Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-09-2012, 00:39   #1
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400
New boat problems

I was just reading a thread about someone that bought an older boat and the amount of $$$ they were spending getting it up to scratch and seaworthy for extended cruising and it reminded me of 12 months ago when I was looking at buying my first cruising cat. I was considering older, maybe 8 yrs and one of the biggest arguments against buying new was ironing out the bugs from the factory and setting up a new boat to cruise.
I have to say after 6 months of sailing that the bugs have been very minimal, no more than normal day to day boat maintenance and the setting up for extended cruising (adding solar, wind gen, WM, inverter, additional batteries, safety gear and general living equipment) a very simple and enjoyable process and learning curve.
So from my point of view, the downside of buying new is zero, so long as you don't mind taking the time to buy and install (or have installed as we did) the additional ex factory items.
Also, I think the process has been made a lot easier by having a great broker to deal with and sort out any minor issues, and I would recommend Javier at Catamarans Barcelona to anyone looking at buying a new Lagoon.
Catamarans Barcelona · HOME
Drop me an email if you are in the same boat and require any additional info about the process..
Monte
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 07:49   #2

Boat: Lagoon 400 #181
Our experience with buying a new 400 has been very similar, a lot easier compared to buying and upgrading a used boat which we used to do before. Our new boat issues have been minimal, and we are using her full-time.
yme_bosma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 09:56   #3

Boat: L42
Re: New boat problems

Thank you both for your post, I have been leaning towards new for that very reason. Its good to hear that it can go smoothly, contrary to what I have heard in the past.

Have either of you experienced the Lagoon warranty problems others have posted? Or has you dealer made the difference? Did you have it delivered or picked up in France?

I always appreciate good information about the buying and equipping process. I for one would really enjoy installing much of the upgrades myself. This also has the added benefit of educating me about these systems for future troubleshooting and maintenance. I really need to know how things are installed. Its like an obsessive compulsion of mine. I have been known to take things apart just to make sure I know how it works.

Thanks again for your post, Best of luck in your ownership.
Steve_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 13:11   #4
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

We picked ours up in May from les sables d'olonne in France. Our broker met us and together we met with Oliver from Lagoon and did the handover in a morning. It only took a couple of hours, they showed us the basics and that everything worked/opened/shut etc. Our Broker stayed around a few days to make sure everything was sweet and then we left the Lagoon dock to head to La Rochelle to have some equipment fitted there.
Warranty problems? none so far. Some minor items I just fixed along the way, not worth worrying about a warranty claim. I don't expect Lagoon to fix minor things and I would save making any sort of claim for major structural issues (which I doubt there will be any of). I haven't heard of any specific claim problems or issues.
I like taking stuff apart to see how it works too Steve
Old 02-10-2012, 13:15   #5

Boat: L42

So are you back in Australia now? are somewhere along the way home? Sounds like a fun trip.
Steve_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 13:23   #6
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

currently in the Med Steve, on our way back to Australia slowly..
Theres some details of our trip so far here..
Sephina
Feel free to ask any questions, as I said, if you are considering new and would like to pick up ex factory, I would highly recomend dealing with Javier at Catamarans Barcelona, A good price and great before sale/during and after sales service..
His english is perfect as well as french and spanish so you have no problems with communication.
Old 03-10-2012, 00:15   #7

Boat: Lagoon 440

I dealt with Javier when we were looking at buying our cat, he was a top bloke always happy to go take more pictures for us, when we get over to Barcelona early in 2014 we will have a Wine and Paella with him.

We purchased the second boat we viewed so sadly all the work with Javier prior wasn't finalised, since then i've directed a couple of prospective purchasers to him and they to had good experiences....
Old 03-10-2012, 00:23   #8

Monte you'll have to give me lessons on setting up a blog, just looked at yours = very good..... Cheers Frank
Old 03-10-2012, 00:31   #9
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Thanks Frank, Jen set it up but its pretty straight forward. I started using a program that comes with windows called Live Writer. It works well and you dont need an internet connection while you write, just upload it later. Its as easy as typing a post on CF! Nice weather here now but we aren't too far off heading to Barcelona to leave Sephina for the Winter. Hows things in Croatia?
Old 03-10-2012, 00:35   #10

Ok wouldn't you know it we have Apple Mac's!!!
We back in Aussie for 2 weeks finalising our rego after translations etc, we will winter over there doing most of the planned upgrades before heading to Montenegro Greece, Turkey etc......
Old 03-10-2012, 02:20   #11

Boat: Lagoon 400 #181

Our experience was very similar to Monte's when we picked up ours in Les Sables August 2011. We sailed the boat to the Netherlands to fit out the boat to our wishes, and from there we went south again. Currently in Morocco. Still no major (warranty) issues, just small things. Our dealer was ShipShop from Belgium.
yme_bosma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 10:39   #12

Boat: Lagoon380 Comfort#637
Send a message via Skype™ to careka

Same here, we got our may 2011, and sailed it up from France to Norway, a few samll problems, but all taken care of by our dealer.
So far so good. she is on land now but will be back in the sea tomorrow,

Lagoon 380 Careka
careka is offline   Reply With Quote