Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-09-2018, 13:28   #1621

Boat: 10.50 mètres
Re: Weather Routing

Hello Sean,
Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post
The reason for the ellipse is the settings you are using in the configuration. You have

MaxDivertedCourse="90"

You should increase this value to widen the search area.
Oups ... I am a stupid man !

Thank you.

Gilletarom.
Gilletarom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2018, 05:10   #1622

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

weather_routing_pi Improvement

Did-g added an toggled eye to the route list and fixed some route position issues.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 07:45   #1623

Boat: Najad 34

All..
Eventually also I have tried Weather routing. I'll give a OCPN training for ocean cruisers so I better learn this plugin.
I'm on Win10 O 486 WR_pi ver.1.12.1 built today. Only grib as source.

I get "Land failed" halfway a route from the Azores to Gibraltar when CM93 is active. Using only GSHHG computing went smooth.
Is that a known problem?

Håkan
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 12:52   #1624

Hakan, with your issue in mind, I downloaded a new 16 day 2.0 degree wind grib for the atlantic. Using 4.8.6 and most recent weather_routing_pi and an old config I had made from provincetown to lizard, set to grib time (at the beginning of the grib file) and checked grib and climatology "most likely" in case the grib time ran out, and then ran it, with CM93 charts turned on. This seemed to complete OK.

That doesn't mean there isn't an issue, I just did not find it.

But perhaps it is some other problem which causes it to fail with CM93 charts on? Because I've never seen this kind of chart dependence, in fact I don't believe wx_routing cares what charts are used, it is using GSHHG and requires the High Resolution download from inside Chartdownloader now. Make sure you have that. Particularly if you have detect land checked.

Try unchecking detect land and leaving CM93 on.
Move your start and finish points out into clear sea, sometimes islands and complicated landmasses with the long 12hour intervals make it not complete.

Try shortening the time interval if you think the landmasses are a problem.

Increase max diverted too.

Gille was having similar trouble which was sorted out here
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post2695715
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (247).jpg
Views:	131
Size:	439.1 KB
ID:	178644  
Old 07-10-2018, 13:05   #1625

Boat: Najad 34

Rick..
Yes strange things happen.

With land check off it was no problem also with active CM93.
With land check on and hidden CM93 chart no problem. (Yes GSHHG is full res.)
Later, after completed calculation, it was working also with viewed CM93 charts. So for the moment this issue is closed. I can't reproduce it anymore.
BTW I can't get Climatology_pi to work properly but has to revert on this later.

Thanks
Håkan
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 13:09   #1626

Here is another trial using an Empty Chart Group with Climatology turned off showing just the high res background outline that wx_routing uses.
The grib file is not long enough and fails with the notice
"Grib; Polar;no data;Land;Failed"

The problem is no grib info.

The second screenshot is showing the different colored climatology isochrones with CM93 charts at the end that are using Climatology 30 yr average data.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot (250).jpg
Views:	132
Size:	430.0 KB
ID:	178645   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (248).jpg
Views:	138
Size:	437.0 KB
ID:	178646  

Old 07-10-2018, 13:14   #1627

Strange, thing. Glad it is working now.

Re Climatology:

BTW I can't get Climatology_pi to work properly but has to revert on this later.

Is it the scaling of the wind roses? See first image FAQ How do I set the Wind Rose settings so that they work right? Set the two settings somewhere around Size:100 and Spacing:100 or Size:125 and Spacing:60. These sometimes get messed up when Climatology is updated from a very older version.

Or is it not working with wx_routing or something?
Old 19-10-2018, 05:17   #1628

when trying the latest weatherrouting_pi I made the following observations:
- to set start end positions the lat/lon format is rather unusual and not in line with the settings of ocpn. Why can the user not select existing waypoints ?
- I set detect land option but route ignores land setting (see attache screenshot)

Generally I got wr_pi only to work on longish distance offshore routing but found it very fragile in coastal areas.

Do I use with 1.12 the latest version?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot (16).jpg
Views:	118
Size:	430.8 KB
ID:	179236  
skipperearly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2018, 05:38   #1629

Boat: Wharram Tiki 46

Is there a way to step thru the route and have the GRIB data synchronized to the position in the route ?

I see that the data for any point on the route can be displayed, but it would be nice to have the whole weather picture as you step through the route without having to continually switch to the GRIB plugin and adjust the date.
NahanniV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2018, 05:40   #1630

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

- The plugin api doesn't allow plugins to enumerate existing waypoints.

- Did you install the high resolution gshhs map for land detection?

How is it fragile?
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2018, 07:42   #1631

Quote:
Originally Posted by NahanniV View Post
Is there a way to step thru the route and have the GRIB data synchronized to the position in the route ?.
Use the Grib_pi controls to change time displayed. Step forward or back, or play....

Quote:
I see that the data for any point on the route can be displayed, but it would be nice to have the whole weather picture as you step through the route without having to continually switch to the GRIB plugin and adjust the date.
The information available at the cursor location is much improved thanks to work by the entire program team. And now the optimal routing displays tough parts of the route in red and good parts in green etc. The plugin has gotten much better with lots of small improvements.

Well, for better general review of the conditions along the routing, I think what we need is a tabular display similar to Grib_pi's Right Click on a location in the chart and pick Weathertable, but use the optimal route and wind, max wind, current, pressure, polar file, etc for the optimal route. See the Grib weathertable below.

I believe there are some problems sharing the grib weather data with weather_routing and then displaying it along with weather_routing calcs. It isn't a trivial matter and I think did-g is working on that, but I am not sure....

If you are interested see Github Issues for this plugin.
Feature Request: Optimal Route Grib Tabular Weather + Boat Data #80
and
View Weather Routing Data - Discussion how to improve #94
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot (263).jpg
Views:	132
Size:	409.0 KB
ID:	179238  
Old 31-10-2018, 05:53   #1632

Hi,

Firstly - many many thanks for taking time to provide and update this plugin - really great work!

I have been playing with the latest version 1.12.1 on windows 10 and CPN 4.8.6 and have a couple of minor problems, the first being that when I open the 'weather route plot', the grid is flickering and glitching out all over the place. Not sure if this is just a graphics card compatibility issue perhaps?

Second is a request, can an allowance for decimal land avoidance be admissible please?

One mile minimum creates some issues around islands etc when it seems that 0 must be selected rather than a desired 0.5.

Also, it looks like it's WIP, but is there going to be the ability to be able to set the conditions for "Comfort" etc relative to the boat's polar?

Oooh, and another thing, can it be that the last configuration settings are recorded as default for the next route, so that one doesn't have to keep going through all of the tack settings and minimum maximum heading angles etc? This would be quite handy as I can imagine most people just want to set their standard routing settings and basically forget them unless they have a specific reason to alter them up.

Once again... Brilliant work! Thank you!

Andrew.
solosails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 22:51   #1633

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by solosails View Post
Hi,

Firstly - many many thanks for taking time to provide and update this plugin - really great work!

I have been playing with the latest version 1.12.1 on windows 10 and CPN 4.8.6 and have a couple of minor problems, the first being that when I open the 'weather route plot', the grid is flickering and glitching out all over the place. Not sure if this is just a graphics card compatibility issue perhaps?
Maybe. The plot is very poor graphics but usually doesn't flicker.

Quote:

Second is a request, can an allowance for decimal land avoidance be admissible please?

One mile minimum creates some issues around islands etc when it seems that 0 must be selected rather than a desired 0.5.

Also, it looks like it's WIP, but is there going to be the ability to be able to set the conditions for "Comfort" etc relative to the boat's polar?
How would you do this? A comfort polar?
Quote:
Oooh, and another thing, can it be that the last configuration settings are recorded as default for the next route, so that one doesn't have to keep going through all of the tack settings and minimum maximum heading angles etc? This would be quite handy as I can imagine most people just want to set their standard routing settings and basically forget them unless they have a specific reason to alter them up.
It does this already.

Create a new configuration with the one you want to clone selected.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 19:44   #1634

Solosails
You should just make your own comfort polar. Dont sail in winds greater than X everything above is 0. Then pick under constraints for wave period and height etc.

The other thing you could do is set the assumed wind percentage to 110% of predicted, that will leave a margin of safety.
Old 05-11-2018, 06:31   #1635

Hi,

Re the comfort polar, I was enquiring more on where it gets the info from in the first place, but is it possible to edit this information yet? I might be missing something there.

I'm just intrigued as the comfort coloured track is very often in the green where I would think it should be orange or red for when beating in some heavier winds.
solosails is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paracelle, weather