Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2016, 12:43   #871

Boat: Richter 42
Re: Weather Routing

Gilletarom,
I put the boundary checking into Weather Routing as a proof of concept, since I did that I have been asked not to make any further changes as Sean is in the process of reworking the whole plugin, so I cannot fix any issues or change any of the code, sorry.

The Weather Routing plugin looks at specific distances to see if it is going to cross land, a boundary, etc, so if your steps are bigger than the boundary then you will get the appearance of the boundary being ignored. This is currently one item you have to be careful about, so either create a bigger boundary giving yourself a 'buffer' of the step size you are using, or very carefully check when a boundary (or land) is encountered and the route changed to cater for this.

Jon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilletarom View Post
hello Sean d'Epagnier,

Another test. Considering many boundary. And we see that the route passes inside a boundary.
jongough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2016, 14:38   #872

Boat: 10.50 mètres

Hello Sean d'Epagnier, hello JonGough,

Anyway, basically the use of boundary almost works correctly. It really is a very useful tool.

For the rest, I know that the version of WR plugin I use is a beta download from the Thingie.

Finally, what annoys me most is that the general settings can not be saved from a weather-route to the next. For example, the angle of upwind, downwind of the forbidden angle, the prohibition on using the plugin Climatology ... Etc ....

Best regards. Gilletarom.

Note : many crash when I stop manually the compilation" then I use (by error) the plugin Climatologie.
But I still have not understand how replicate them.
Gilletarom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2016, 14:42   #873

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Gille, you've made lots of progress. I see Jon has answered one of your questions about boundaries.

You mention having a waypoint turning point. Couldn't this be the same as a small boundary? Its a similar concept.

Gilletarom:
Quote:
Finally, what annoys me most is that the general settings can not be saved from a weather-route to the next. For example, the angle of upwind, downwind of the forbidden angle, the prohibition on using the plugin Climatology ... Etc ....
I agree with you about this problem, but the thing that is most annoying is that my damn boat file keeps getting overwritten with the physical characteristics of Sean's boat and I cannot ever get my dedicated Nell-boat.xml file to be permanently accepted. This has been a problem for quite awhile, and I believe it is a part of an effort to make the plugin "foolproof" for new users who go in and screw around with settings before they know what they are doing.

I would prefer a "Reset" button that takes the plugin settings back to the original, so that a new user can get some results. Then let the user make changes and have them saved permanently! I need to do some more tests with the polar file (.csv) that is used to confirm, but I think my dedicated Nell-polar.csv file does not get saved permanently either.

I think the "Reset" button should be the user's resolution when things are not working as expected. We cannot have this very useful and elegant tool stuck a beginner's levels, to the detriment of experienced users!
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2016, 22:28   #874

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

+++For the reset button with alternative permanent saving of own boar data.

www.ladyrover.jimdo.com
Old 24-02-2016, 08:53   #875

Hello Sean d'Epagnier,

I raised a clean installation of weather-routing.

And I find WR does not back the boat when I click the "Save" button.
I saved the boat in a "xml" thanks to the "Save as" button file. But if you try to import the boat that is not taken into account and must tojours manually enter all the characteristics of the boat '(Length, waterline length, width, Sails).
There is no evidence, however, that WR uses data entered by hand. Maybe he uses only those that appear when "edite" the boat.

However, a first test with Climatology stopped driving anywhere. The route should have the lead where I put the mouse.

Explanation: I manually entered the end route point "50 ° 10 'North and 3 ° 46' W, so I put "-3 ° 46" . But the position taken into account is : (50 ° 10.'; -2 , 23333 ') (I try more than one test. So easy to reproduce I think))

Other problem:
If I delete a waypoint, with the "Del" key, the point is removed from the display but not the internally stored list by WR.

Forgive me, Sean d'Epagnier, but it seems difficult to have confidence now in the results obtained with weather-routing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-02-24-OpenCPN 4.2.0_Weather_routing.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	355.7 KB
ID:	119522   Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-02-24-OpenCPN 4.2.0_Weather_routing_2.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	266.7 KB
ID:	119523  

Old 25-02-2016, 03:16   #876

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by jongough View Post
The Weather Routing plugin looks at specific distances to see if it is going to cross land, a boundary, etc, so if your steps are bigger than the boundary then you will get the appearance of the boundary being ignored. This is currently one item you have to be careful about, so either create a bigger boundary giving yourself a 'buffer' of the step size you are using, or very carefully check when a boundary (or land) is encountered and the route changed to cater for this.

Jon
Jon,

Can it check if the line segment passes through a boundary rather than if the endpoint is just inside the boundary?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilletarom View Post
If you select a configuration and create a new configuration, it should clone the old one rather than using default settings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
I agree with you about this problem, but the thing that is most annoying is that my damn boat file keeps getting overwritten with the physical characteristics of Sean's boat and I cannot ever get my dedicated Nell-boat.xml file to be permanently accepted. This has been a problem for quite
I am rewriting this bit so hold on until I arrive in a month or two with internet.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2016, 06:10   #877
JPF

Since version 4.2 some in the WR configuration some data can not been read. See
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post2054588
and
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post2054583
I tried different setting but none of them seem to change the window. It was working fine in Version 4.0
JPF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2016, 06:34   #878

Save a "New Configuration will save the current settings". Yes, Sean I believe this is true, and I have noticed that... but for some reason have never used it to help me with my problems to get the polar and boat.xml of my boat accepted. This is a new way to think about it! and I will try setting the parameters boat.xml and polar.csv for Nell and then save a new configuration! Why didnt I realize.. if that works I will make a note in the documentation.
Old 25-02-2016, 09:01   #879

Boat: Hylas 44
Send a message via Skype™ to Tbaker

How exactly does one create a boundary? I have not found in the User Manual any information on doing that. When I am using weather routing it dies whenever it gets near any land.

My Boat.xml is also never saving what I manually enter via edit.

Whenever I exit 4.2 it hangs and I have to kill it. This never happened in 4.0.

Tom
Tbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2016, 09:27   #880

hello TBaker,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbaker View Post
How exactly does one create a boundary? I have not found in the User Manual any information on doing that. When I am using weather routing it dies whenever it gets near any land.
...Tom
For create a boundary, you have to use the plugin "OCPN DRaw".

The first version, official, this other plugin is not yet online.

You can find a beta version, which works correctly in the Thingie. See in this thread: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...-139772-9.html

Note that using the "Boundary" already working correctly, without being definitively finalized.
Old 25-02-2016, 09:29   #881
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

Boundaries are objects created with the OCPN Draw-plug-in.

It is still in a beta stadium so not in the list of official plug-ins.
You will find it for testing (Windows) at rgleason's repository for experimental or beta plug-ins - in case you don't build it by yourself.
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2016, 09:39   #882

Ah .... Hubert, this time, I pulled faster than you.
Old 25-02-2016, 09:46   #883
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

Yeah, 1:1
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2016, 13:52   #884

Boat: Richter 42

At the moment OD can only be asked about specific Lat/lon positions. It would be possible to check if a line intersects a boundary, but at the moment I would rather not add that to OD as I want to get it into general use. If you can raise a flyspray on it I can then ensure I get this capability into OD.

It seems that every 'little' request morphs into a much bigger, more involved change, so I don't want to destabilise the plugin at the moment.

Jon

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post
Jon,

Can it check if the line segment passes through a boundary rather than if the endpoint is just inside the boundary?
jongough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2016, 15:39   #885

I think this is a very good idea of Sean's and will try to enter it into tracker for you.

Tags
paracelle, weather