Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-07-2021, 07:36   #16

Re: Radar plugin 5.2.1 released

Hi,

Last summer i ran OpenCPN 5.0 with Radar_pi 5.0.4 and my Garmin xHD 18 and this worked very well. Now I have upgraded OpenCPN to 5.2.4 and Radar_pi to 5.2.1 and the software crash every time I start up the radar. When I click start after the radar has warm up, the echos is displayed for approximatley 180 degrees before OpenCPN hangs and then crash.

I have run this with VerboseLog=13. The log only contain this session from starting up OpenCPN, warm up and start the radar until OpenCPN crash.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf opencpn_log.pdf (1.16 MB, 53 views)
keoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 10:21   #17

Boat: Amel Sharki

Regarding your log there is something wrong configured. The radar_pi receives AIS messages. Don't know how this can happen.
CarCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 13:01   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarCode View Post
Regarding your log there is something wrong configured. The radar_pi receives AIS messages. Don't know how this can happen.
Since I have the option "AIS/ARPA on PPI" enabled, I guess that this is normal? I have tried with that option disabled but the behaviour is the same.
Old 10-07-2021, 14:31   #19

Boat: Phantom 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by keoe View Post
Since I have the option "AIS/ARPA on PPI" enabled, I guess that this is normal? I have tried with that option disabled but the behaviour is the same.
It of course is completely OK, the radar plugin subscribes for the NMEA feed to get the requred position and heading info and AIS messges are part of that feed, just ignore the above post.
You may try to disable all the other plugins and limit the data inputs to minimum to discard as many possible causes of your problem as possible as AFAICT there is nothing that would give us a clue in your log.
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 05:28   #20

Boat: KMY Stadtship 56

@keoe, disregard @Carcode, @nohal is 100% correct. Like @nohal I don't see anything wrong in the log other than that it stops abruptly on the crash. Asides from disabling all other plugins, try VerboseLog = 0 so that we know that the logging is not causing issues either; in the past the logging was not thread-safe and sometimes had issues. Although we believe this to be fixed, it may have resurfaced.

Also disable radar overlay and make sure you have the radar PPI window open.
merrimac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 05:43   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by patskipper View Post
Hi guys, I tried to update (via the plugin Manager) to Plugin 5.2.1 from 5.1.4 on OpenCPN 5.2.4 running on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS - focal

The plugin update breaks and disable the plugins. Once updated, I get an error message when I go in the plugin manager ("Incompatible plugin detected: /home/mine/.local/lib/opencpn/libradar_pi.so").

I think the 5.2.1 package available with the Plugin manager is not compiled for
Ubuntu 20.04 LTS - focal. I'm not sure how to confirm this.

To restore the plugin, I had to import manually the v5.1.4 and uninstall. Close opencpn. Then I re-imported and installed the v5.1.4 to have it works again.
No, the plugin is compiled for 20.04.

The proper procedure to upgrade from an unmanaged plugin to a managed is:

1. Stop OpenCPN

2. Uninstall the unmanaged package or files

If you installed using the Ubuntu package manager, check the exact package name and remove it (I don't remember the exact package name for 5.1.4, something like:

dpkg -l | grep opencpn
apt remove opencpn-radar-pi

3. Start OpenCPN and verify that the radar plugin is not even listed or only as a download at the bottom.

4. Update the catalog and install the plugin.

To be double sure, you can do

lsof -p $(pidof opencpn) | grep libradar

before uninstalling to check where OpenCPN is loading libradar_pi.so from and verify that it is gone from that location before you start OpenCPN again.
Old 13-07-2021, 07:17   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrimac View Post
@keoe, disregard @Carcode, @nohal is 100% correct. Like @nohal I don't see anything wrong in the log other than that it stops abruptly on the crash. Asides from disabling all other plugins, try VerboseLog = 0 so that we know that the logging is not causing issues either; in the past the logging was not thread-safe and sometimes had issues. Although we believe this to be fixed, it may have resurfaced.

Also disable radar overlay and make sure you have the radar PPI window open.
Now I have tried to disable all other plugins and the error remains. I have also shut down all other sensors (when the plugins is disabled) and that doesn't work either. All this is done with VerboseLog=0, PPI open and radar overlay disabled.
One thing I discovered is that the software doesn't crash when the scale is 1/4NM but if I zoom out to 1/2NM (or any other smaller scale) it crash. When I look in the Windows Event Manager, the event point out that it's the radar_pi.dll that causes the crash.

Is there any ideas of how to continue debug this?
Old 14-07-2021, 01:25   #23

Boat: Ovni 385

Quote:
Now I have tried to disable all other plugins and the error remains. I have also shut down all other sensors (when the plugins is disabled) and that doesn't work either. All this is done with VerboseLog=0, PPI open and radar overlay disabled.
One thing I discovered is that the software doesn't crash when the scale is 1/4NM but if I zoom out to 1/2NM (or any other smaller scale) it crash. When I look in the Windows Event Manager, the event point out that it's the radar_pi.dll that causes the crash.

Is there any ideas of how to continue debug this?
This is hard to resolve without debugging on your radar directly. There is only one thing I can think of now. If the radar transmits a package with range 0, radar_pi will crash. The following version is vaccinated against this: https://www.dropbox.com/s/1tetkij9em...win32.exe?dl=0
To try this possibility, first uninstall the managed version that you have now. Then install the version from my dropbox. Get me the log afterwards, better no pdf, only change filename to pdf, or mail me at df at percussion.nl. Where (in Sweden?) are you located?

Douwe Fokkema
Douwe Fokkema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2021, 07:44   #24

Radar plugin 5.2.2 released

In the mean time, we released v5.2.2 which has one functional change: you can now adjust the range of radar returns (echos) in steps of 0.1%; we have found for several Navico radars that the returns map better if we adjust the range by +2.5%.

Please try it and report back what works for you.
Old 15-07-2021, 13:05   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douwe Fokkema View Post
This is hard to resolve without debugging on your radar directly. There is only one thing I can think of now. If the radar transmits a package with range 0, radar_pi will crash. The following version is vaccinated against this: https://www.dropbox.com/s/1tetkij9em...win32.exe?dl=0
To try this possibility, first uninstall the managed version that you have now. Then install the version from my dropbox. Get me the log afterwards, better no pdf, only change filename to pdf, or mail me at df at percussion.nl. Where (in Sweden?) are you located?

Douwe Fokkema
Unfortunately, it crash the same way with your version of the plugin. I attach logfiles (renamed to pdf) where VerboseLog have been 0 and 13. Does this say anything meaningful for you?
For the moment, I am located on the northern part of the Swedish west coast.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf opencpn VerboseLog0.pdf (26.3 KB, 48 views)
File Type: pdf opencpn VerboseLog13.pdf (1.67 MB, 23 views)
Old 15-07-2021, 13:49   #26

Boat: Najad 34

keoe..
Let's see if Douwe can find out anything from the log files. I can't and have a Navico radar scanner myself so I can't either debug.
I've asked trudK45 to have a look if he's available. He has a xHD and have also coded for that radar.
Håkan
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2021, 00:02   #27

Boat: Ovni 385

Quote:
Unfortunately, it crash the same way with your version of the plugin. I attach logfiles (renamed to pdf) where VerboseLog have been 0 and 13. Does this say anything meaningful for you?
For the moment, I am located on the northern part of the Swedish west coast.
Next step is to make a Wireshark recording of a session where the crash occurs. Download Wireshark, free. Select the network interface carrying the data and start recording. Handle the radar such that the radar_pi will crash. Get me the .pcapng file from Wireshark (put it on dropbox, it will be big). With this file I can exactly replay your session. Don't hurry, I am sailing until the end of this month, I can only analyze your file at home.

Douwe
Douwe Fokkema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2021, 07:13   #28

Boat: Allegro 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakan View Post
keoe..
I've asked trudK45 to have a look if he's available. He has a xHD and have also coded for that radar.
Håkan
I had a look at the log-files but they don't really reveal the cause of the crash.
You can see that the radar is in the warmup state and when the warm up timer gets to zero the log output ends.

keoe....
Are you able to make a Wireshark recording of the ethernet traffic on the radar interface ?

Right now I am in Gouthenburg but will soon be on my way to Las Palmas. Otherwise I would be able to assist you if you planed on going south from where you are at the moment.
Unfortunate my boat is neither in Las Palmas, nor is it in Gouthenburg. If it was it would have been a peace of cake to debug the problem. I have never run the radar_pi from a wireshark recording but Douwe probably know how to do this.

Is it possible to back step the revisions and get into a working state ?
hasse_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2021, 09:03   #29

Boat: Najad 34

keoe..
The Wireshark stuff I can handle if needed. Me and my boat is at home for the very moment but If you're close to Orust... just PM for a chat.
Håkan
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2021, 05:04   #30

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Has anyone seen this implementation for Koden?

https://github.com/SailingTools/GLESRadarPC

Perhaps it can be added.

I also found Mark Pitman's pyAirmail interesting
https://github.com/SailingTools/pyAirmail
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lease, plug, plugin, radar