Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-03-2021, 03:38   #571

Re: Radar plugin v5.0.0 released

Hi,
The latest 5.2.0 beta plugin supports Raymarine radars. I installed it and the radar is found and all the adjustments are there but when I start the radar it only rotates couple of rounds and then OpenCPN closes down. Has anyone succeeded with Raymarine?
Kapu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2021, 03:47   #572

Boat: Ovni 385

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapu View Post
Hi,
The latest 5.2.0 beta plugin supports Raymarine radars. I installed it and the radar is found and all the adjustments are there but when I start the radar it only rotates couple of rounds and then OpenCPN closes down. Has anyone succeeded with Raymarine?

Could you try this again. But first modify the (on Windows) opencpn.ini file such that VerboseLog=13. After that run the system as you did before. Then send me the opencpn.log file, you can rename is to opencpn.txt so that this forum will accept it. In case you are on Unix, the configuration file is called opencpn.config.

Douwe Fokkema
Douwe Fokkema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2021, 03:57   #573

Boat: TRT 1200 GT

Hi,

I tested the new 5.2 Beta with my B&G Halo over the weekend and am very happy with it! The new version recognized both Halo A & B every time and seemed to work flawlessly!

Thanks for the great work!

Paul
toolbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2021, 03:58   #574

OK, thanks! I will go to boat yard later this week and do this.
Yes, I'm on Win10. My Raymarine installation is ten years old. Now E120 MFD in cockpit broke down and I'm replacing it with OpenCPN.
Old 24-03-2021, 11:21   #575

Hi Douwe,
I tried again the Raymarin thing and have the log file but it's too large to be uploaded as .txt so I saved it as .doc. I have some difficulties with SeaTalk HS network. It's important to start all devices in correct order otherwise connection fails. This time I couldn't get OpenCPN to recognize Raymarine radar without starting the still working E120 at flybridge. Last time I could
Then I tried to first run radar from E120 and then start OpenCPN. In that case OpenCPN immediately closed down (log file 2).
Attached Files
File Type: doc opencpn.doc (217.8 KB, 22 views)
File Type: doc opencpn2.doc (51.3 KB, 12 views)
Old 24-03-2021, 11:38   #576

Boat: Hood 38 - Wauquiez

Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzag930 View Post
Well now I'm confused. I thought I needed a UDP entry to receive the data, so I entered one into openCPN's connections. I will turn it off and see if things still work. May be a few days until I can report back.
I too have a Quantum 2 connected wirelessly to my Axiom.

How did you connect your Quantum? LAN cable?

I would like to try this too, but am on Windows. Is there some docs around for the Beta?
BigAl.NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2021, 14:33   #577

Boat: Najad 34

BigAl...
In Options->Plugins:
Click "Settings" and change to Beta and click "Update Plugin Catalog Beta".
Select plugin radar_pi and install ...beta5....
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2021, 19:17   #578

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakan View Post
BigAl...
In Options->Plugins:
Click "Settings" and change to Beta and click "Update Plugin Catalog Beta".
Select plugin radar_pi and install ...beta5....
Thanks - I assume the radar needs to be connected to a Seatalk network via cable (not wireless?)
Old 26-03-2021, 08:17   #579

Boat: Nauticat 32

Yes, whatever you are running OpenCPN on (windows, RPi, whatever) needs to be on the same ethernet network as the radar array.

FWIW, Douwe has come a long way with this. I can report that plugin does see my Raymarine RD418HD and knows its state (standby/transmitting) and sees some packets going by, but that's about it. It doesn't control the unit or show any data on the display.

Steve
SCarns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2021, 09:32   #580

Quote:
Hi Douwe,
I tried again the Raymarin thing and have the log file but it's too large to be uploaded as .txt so I saved it as .doc. I have some difficulties with SeaTalk HS network. It's important to start all devices in correct order otherwise connection fails. This time I couldn't get OpenCPN to recognize Raymarine radar without starting the still working E120 at flybridge. Last time I could
Then I tried to first run radar from E120 and then start OpenCPN. In that case OpenCPN immediately closed down (log file 2).
Thanks for the log files. I see that you also have defined a Halo B radar and the emulator. When testing a Raymarine this adds additional complexity (though it should work). So I suggest that in the radar selection (under preferences) you remove the Halo and the emulator.
The Raymarine radar that we have implemented and tested is an older analog radar, connected to a E120 MFD. The network connection was made from the MFD. We have not tested any of the newer digital radars.
Which Raymarine radar do you have and what operating system (Windows or Unix) are you using?
Douwe
Old 26-03-2021, 09:37   #581

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCarns View Post
Yes, whatever you are running OpenCPN on (windows, RPi, whatever) needs to be on the same ethernet network as the radar array.

FWIW, Douwe has come a long way with this. I can report that plugin does see my Raymarine RD418HD and knows its state (standby/transmitting) and sees some packets going by, but that's about it. It doesn't control the unit or show any data on the display.

Steve
Steve,

The RD418HD is not (yet) supported by the plugin. I have only implemented and tested with the older analog radars that are connected to the network through a E120 (or similar) type of display. I would like to add more modern radars like yours or the Quantum, but I lack access to these radars.

Douwe
Old 26-03-2021, 11:50   #582

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douwe Fokkema View Post
Steve,

The RD418HD is not (yet) supported by the plugin. I have only implemented and tested with the older analog radars that are connected to the network through a E120 (or similar) type of display. I would like to add more modern radars like yours or the Quantum, but I lack access to these radars.

Douwe
Ahh bugger so no point in me trying yet (Quantum 2)
Old 26-03-2021, 12:47   #583

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douwe Fokkema View Post
Thanks for the log files. I see that you also have defined a Halo B radar and the emulator. When testing a Raymarine this adds additional complexity (though it should work). So I suggest that in the radar selection (under preferences) you remove the Halo and the emulator.
The Raymarine radar that we have implemented and tested is an older analog radar, connected to a E120 MFD. The network connection was made from the MFD. We have not tested any of the newer digital radars.
Which Raymarine radar do you have and what operating system (Windows or Unix) are you using?
Douwe
If I only define Raymarine then the plugin window doesn't open at all. So, I put in Halo and then Raymarine and then the window opens.
I'm using Win10/64 and the radar is Raymarine HD Digital 48" open array.
Well, I can have radar display on Raytech software but it's a clumsy solution because then I must first climb to flybridge and start the still working MFD.
Thank you for your efforts!
Old 26-03-2021, 18:52   #584

Hi All,
I'm a relatively new OpenCPN user and have just added the Radar plugin. Thanks to all those you produced this great work! My hardware setup seems a little different than what I have read on the forums so I wanted to share it incase it helps any others. I have OpenCPN on a windows PC stick and have set up conneations via a wifi router to both my Vesper Marine XB-8000 and also the Zeus 3 chart plotter to be able to get all main NMEA data. The Vesper is good as it still provide GPS and AIS when the rest of the instruments are off (powered separately) but I was hoping the Zeus 3 might give me the added benefit of providing the radar over wifi. Unfortunately I couldn't get this working so starting looking at an ethernet connection.

I have seen all the descriptions of connecting into the radar RI10, adding a router etc but as the Zeus 3 already has two ethernet connections I decided to try using use one of these rather than the RI10 approach. I was disappointed when I opened up the rear access to the MFD to see both ethernet port were already in use but then realised one was simply a cable already run to the nav station terminating in a Lowrance yellow connector ready for a chart plotter. I cut off the end, replaced with an RJ45 and plugged it directly into the PC. A quick change to PC settings to prioritise internet over wifi and OpenCPN nicely picked up the radar straight off the LAN. Looking through articles on radar hardware setup on the internet, I did not see any mention of checking for a free ethernet port on the MFD before taking the RI10 approach. Perhaps this is worth adding to the hardware installation section of the wiki for setup with a Navico MFD.

Thanks again to all those who have shared information on the setup and produced such great tools.

Dave
TravellingKiwis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2021, 07:49   #585

Quote:
If I only define Raymarine then the plugin window doesn't open at all. So, I put in Halo and then Raymarine and then the window opens.
I'm using Win10/64 and the radar is Raymarine HD Digital 48" open array.
Well, I can have radar display on Raytech software but it's a clumsy solution because then I must first climb to flybridge and start the still working MFD.
Thank you for your efforts!

If you do not see the plugin, click right mouse and select "Control Raymarine E120". This will get you the control menu for this radar. Then use the Window button to get the Hide/Show PPI command. This will get you the radar window. To use the Halo for this does not get you there, that will get you a window for radar that is not present in your system.

Douwe

Tags
lease, plug, radar