clear the water, or is the distance from the back deceptive in the picture?

Is the second exhaust outlet for your generator?
paulrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 04:30   #152
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: now skippering Syd Harbour charters
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulrack View Post
do the props ever clear the water?
Hi Paul
You might check out post #83 in this 'thread' where hanafe (L400 in Hong Kong...as I recall!?) makes a series of interesting observations, including the props clearing the water.
D&D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 07:33   #153

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulrack View Post
Thanks Garold

I like the grey colour scheme, it looks very smart. When handling ropes at the back you have to be very careful as it will not take much rope to get in the prop. I guess the advantage is that you get more interior space with the engines moved back. How do you find motoring in rough weather, do the props ever clear the water, or is the distance from the back deceptive in the picture?

Is the second exhaust outlet for your generator?

Thanks Paul. We are quite happy with the grey and white colour scheme.

Yes, we are very careful with ropes near the stern, mainly because we have rope cutters. So, if the rope goes in the water, we either get it round the prop and have an untangling issue, or the rope gets shredded and it's back to the chandlers for another over priced rope. My wife does most of the rope handling and she is both skilled and knows the cost of a replacement!

We do have the advantage of greater interior space because the engines are pushed so far back, but the consequence is that you can almost reach the stern drive off the back steps. When motoring we did worry about the drive coming out of the water, but on our boat we haven't noticed too much of a problem so far. The boat does seem to squat down a bit when motoring and maybe this helps.

Yes, the extra exhaust is our genny. I was tempted to put it on the inside of a hull to minimise noise for neighbours but the concensus in the boatyard was that we may then have some issues with fumes gathering between the hulls, and the noise may amplify between the hull. So, after much deliberation, the exhaust is located as far back on the hull as possible so that if we are rafted up it is less bothersome for a neighbour.

Cheers

Garold
Garold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 07:55   #154

Boat: Lagoon 400, HanaFe
Hi Garold,

we have the exhaust pipes between the hull as built in and advised by the ship yard. Isn't it funny. They told us the oppossite. Anyway, we are pleased to have it inside. No noise at all, no fume problem as well. The neighbours are happy. You can, in deed, not hear the genny running from outside of the boat.

Regards
HansFe
hanafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 07:59   #155

Hi Garold

That was good advice on the location of the exhaust. I also thought of putting mine on the inside, but was also advised against it for the same reasons. We were in Croatia on a leopard 46 in the middle of a heatwave. I had moored stern to at the end so the exhaust was clear of any other boats. I did not notice a motor boat slip in next to us. There was a polite knock on the side of the boat and when I went up we were spraying water onto his dinner table!

On my generator instalation on the Maverick I am going to have a water separator in the exhaust so that only the fumes go out the side and the water goes directly into the water. (I think I have that right as that is the way it was explained to me.)

Cheers
Paul
Old 12-08-2010, 08:03   #156

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanafe View Post
Hi Garold,

we have the exhaust pipes between the hull as built in and advised by the ship yard. Isn't it funny. They told us the oppossite. Anyway, we are pleased to have it inside. No noise at all, no fume problem as well. The neighbours are happy. You can, in deed, not hear the genny running from outside of the boat.

Regards
HansFe
Hanafe

If I had read your post before I had to make the decision where to locate the exhaust, I would probably have made the same decision as you. Unfortunately, at the time, it was me vs.the engineers working on my boat. So I went with their experience.

And that's why we must all continue to note our experiences here. Good or bad, big or small. We can all pick up tips from each other. Or at least recognise that there are often several different ways to approach the same issue.

Cheers

Garold
Old 12-08-2010, 08:10   #157

Thanks Hanafe, I echo Garolds comments.

I might well rethink the location of the exhaust. I have wired my boat for a generator, but will only fit it when I take the boat overseas.
Old 12-08-2010, 08:35   #158

Boat: Maine Cat 41
+1 on the outside exhaust. Our cat (and I think most boats) has a "wind vacuum" at the stern that could bring exhaust fumes into the cockpit/salon.

Several years ago, there were a number of CO deaths where kids were playing and swimming off the stern of houseboats in Lake Mead, Nevada while they were running their generators at anchor. Granted, these were with gasoline-powered gens, but...

Fair Winds,
Mike
YOGAO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2010, 00:19   #159

Well guys this boat is doing one of the things that it is good at. Giving us somewhere comfortable to see out some rotten weather.

We are stuck in Portland Marina on the Isle of Portland UK, waiting to go SW and the wind has blown relentlessly from the SW for a couple of days now. We made it this far by plugging a F4/5 for about 3 hours and it wasn't pleasant so I've decided not to do it again until the wind drops or changes direction.

However, as I sit her with coffee, wifi, and a good view I guess that it could be worse. And the heating's on, in the middle of summer! As I look around I can see the low mist covering the top of Isle of Portland but I'm very comfortable. The wife has six books left to read so we are probably fine till after the weekend.

And i comfort myself by looking at the guys in the monohull next door. They must be getting a bit claustrophobic by now.

Cheers

Garold
Old 20-08-2010, 00:32   #160

Hi Garold

What a bummer to get that weather, on the bright side if you were on a monohull your wife would have you heading for home already, or would have booked into an expensive hotel!

I hope you get a break in the weather to have a good cruise.

Cheers
Paul
Old 20-08-2010, 16:41   #161

Boat: Lagoon 400, HanaFe
Hi Guys,
do not be to hard on mono's.
Although a bit more bumpy, in a mono you could propably go upwind under sail and would not sit in the marina. Have a good and safe cruise home!
Cheers HanaFe
hanafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2010, 16:42   #162

Boat: FP Elba 45
Books on board a Lagoon 400

Hello Garold, glad the heater is working well in good old blighty. When you mentioned your good lady only having six boks left, that was the very subject we were discussing, or how many books can one take on board, the good news on books is they provide enjoyable reading, however the bad news is they also provide something that is bulky and quite heavy not desirable on a cat, imagine having a set of encyclopaedia Britannica on board!!!, we have been discussing this very subject planning on how many books can we take on board our new Lagoon 400 due in eleven days time as part of the in house entertainment package, well the electronic age has come to the rescue in the form of a Ipad or the Kindle what a perfect piece of electronic gadgetry, you will be able to have the encyclopaedia Britannica on board and a couple of thousound thrillers as well. I have been studying the pros and cons of both the Ipad and the Kindle, for those that may be interested I copied a link below to one of the best reports on the Kindle. Kind regards Peter
http://www.amazon.com/gp/redirect.html?ie=UTF8&location=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.am azon.com%2Freview%2FR3QM7LGL62MZ4X%3Fie%3DUTF8%26r ef%255F%3Dcm%255Fcr%255Frdp%255Fperm&tag=ereader-2-20&linkCode=ur2&camp=1789&creative=390957
peterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2010, 02:29   #163

English summer?

Well guys, how bad can an English summer get? Raining, windy, and changing every 2-4 hours. Let's just say that if you were playing cricket and hit a six, you would probably lose the ball in the mist.

So, books and wifi become quite important.

My wife bought six books 3 or 4 days ago, and I laughed. But thank goodness she did. She reads pretty speedily normally but in this 'stay in the saloon' weather, she reads about one book a day. Myself, more like one chapter each day.

So Peter, your e-reader idea may be good. However, given that the ipad can be used with all other applications, I think that this may be the one to go for. I have been using my iphone for weather updates, tide info, wind data, news, and some charting. It seems like the Apple products have a wide range of uses. My sister has a 3G ipad and she takes it everywhere and seems to find uses for the varied applications. She saved £200 on a bicycle the other day by quickly price checking a product there and then in the shop and getting them to price match another supplier. Pretty savvy eh?

As for weight, I think that if you are a book reader, then take books. And get rid of something else if you are concerned about the weight. I'd rather leave all my clothes at home rather than cut back on my wife's books! I couldn't make enough converstaion to keep her (or me) interested.

We also had a wifi arial installled and this helps pick up all signals in the area and get much better strength even in poor weather conditions. I'd recommend that all cruisers do some research and look into this with the best kit that is available locally.

Anyway, the wife's just finished another book so I need to dig out another one from under the seating area.

Cheers

Garold
Old 21-08-2010, 02:40   #164

Eleven days to go.

Peter, you must be getting excited.

No surprise that you are planning the details such as books etc.

Keep us all posted with those early thoughts and experiences.

Cheers

Garold
Old 21-08-2010, 03:05   #165
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: now skippering Syd Harbour charters
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garold View Post
how bad can an English summer get?
Hang in there Garold. You sure seem to be doing so rather comfortably!

Being the polite sort of folks that we are, we won't mention any details of Sydney's 'winter' (as that term applies here!) weather.

Peter, we feel your excitement as you look forward to the arrival of your new 'baby'. You and Paul in Cape Town (and really you too Garold) can compare 'proud new father' notes!

Just on monohulls, I'm heading up to Hamilton Island shortly to deliver a 50' Beneteau (ironically named 'Kat'!) back to Sydney, a trip (~850nm) that will certainly (and yet again!) reinforce in my mind why we prefer crusing on catamarans. Kat is a beautiful vessel with classic lines and she sails nicely too, but life during long sea passages (as in things like meals and cleaning up especially, but also the basics like brushing teeth, changing clothes etc etc) is just SO much more awkward heeling. So all you cat owners enjoy your level sea time!
D&D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lagoon, lagoon 400