Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-08-2019, 09:42   #196

Boat: Najad 34
Re: Radar plugin v5.0.0 released

Duncan..
Don't rush, take your time. Wireshark captures use to take some time to handle. No hurry with this at all. At least for us.

The pcap file use to be rather big also when compressed to zip or 7z. Maximum pdf file size is 2 Mb. Let's see what you get otherwise we take it another way. No problem.

I've never tried a firmware update. Neither by a MFD nor a PC. It may not be worth a trial by a PC if you not have a MFD "in hands".

Håkan
Hakan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2019, 10:50   #197

Boat: KMY Stadtship 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torngat34 View Post
Hakan,

Probably a bit late for me to do another test running Wireshark as we are rushing our preparations to completion before leaving the boat, but I'll try to fit it in. I wonder, can append a WireShark saved file with .pdf extension added?

I am still looking for a MFD to do the firmware update, although I asked Simrad Canada if I could do it from a PC using a direct Ethernet connection to the radar. Here is part of the back and forth we had: "
It looks like you should be able to push the update via your PC. The file type is .riw and not .upd." but I'm not sure I'd comfortable trying that. I think it best to find a MFD.

Duncan

Not sure why Simrad Canada would tell you that, I don't think that will work. Which software program were you supposed to use to do the upgrade?
merrimac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2019, 10:57   #198

Duncan,

I looked at your opencpn.log and opencpn.log_2 files and nowhere is there proof that the radar is actually responding to any transmit request by the plugin.

The most likely culprit is that your firewall is still active in some way and not letting UDP data out of the computer.

Can you either retry with a different computer or wipe the entire system and never install AVG or any other non-Microsoft AV in the first place?

Alternatively, run wireshark from a 2nd computer in the same network as the radar and the computer you are using to control the radar. A wireshark log from the computer itself doesn't prove that the UDP data really gets out onto the network, I'm afraid.
Old 27-08-2019, 11:02   #199

I have all B&G equipment with a Zeus 2 MFD (everything new in 2017). The 4g radar is running the very latest firmware.

We just finished a passage and had the radar functioning through the Zeus MFD for a solid 30 hours without issue.

Today at anchor, I installed the radar plugin and attempted to connect after selecting the Navico A and B.

One I pressed the button to get things started it said "spinning up" then flashed something that looked like standby (it goes fast) then says its transmitting.

I can see random spots and the heading moves as we swing but the radar doesn't seem to be seeing anything. I shut opencpn down and the laptop (it was connected to the B&G wifi.

When I went to the helm, the Zeus was showing the same thing. on the MFD, I can put the radar in and out of standby and it will transmit for a few minutes but then goes right back to showing nothing. This is true of both A and B.

Is it possible that I messed something up by using the plugin?
crayiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2019, 14:34   #200

Quote:
Originally Posted by crayiii View Post
I can see random spots and the heading moves as we swing but the radar doesn't seem to be seeing anything. I shut opencpn down and the laptop (it was connected to the B&G wifi.
The heading doesn’t usually come directly from the radar, so that doesn’t prove anything.

What does the info window say in terms of spokes received (at the bottom of the window?) If it remains at zero, chances are you’re not receiving anything over WiFi.

You will experience up to 50% loss of spoke data when using WiFi. We warned you in the documentation! I don’t have a GoFree WiFi so can’t say whether it should work.

Quote:
When I went to the helm, the Zeus was showing the same thing. on the MFD, I can put the radar in and out of standby and it will transmit for a few minutes but then goes right back to showing nothing. This is true of both A and B.
Have you tried a full power cycle over *everything*?

You may be hitting Sod’s Law and your 4G is experiencing issues, but try resetting it and different gain/sea states.

Quote:
Is it possible that I messed something up by using the plugin?
Rather unlikely in our experience. You’d be the first.
Old 28-08-2019, 04:18   #201

It looks like it's dead. I've power cycled it a few times but it only randomly will start working and show shore (1/4km away) for a few minutes then displays random spots. I'm sure it was simply a coincidence it happened as I was setting up the plugin but at least the until is still under warranty.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190828_070700.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	431.4 KB
ID:	198737  
crayiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2019, 11:46   #202

I need help I use ethernet connection between Simrad radar and opencpn work fine on Rpi but only show initialize in Windows 7 deactivated firewall what else can I do to get it working on Windows how do I see if data is received on Windows
Ivanm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2019, 16:45   #203

Boat: Saxe Ocean

Garmin HD, radar_pi 5.0.3, Win10

Cannot change Range or Sea Clutter from ocpn, start/stop,gain,rain clutter etc works fine.

(Compressed log with pdf-extension attached)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf opencpn.log.zip.pdf (248.7 KB, 36 views)
SamH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2019, 02:12   #204

Radar control window moved out of main window after resize.
How to get i back?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	11.09.29.png
Views:	60
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	198843  
Old 30-08-2019, 12:46   #205

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamH View Post
Radar control window moved out of main window after resize.
How to get i back?
SamH..
Resize of what?? Radar menu can't be resized? But anyhow, try:
First.
Restart OCPN, then right click menu "Hide radar" and then "Show radar" If that doesn't help something strange must have been saved to the config file.

Second.
Close OCPN
Open the opencpn.ini or opencpn.conf depending on your system. (See "About OpenCPN" to find the config file location)
Search for "Radar0ControlPosX="

if Radar0ControlPosX is > 1000 set it to 100, save+close the file and restart O.
If necessary Check also:
Radar0ControlPosY
Radar1ControlPosX
Radar1ControlPosY
for strange values

Håkan
Old 30-08-2019, 13:03   #206

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakan View Post
SamH..
Resize of what?? Radar menu can't be resized?
Håkan
Main window.

Radar0ControlPosY was negative (-106), changed that to positive 106 and radar control is now in view again.
Thanks.
Old 30-08-2019, 13:31   #207

SamH..
Very good you found it but strange what caused it to save a negative value.

Could it be you closed the radar control while the main O window was very small and the radar control window was outside, to the left of O window, and then resized O window back to normal??

If it happens again we may consider to ad a min/max guard to the x/y positions.

Thanks for the report.

Håkan
Old 30-08-2019, 13:49   #208

It is very possible something like that was the case. I was running Wireshark and tailing the log as well trying to figure out what was going on with the range/seaclutter issue. My tiny 15" screen was cluttered with a lot of windows..
However, I am not able to recreate the setting where the top of the control menu is hidden like in the screenshot now.
Old 30-08-2019, 16:23   #209

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivanm View Post
I need help I use ethernet connection between Simrad radar and opencpn work fine on Rpi but only show initialize in Windows 7 deactivated firewall what else can I do to get it working on Windows how do I see if data is received on Windows
Ivanm..
The network card would be set to automatic IP address, DHCP.
If the radar scanner is direct connected to Windows you'll see a Unknown wired network without Internet.
Old 08-09-2019, 05:09   #210

Ivanm..

This is to continue what's discussed here: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post2971176

Thanks to Ivanm's report this bug is probably fixed by Douwe and Kees. I haven't seen this error on my system but the radar_pi version linked below works fine on my system.

Ivanm and/or anyone else on Windows please give this version a test and report back.
Thanks
Håkan

https://ci.appveyor.com/api/buildjob...ov50-win32.exe

Tags
lease, plug, radar