Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-02-2024, 08:21   #2446

Boat: St. Francis 44 Mk II (Catamaran)
Send a message via Skype™ to SoggyPaws
Re: Weather Routing

I am Pretty Sure that the big arrows are from the GRIB.
I am doing a multi-day (approx 50 hour) routing, so not sure exactly what day's wind shows when I click on the routing results. Start day? Current Day?
Not sure if the GRIB is showing the day the trip starts,(a few days in the future, on the example I posted), or the current day, or whatever random day I might have left the GRIB on (after browsing the grib), when I did the WR. I will play with it again in the next few days and try to guess at what it's doing.
I think the graphic results (route with relative wind arrows) are nice. I like this depiction. However, to get any details, the graphy thing (View/Plot), which jiggles on Windows, really sucks. Really useless IMHO.
I would love to see a table similar to this one in WR (see screen shot attached). (asked for this several years ago, and of course no joy.) Sean doesn't even want to acknowledge that people might actually have to motor to get where they are going... we are cruising at the Equator where there is no wind, or very very shifty wind ALL THE TIME.
I do have a "motoring" polar, so I can GUESS with the squares when I might be motoring vs sailing. (would be nice to have an icon for each polar to denote which sail is being changed to).
With a simple table as attached, you can see EXACTLY what's going on.
This weather routing app (FastSeas.com) has a simple checkbox associated with the polar that says "Motor at X knots if speed (based on sailing polar) drops below Y knots". Don't need a fancy crossover polar but a simple decision like we'd make when sailing (cruising). "Damn we're going slow, let's crank up the iron genny".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WR Screenshot.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	197.9 KB
ID:	286732  
SoggyPaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2024, 09:51   #2447

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoggyPaws View Post
I am Pretty Sure that the big arrows are from the GRIB.
Ok, try turning off Climatology and see if they are still there.
Then see if you have checked something extra under the grib file under wind.

Quote:
I am doing a multi-day (approx 50 hour) routing, so not sure exactly what day's wind shows when I click on the routing results. Start day? Current Day?
The Grib controls are what control the day shown in the routing, since everything is determined by the grib data. You can "play" the sequence or step through it based upon the time interval used for the calculation of the route. Use the grib control menu.

Quote:
Not sure if the GRIB is showing the day the trip starts,(a few days in the future, on the example I posted), or the current day, or whatever random day I might have left the GRIB on (after browsing the grib), when I did the WR. I will play with it again in the next few days and try to guess at what it's doing.
The Grib time controls the position on the weather route that is currently selected. You should probably review the documentation here
https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...manual_plugins
https://opencpn-manuals.github.io/ma...ing/index.html

Quote:
I think the graphic results (route with relative wind arrows) are nice. I like this depiction. However, to get any details, the graphy thing (View/Plot), which jiggles on Windows, really sucks. Really useless IMHO.
I totally agree with you and we have had this request for a long time.
See Issues here in particular, also on Sean's repo this one
and this one so please add you comments below to these Issues.

Quote:
I would love to see a table similar to this one in WR (see screen shot attached). (asked for this several years ago, and of course no joy.)
Please attach this to the Issue above and describe what you want completely. Thanks.

Quote:
Sean doesn't even want to acknowledge that people might actually have to motor to get where they are going... we are cruising at the Equator where there is no wind, or very very shifty wind ALL THE TIME.I do have a "motoring" polar, so I can GUESS with the squares when I might be motoring vs sailing. (would be nice to have an icon for each polar to denote which sail is being changed to).
Weather routing selects the best polar available, if the wind drops enough, then the motoring polar will take over. I believe that the there should be a clearer indication on the actual routing for sail/power change overs.
Quote:
With a simple table as attached, you can see EXACTLY what's going on.
This weather routing app (FastSeas.com) has a simple checkbox associated with the polar that says "Motor at X knots if speed (based on sailing polar) drops below Y knots". Don't need a fancy crossover polar but a simple decision like we'd make when sailing (cruising). "Damn we're going slow, let's crank up the iron genny".
Yes, that's true, but using a motoring polar is much better because you can adjust speed for following and headwinds, etc.
Please make a new "issue" for Powering and show this and describe it. So it gets considered.

Thanks. Rick
BTW Sean has been working on pypilot almost exclusively. We need someone to help maintain his plugins!!! Big time.
rgleason is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 07:11   #2448

Is there a way to see any routing details such as AWS, AWA, boat speed, what polar is being used (i.e. sailing or motoring) on a completed weather route?
Sabado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2024, 06:09   #2449

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabado View Post
Is there a way to see any routing details such as AWS, AWA, boat speed, what polar is being used (i.e. sailing or motoring) on a completed weather route?

For anyone else looking for this type of data, here's a follow up. While we use OpenCPN for most of our navigation tasks, the weather routing is pretty primitive. That's okay though because it doesn't need to do everything. I spent the weekend setting QTVLM up and after moving my polars (recorded in OpenCPN) and charts over, the weather routing is very nice.

One button direct download of gribs are also very welcome. Anyway, here's a snippet of the table that QTVLM produces after a weather route is created. Again, not a replacement for OpenCPN in my opinion but could be a replacement for Predictwind.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2024-04-08 09-03-45.png
Views:	15
Size:	232.8 KB
ID:	288586  
Sabado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2024, 06:23   #2450

Boat: Amel Sharki

After all qtVlm is a far better software than OpenCPN especially for users with Apple devices because it supports macOS as well as iOS. OpenCPN does not support iOS and so cannot be used for iPhones or iPads.
CarCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2024, 07:14   #2451

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

We have been hoping that Weather_routing would be improved with these kinds of informative screens, however we need a new programmer to take this plugin up and improve it.

Thanks, have added to the end of this RFE. The beginning shows what WR can do.
https://github.com/rgleason/weather_..._pi/issues/120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabado View Post
For anyone else looking for this type of data, here's a follow up. While we use OpenCPN for most of our navigation tasks, the weather routing is pretty primitive. That's okay though because it doesn't need to do everything. I spent the weekend setting QTVLM up and after moving my polars (recorded in OpenCPN) and charts over, the weather routing is very nice.

One button direct download of gribs are also very welcome. Anyway, here's a snippet of the table that QTVLM produces after a weather route is created. Again, not a replacement for OpenCPN in my opinion but could be a replacement for Predictwind.
rgleason is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2024, 08:17   #2452

Boat: 10.50 mètres

Dave,

A version that takes into account the latest version of the language file would be useful to me.

Thanks in advance.
Gilletarom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paracelle, weather