Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-11-2009, 15:22   #106

Boat: Tartan 30 - Bluegrass
Send a message via Yahoo to Psyches Send a message via Skype™ to Psyches
I guess another option would be to use KML: http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/kml/marineo...l.php?sort=pgm

That would work w/fast net access but it's limited in cruising usefulness. The result is >1MB and there's no way to size it down ahead of time...you get the whole world, apparently with all the good info (based on a quick eye scan). I'll check with NOAA re: why their rest rss api is dumbed down from their text reports.

Something else you've probably seen but just in case: RSS Libraries and Podcast - NOAA's National Weather Service - lots of good info there...but I guess I'm digressing.

Thomas: I was sending an email to NOAA when I looked closer: the rss feed does have all the info, as accurate as the text report. It wasn't obvious because you get fewer stations (controlled by your lat/lon & interest radius). But you get fixed as well as ships observations - which is nice because a seaman would want info, not just "ship info". Like the KML I mentioned, the ship text report you reference shows the whole world, but just the ships, lots of them. In the cases with less info is shown via rss, the ships are reporting less. At least as far as I can see...fwiw.

Mark
Psyches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2009, 10:09   #107

Boat: Dufour 35
The rss feed is dumbed down a bit, not as much as I said in my earlier post, but to, for wind direction to even 10 degrees for example.
I wish there was a way to tap into all WMO station reports,......
Meanwhile some METAR stations, for example certain airports near the coast and on Islands, could be useful. Metar data can easily be displayed.
On Linux you can just install the "metar" program and
Quote:
$ metar EKCH
EKCH 181750Z 25034G48KT 9999 FEW020 BKN027 09/06 Q0993 TEMPO SHRA BKN020CB
Which just shows that it's a bit gusty in Copenhagen, gusts to 48 kts! No problem to display all this in OpenCPN.

I have done another version of the program where you can limit the ship reports shown to a circle around a given position. This way you only need to display the reports that's interesting to you.
Code:
wx-ndbc.rb  Lat Long Radius Time-interval
where Lat and Long is in decimal degrees, Radius in (nautical) miles,
Time-interval as on the ndbc web page 0= reports this hour, 2= reports the past two hours.
I take for granted that there will be more ship reports at the "synoptic times" of 00, 06, 12 and 18Z than at any other time.

Thomas
Attached Files
File Type: doc wx-ndbc.rb.rar.doc (1.0 KB, 239 views)
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2009, 14:16   #108

Boat: Tartan 30 - Bluegrass
Send a message via Yahoo to Psyches Send a message via Skype™ to Psyches
METAR, WMO, and anon ftp...oh my

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
The rss feed is dumbed down a bit, not as much as I said in my earlier post, but to, for wind direction to even 10 degrees for example.
I'm seeing the same 10 deg resolution for wind direction on the original link you posted (this page). Have you ever seen something finer than 10 deg there, or have you found a specific case where the exact ship reported info is dumbed down for the rss?

Quote:
I wish there was a way to tap into all WMO station reports,......
Meanwhile some METAR stations, for example certain airports near the coast and on Islands, could be useful. Metar data can easily be displayed.
On Linux you can just install the "metar" program and
Which just shows that it's a bit gusty in Copenhagen, gusts to 48 kts! No problem to display all this in OpenCPN.
I haven't done that much looking, but I did find this site for directly tapping into WMO station reports: WMO Stations Informations

It gives only html output and only one site at a time...and to use you'd be depending on service from Saudi Arabia but the output doesn't look too hard to use. There may be others, again I haven't looked much.

It looks like the METAR data is available via XML or CSV here: ADDS DATASERVER - Dataserver General Information and is available (in huge form) via anon ftp here: ftp://tgftp.nws.noaa.gov/data/observ.../metar/cycles/ So to use, folks everywhere wouldn't have to move to linux (kidding, no doubt there are other versions of the metar app)

Quote:
I have done another version of the program where you can limit the ship reports shown to a circle around a given position. This way you only need to display the reports that's interesting to you.
Cool! It'd still be great to get fixed stations too, rather than just ships observations though.
Psyches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2009, 08:17   #109

Boat: Looking for a new boat
ttg and speed
So two quick questions: what does TTG stand for and why can't I get a speed reading anywhere in open CPN...or can I and I am just not seeing it?
unbusted67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2009, 20:07   #110

Boat: Tom Colvin, Saugeen Witch, 34'
building OpenCPN on Mac OSX

Hi,

I'm trying to build openCPN on Mac OSX 10.6.

Downloaded and built wxWidgets 2.8.10 successfully.

When I try to build openCPN I'm getting errors at:

g++ -DPACKAGE_NAME=\"\" -DPACKAGE_TARNAME=\"\" -DPACKAGE_VERSION=\"\" -DPACKAGE_STRING=\"\" -DPACKAGE_BUGREPORT=\"\" -DPACKAGE=\"opencpn\" -DVERSION=\"0.1\" -DINSTALL_PREFIX=\"/usr/local\" -I. -I././include -I././src/nmea0183 -I/usr/X11R6/include -I././src/mygdal -I/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk/usr/X11R6/include -I/opt/wxWidgets/wxMac-2.8.10/osx_build/lib/wx/include/mac-ansi-release-static-2.8 -I/opt/wxWidgets/wxMac-2.8.10/include -I/opt/wxWidgets/wxMac-2.8.10/contrib/include -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_LARGE_FILES -D__WXMAC__ -Wall -g -DUSE_S57 -DUSE_GLU_TESS -Wall -g -fexceptions -fno-stack-protector -I/usr/include/cairo -MT mygeom.o -MD -MP -MF .deps/mygeom.Tpo -c -o mygeom.o `test -f 'src/mygeom.cpp'

first couple of errors are:

src/mygeom.cpp:88:16: error: gl.h: No such file or directory
src/mygeom.cpp:89:17: error: glu.h: No such file or directory

last few lines of errors are:

src/mygeom.cpp:1585: error: variable or field ‘vertexCallback’ declared void
src/mygeom.cpp:1585: error: ‘GLvoid’ was not declared in this scope
src/mygeom.cpp:1585: error: ‘vertex’ was not declared in this scope
make: *** [mygeom.o] Error 1

Any ideas what I'm messing up? Thanks for your help I really appreciate it and look forward to playing with this application.

Ken
kwmcarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2009, 20:40   #111
Marine Service Provider

MAC

kwmcarthur....

Welcome aboard. We definitely need a Mac developer on the team, or at least in the cheerleading section. Opencpn has not been built for Mac for several versions back, and some nice guys are being left out of the fun.

I'm not a Mac guy, so we will try to get thru this as a linux-type build.

First, are you using the current CVS sources? Good.

OK, looks like you are missing OpenGL in your build. I think opengl headers are in a funny place on Mac. Check this out
http://alumni.cs.ucsb.edu/~wombatty/tutorials/opengl_mac_osx.html

When you find gl.h and glu.h , you will need to re-run ./configure like this.

./configure CPPFLAGS=-I/{wherever gl.h is at}

This should allow the compiler to find the headers.

If this doesn't work, come on back and we will try something else.

Good luck
Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2009, 04:57   #112

Boat: Tom Colvin, Saugeen Witch, 34'
mac osx 10.6

bdbcat,

Thanks for your response and ideas.

Mac osx is extension of BSD. Since I don't know mac development, I'm attempting this build with command line; like you would on any unix box.

I am using current source for wxWidgets and openCPN. Per your suggestion, I also assigned current openGL to CPPFLAGS for configure; executed make clean and tried again.

Unfortunately, I think Apple has also extended openGL; maybe in bad way because now build fails on:

g++ -Wall -g -DUSE_S57 -DUSE_GLU_TESS -I//Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.6.sdk/usr/X11/include/GL -Wall -g -fexceptions -fno-stack-protector -I/usr/include/cairo -L/System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Libraries -o opencpn bbox.o ocpn_pixel.o chart1.o chartdb.o chartimg.o chcanv.o concanv.o cutil.o georef.o navutil.o nmea.o routeman.o routeprop.o sercomm.o statwin.o tcmgr.o thumbwin.o options.o wvschart.o about.o ais.o cm93.o latlong.o long.o nmea0183.o response.o rmb.o sentence.o talkerid.o rmc.o hexvalue.o lat.o expid.o wpl.o rte.o hdt.o hdg.o hdm.o scrollingdialog.o s52cnsy.o s52plib.o s52utils.o s57chart.o mygeom.o tri.o ddffielddefn.o ddfmodule.o ddfrecord.o ddfsubfielddefn.o ddffield.o ddfutils.o ddfrecordindex.o cpl_conv.o cpl_csv.o cpl_dir.o cpl_error.o cpl_findfile.o cpl_minixml.o cpl_path.o cpl_string.o cpl_vsisimple.o cplgetsymbol.o ograssemblepolygon.o ogrcurve.o ogrfeature.o ogrfeaturedefn.o ogrfielddefn.o ogrgeometry.o ogrgeometrycollection.o ogrgeometryfactory.o ogrlinearring.o ogrlinestring.o ogrmultilinestring.o ogrmultipoint.o ogrmultipolygon.o ogrpoint.o ogrpolygon.o ogrs57datasource.o ogrlayer.o ogrs57layer.o ogrutils.o s57classregistrar.o s57featuredefns.o s57reader.o gdal_misc.o macsercomm.o macutils.o -L/opt/wxWidgets/wxMac-2.8.10/osx_build/lib -arch i386 -framework IOKit -framework Carbon -framework Cocoa -framework System -framework QuickTime -framework OpenGL -framework AGL /opt/wxWidgets/wxMac-2.8.10/osx_build/lib/libwx_mac_richtext-2.8.a /opt/wxWidgets/wxMac-2.8.10/osx_build/lib/libwx_mac_aui-2.8.a /opt/wxWidgets/wxMac-2.8.10/osx_build/lib/libwx_mac_xrc-2.8.a /opt/wxWidgets/wxMac-2.8.10/osx_build/lib/libwx_mac_qa-2.8.a /opt/wxWidgets/wxMac-2.8.10/osx_build/lib/libwx_mac_html-2.8.a /opt/wxWidgets/wxMac-2.8.10/osx_build/lib/libwx_mac_adv-2.8.a /opt/wxWidgets/wxMac-2.8.10/osx_build/lib/libwx_mac_core-2.8.a /opt/wxWidgets/wxMac-2.8.10/osx_build/lib/libwx_base_carbon_xml-2.8.a /opt/wxWidgets/wxMac-2.8.10/osx_build/lib/libwx_base_carbon_net-2.8.a /opt/wxWidgets/wxMac-2.8.10/osx_build/lib/libwx_base_carbon-2.8.a -framework WebKit -lexpat -lwxtiff-2.8 -lwxjpeg-2.8 -lwxpng-2.8 -lz -lpthread -liconv -lGL -lGLU

then big list of ld warnings indicating .o files are not of required architecture ending with:

ld: warning: in gdal_misc.o, file is not of required architecture
ld: warning: in macsercomm.o, file is not of required architecture
ld: warning: in macutils.o, file is not of required architecture
Undefined symbols:
"_main", referenced from:
start in crt1.10.6.o
ld: symbol(s) not found
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [opencpn] Error 1

I'm not sure if I'm missing something more or if mac architecture is incompatible. Have any ideas? Thanks again.

Ken
kwmcarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2009, 09:30   #113
Marine Service Provider

Mac...

Progress....!

Try

./configure -I/{gl stuff}, -arch i386

Might also want to try to compile from source the wxWidgets generic application. If this works, opencpn is almost certain to compile. And there might be some tips in the wxWidgets forums about generic.cpp compile on Mac.

Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 03:06   #114

I have been playing around a bit more with gpx import.
There has been some requests on this forum for great circle routes in OpenCPN, so why not implement it via gpx import?

Another thing, that Dave may want to contemplate, is to copy ZyGribs version of OpenCPN:s "Measure" utility, that uses great circle calculation. Maybe a switch in the "ToolBox" when you want to activate this way of measuring.

This dump is based on a wpt every 5 degrees of longitude.

Thomas
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gc.png
Views:	633
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	11564  
Attached Files
File Type: doc Great_Circle.gpx.doc (6.3 KB, 255 views)
Old 06-12-2009, 04:11   #115

Boat: Chiquita 46 - Libertalia
Where did you get the great circle from?
Old 06-12-2009, 04:44   #116

There is a JavaScript page floating around that handles a lot of calculation. You can get a popup with all the coordinates. It could be worthwhile to modify this script to print some gxp-xml instead of html. This would fit very nicely into on upcoming OpenCPN.org site.
The procedure would be to simply copy the content of the popup to a local gpx file and then use the "Gpx in" button.
One version of the script here.

The great circle in my last post, however, comes from a script I'm presently fiddling with. One reason was, that I wanted to include "composite sailing", in other words, a course where you limit the maximum lat that is allowed. I haven't done that yet, as I'm trying to sort out some "corner cases".

Thomas
Old 06-12-2009, 07:04   #117

Boat: Chiquita 46 - Libertalia
Nice, thanks
Old 06-12-2009, 08:48   #118

After some more testing/debugging, here is the first version.
Code:
$ ./gc_ver0.1.rb 56 14 -56 -65
Quote:
The format is gc_ver0.1.rb lat_start long_start lat_dest long_dest
The file "Great_Circle.gpx" will be created in your current directory.
Thomas
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	gc1.png
Views:	607
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	11571  
Attached Files
File Type: doc gc_ver0.1.rb.rar.doc (1.8 KB, 243 views)
Old 06-12-2009, 11:22   #119

Composite Sailing....
Picture showing a pure great circle, then composite tracks with max lats of N58, N55 ,N 53 and a rhumb line.

Thomas
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	gc3.png
Views:	608
Size:	131.6 KB
ID:	11575  
Old 06-12-2009, 12:30   #120

Boat: boatless at the moment :-(, Previous Itchen Ferry 25.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
Composite Sailing....
Picture showing a pure great circle, then composite tracks with max lats of N58, N55 ,N 53 and a rhumb line.

Thomas
That looks really cool ... great idea for the planning side.
Rhoel_Asia is offline   Reply With Quote