Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2020, 13:14   #91

Boat: Halmatic 30
Re: OpenCPN Version 5.2.0 Released

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wbartoszy View Post
Hi.

I don't know: it's a problem in OpenCPN or in the Dashboard plugin...
After changing the suorce of data about position from "TCP (NMEA0183)" to "SignalK", GNSS data comes in, and openCPN sees it, but the "GPS Status" on "Dashboard" is empty ... (but "Position", "SOG" etc. are correct).

OpenCPN 5.2 on Openplotter 2 on Raspberry Pi 4

BR - Wojtek

If you use SignalK to OpenCPN the number of sats does not show. However it is in the SignalK server. If you use the Tommy Kip SignalK application then you can see the number of sats. You can also see the sats in SignalK diagnostic in OpenPlotter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Schermafdruk van 2020-07-23 12-33-14.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	411.3 KB
ID:	220713  
verkerkbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 00:24   #92

On the MacOS finally got the 'JavaScript_pi' plugin to compile without needing a modified OpenCPN.

For the MacOS the plugin can have the wxStyledTextCtrl compiled and built in to the 'dylib' without the need for any changes to OpenCPN base code.

Mike
Rasbats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 06:32   #93

Boat: Najad 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattzilla View Post
Data is also stopping from multiplexor with OpenCPN running for a few hours - came off watch to all instrument data blank/not updating. Laptop is not sleeping and have disabled USB power management options.

Unplug/replug USB to fix.
Mattzill.. Dave..
On Win10:
I can confirm a similar experience. Two times today a USB port lost connection to O. Unplug-Plug the USB recomposed the data flow in O wo further actions.

If of any relevance this USB is a doubled serials to one USB -> two COM ports. Have been working for years although I've to tweak the registry after every Win10 major update in terms of giving each port a unique name. But since others have seen the same this specialty wouldn't be a relevant cause.
Håkan
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 00:12   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakan View Post
Your observation is correct.
But it's SignalK that not parse the "GSV" sentence to a JSON message. Number of satellites "GPS in View" from GGA are though there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by verkerkbr View Post
If you use SignalK to OpenCPN the number of sats does not show. However it is in the SignalK server. If you use the Tommy Kip SignalK application then you can see the number of sats. You can also see the sats in SignalK diagnostic in OpenPlotter.

I have a GNSS receiver connected (via USB -> Serial (NMEA0183) to the SignalK server. Then the SignalK plugin ("signalk-to-nmea0183") makes data conversations to NMEA0183 format and sends it to port 10110 (if the plugin is deactivated there is NO DATA on port 101110).

Is the GSV sequence sent directly from NMEA0183 GNSS to port 10110 (bypassing SignalK)?

I checked, there is really no (explicit) GSV sequence in the plugin...
But the GSV sequences on the 10110 port after conversion exist...

I have only this one connection 192.168.1.185:10110 in OpenCPN...
I tried OpenCPN on a Raspberry and on an external PC - same effect.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	signalK2nmea0183_noGSV.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	220805   Click image for larger version

Name:	GSV_from_SignalK.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	220806  

Wbartoszy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 01:41   #95

The O-Dashboard instrument "GPS Status" info comes from NMEA "GSV". SignalK NMEA parser don't use GSV so this info is not available as a SignalK JSON message. https://github.com/SignalK/signalk-p...e/master/hooks

The O Dashboard instrument "GPS in view" info comes from NMEA "GGA". SignalK NMEA parser do use GGA so this info is available as a SignalK JSON message; "navigation.gnss.satellites". It's also used by O Dashboard when you have a Signal K protocol connection.

If you feed SignalK with a NMEA0183 GSV message you can of course read it out from a SignalK server as a NMEA0183 message on a TCP/UDP connection since it's only reflected out. On a Signal K protocol connection this info is not available though.
Use the instrument "GPS in view" instead of "GPS status" and you'll see the number of satellites used as long the (GP)GGA message is transferred to SignalK.

Håkan
Old 07-08-2020, 02:04   #96

Quote:
If you feed SignalK with a NMEA0183 GSV message you can of course read it out from a SignalK server as a NMEA0183 message on a TCP/UDP connection since it's only reflected out. On a Signal K protocol connection this info is not available though.
Thanks for explain.

My mistake, I assumed the "conversion" SignalK-> NMEA is a real conversion (not a bypass in this case). I should connect two SignalK servers via SignalK protocol and convert to mnea on the secend one...

This means: NMEA 0183 is "better" than SignalK (in this particular case of course)...
Old 07-08-2020, 02:52   #97

re: "This means: NMEA 0183 is "better" than SignalK (in this particular case of course)"

If you have only NMEA0183 data there's no need to use SignalK if you don't want it. Then you can connect direct to OCPN instead. That's true. But the advantages of SignalK is you can mix different types of connections and collect it as a single source to OCPN. Some sources are not available for OCPN e.g. 1-wire termoelement, I2C compass, NMEA2000 messages from new instruments and so on. Most are conversed to the specific SignalK messages and can be used by OCPN via the Signal K protocol.

If the SignalK team decide to implement the NMEA0183 GSV message and we adapt our Dashboard also GPS status will be read out.

Håkan
Old 07-08-2020, 03:15   #98

Quote:
Oesenc plugin is not in the latest plugin list. The usb sg-lock key shows in usbview.

Perhaps I need a later version of OpenCPn for arm64.

Bram
Looking for the 4.2.10 oesenc plugin. But no find. The Plugin management in the 5.2 Focal version does not yet work. Is there a separate download possible of this plugin ?

Everything is working in the latest 64 bits Ubuntu Focal for the rpi, except the Oesenc plugin.

Bram
Old 07-08-2020, 03:43   #99

Quote:
re: "This means: NMEA 0183 is "better" than SignalK (in this particular case of course)"If the SignalK team decide to implement the NMEA0183 GSV message and we adapt our Dashboard also GPS status will be read out.
And that would be IMHO best solution.
BTW: Or should SignalK use (contain, convert) all NMEA sentences?
Old 07-08-2020, 05:52   #100
Marine Service Provider

Bram...
What is your environment? rPi4? RaspiOS, or something different?
Any more information?

Thanks
Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 08:31   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
Bram...
What is your environment? rPi4? RaspiOS, or something different?
Any more information?

Thanks
Dave

Hi Dave,

the Raspian 64 Raspi OS works very with the 5.2 version. But I always like to try new software.

Ubuntu has just official released the 64 bits Focal ARM64 version for the Raspberry Pi.

This version works very well with the OpenPlotter 5.2 Focal version. The SignalK server is also running.

What is missing the plugin manager to install the Oesenc plug (dongle) for the arm64.

Is it the 4.2.10 version ?

The NMEA2000 input in SignalK with the Canable or NGT-1 is also working.

Regards from a hot Zeeland,

Bram
Old 07-08-2020, 12:36   #102

Quote:
Hi Dave,

the Raspian 64 Raspi OS works very with the 5.2 version. But I always like to try new software.

Ubuntu has just official released the 64 bits Focal ARM64 version for the Raspberry Pi.

This version works very well with the OpenPlotter 5.2 Focal version. The SignalK server is also running.

What is missing the plugin manager to install the Oesenc plug (dongle) for the arm64.

Is it the 4.2.10 version ?

The NMEA2000 input in SignalK with the Canable or NGT-1 is also working.

Regards from a hot Zeeland,

Bram

Hi Dave,

Reuver had available a compiled version of the oesenc plugin version 4.2.14-0.

At first it does not seem to work. Usb dongle not recognised was the message.

This was because libusb-0.1 was missing. After installing this item. Oesenc chart also works on the Ubunto Focal version in combination with the oesenc dongle.

Bram
Old 07-08-2020, 13:42   #103
Marine Service Provider

Bram...
So, all working now?

Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 13:56   #104

Thumbs up Re: OpenCPN Version 5.2.0 Released

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
Bram...
So, all working now?

Dave
Yes, everything is running fine in Focal 64 bits. Especially OpenCPN version 5.2 in combination with the SignalK server. OpenCPN as the chartplotter and the SignalK server as the mainstay for marine data processing..

Thanks for this great software.

Bram
Old 08-08-2020, 01:09   #105

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 382

Congratulations to the development team on V5.2, great work as always!
I have just loaded V5.2 and the latest base map and updates for my AusENC (S63) charts. I subscribe to the charts direct from the Aust Hydrographic Office.
I have noticed two issues with the new version.
1. The boundary of an obstruction area around groups of rocks, shoals etc. is often broken up into many segments, not always meeting, rather than a continuous line. Not all obstruction boundaries are affected, but with those that are, the effect does not seem to change with any settings (Vector Chart Display or User Standard Objects). I've attached two images of the same area, same data files, one from V5.0 (S63 pi V1.12) and the second from V5.2 (S63 pi V1.16.725).
2. Something is happening with the Harbour Area (administrative) setting. With the setting on, to display the Port Limits, I see many lines close to the shoreline, of the same line-type as the actual administrative boundary. These were not evident with V5.0. The direction of the 'tick marks' is not consistently pointing in to the area bounded (and in one case, the direction changes with chart scale).
I'm running on Windows 10 Pro.

Andrew
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Recherche Bay V5_0.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	220873   Click image for larger version

Name:	Recherche Bay V5_2.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	176.2 KB
ID:	220874