Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-12-2009, 17:25   #121

Boat: Fantasia 35
Looks great!

However, this should be part of route planning inside of OpenCPN. Where you would define a route, add waypoints, and select either great circle or rhumb line between sets of waypoints. For great circle routes the current course needs to be recomputed and displayed.

Viking Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 04:11   #122

Boat: Dufour 35
Ruby Great Circle and Composite Route Tool.

Here is the latest version of the Great-Circle tool that also is able to calculate composite routes. Note that OpenCPN Version 1.3.5 Build 1210 is not showing correct distance for composite sailing.
I have tried to cover all cases I was able to imagine.
If you want a composite route, it is best to first display the pure great-circle route, it will the be obvious if composite sailing is possible.

I have not written this script because I think that great circles are very useful or important for cruising, but it is interesting to know about great-circles and it was a fun challenge.

In high latitude passage making, where great-circles are much shorter than rhumb lines, I think weather considerations is the most important factor. My plan would be to stay in the Chen-Chesneau Zone A if at all possible ( Ma-Li Chen and Lee S. Chesneau: Heavy Weather Avoidance and Route Design, Concepts and Application of the 500Mb Charts).

I don't think it is of any great importance to integrate great-circle routes into OpenCPN. For the very odd time, when it is actually needed, it is not unreasonable to use an external script.
I hope that OpenCPN in the future will not become a bloated slow Swiss Army Knife of Navigation , but instead stays a sleek fast tool that handles the most important tasks in navigation while en route, really well.
</END_RANT>

Thomas
Attached Files
File Type: doc gc_ver-0.2.rb.rar.doc (3.3 KB, 104 views)
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 16:40   #123

Boat: Fantasia 35
Thomas,

OpenCPN already has and uses great circle calculations. What it lacks is rhumb line calculations. Rhumb line routes are what makes Mercator projections useful.

Paul
Viking Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 17:01   #124

Boat: Gulfstar 37
re Tides and Current info displayed

I am running OpenCPN Version 1.3.5 Build 1122 and have installed charts as follows:

US5CA13M, US5CA41M US5CA42M, US5CA43M, US5CA44M, US5CA45M, US5CA16M, 18680, 18685, 18686, US5CA12M, US5CA21M, US5CA31M

I just discovered that when right clicking on a current or tide station that I get a pop-up box showing the details for that day for that station. I've discovered that one can click next or previous to scroll from day to day. I've also seen that I can set a new system date on my xp-pro system and that date shows up.

I'm just wondering - where is that data coming from and how much of it is there? One person wrote that it is xtides, which is interesting, but I was wondering where the data is stored? In the charts listed above? Part of the openCPN install? I don't think it requires live internet downloads, as I tried it with my wifi turned off and still got data. Is it a strictly mathematical calculation?

I understand as "predictions" that reality may be somewhat different than what shows, but it's a great planning tool.

Lastly, I understand the difference between raster and vector graphics, but of the charts above - which are which. I'm guessing that the numbered charts are raster while the US5... charts are vectory.

It's just a lot of new information for me, and I appreciate anyone's patient explaination.

Robert
sf-robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2009, 04:18   #125

Just a note about running my Ruby programs on windows.
When you install ruby you can choose to include the text editor Scite, this is a good idea.(much more advanced than "Text Editor")
The programs I have uploaded from Linux have LF = line feed as line endings. Windows use CR + LF (CR = carriage return).
Right Click on the downloaded program and choose edit.
This brings up the program in Scite. Go to Options ==> Line End Characters and mark CR+LF and save.
You now have to use cmd.exe also called the Dos-window to run the program. Once it looks similar to this
Quote:
>F:\Thomas\Mine\gc_0.2.1.rb
hit enter and follow the instructions on the screen for how to enter the options.
Latest version with a minor bug fix included.

Thomas
Attached Files
File Type: doc gc_ver-0.2.1.rb.rar.doc (3.4 KB, 110 views)
Old 16-12-2009, 11:51   #126

Again sorry to interrupt and maybe duplicate question [couldn't find it here]...
I have Ubuntu 9.10 and installed the Linux version 1.3.4 In the beginning it worked fine although installing was weird and couldn't find the program start button [ later in usr/local/bin ]. Then all of the sudden loading large amount of maps would crash the program and now I can't even start it anymore... reinstalled without success.
Also have a problem with tracking GPS in USB but that is probably my Garmin Quest problem. Computer see the GPS in USB but not in GPSBabel or any other GPS program.
Thanks for your help.
With kind regards,
Eric
crienoloog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2009, 12:45   #127

If you delete the hidden directory .opencpn in your home directory, and then reinstall you should get going. Also check opencpn.log in your home directory for possible error messages. To start opencpn just write "opencpn" on the command line and hit enter, but there should be a button somewhere in your menu system as well.

Thomas
Old 16-12-2009, 13:11   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
If you delete the hidden directory .opencpn in your home directory, and then reinstall you should get going. Also check opencpn.log in your home directory for possible error messages. To start opencpn just write "opencpn" on the command line and hit enter, but there should be a button somewhere in your menu system as well.

Thomas
Uhhhh.... in Linux?
crienoloog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2009, 14:10   #129

Yeah! Just kidding. No need to reinstall, just restart. No need to delete the whole directory either, but as you just started, you don't have much to loose.
Thomas
Old 16-12-2009, 14:40   #130

Boat: Chiquita 46 - Libertalia
Quote:
Originally Posted by crienoloog View Post
Also have a problem with tracking GPS in USB but that is probably my Garmin Quest problem. Computer see the GPS in USB but not in GPSBabel or any other GPS program.
Take a look at ubuntu forums..
Old 17-12-2009, 12:31   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking Sailor View Post
Thomas,

OpenCPN already has and uses great circle calculations. What it lacks is rhumb line calculations. Rhumb line routes are what makes Mercator projections useful.

Paul
Paul
You were right, until the latest beta. Now OpenCPN has Mercator Sailing but no built in great circle calculation, which in my view is an improvement as OpenCPN only uses Mercator charts.
It all became a bit ridiculous when the measurement tool showed similar distance on a straight line as a great-circle route distance.

Thomas
Old 17-12-2009, 13:17   #132

Displaying charts in Open CPN

Well, the risk of getting an earful, I'd like to back the discussion up a few meters....

Installed OpenCPN (windows Vista), downloaded numerous free ENC charts from NOAA, pointed the Charts directory on the Tools menu to the folder, and clicked "Add Selection" to .txt, .000, and even folders. But, I still get the message "No Charts Available" and just a black screen.

Any suggestions? Sorry for the very basic question when everyone else is talking about the subtleties of AIS, raster, etc I can't even get a simple chart to display on the screen.
brettnkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2009, 14:01   #133

Boat: (Ex) Alu. 60' yacht-"Eight Bells"
Send a message via Skype™ to sinbad7
brettnkay..

Did you highlight each directory containing valid maps before adding them?
If you don't have cm93 maps installed,perhaps you are starting up in a geo location not covered by your installed maps? Try panning to a location you KNOW is covered.
Old 20-12-2009, 06:39   #134
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by brettnkay View Post
"No Charts Available" and just a black screen.

Any suggestions? .
I got that once when playing witht the chart packages. It was looking at the South Pole! So I just scrolled up. It was a bit bizzare. I dont know if thats what your problem is.

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2009, 07:21   #135

Boat: Corbin 39 Special Edition
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f134/opencpn-version-1-3-5-beta-technical-33185-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
Ahoy black-screeners....

This begins to make sense now.

opencpn Beta 1216 indeed sets the application locale to the current user default. This is new.

He further sets (but only for linux) the numeric format to be "C" compatible, which overrides any locale setting, and forces the use of '.' as the decimal separator. This is done to correct a bug in the wxWidgets/clib code for reading numeric values as are found in the config file.

So, the problem: On a windows box, the numeric format is whatever is specified for the user default locale. If the locale uses ',' instead of '.' for decimal separator, then opencpn mis-reads the config file values for initial lat/lon and other stuff, and there are no charts in outer space, or wherever it ends up.

Correct Solution: force "C" numeric format for all platforms. Duh..,

This will be in the next Beta, coming in a day or so.

Anybody see any flaw in this logic?

Sorry for the run-around on this, and thanks Cagney for the ringing bell.

Dave
I believe they found the problem.

Regards,
Extemp.
Extemporaneous is offline   Reply With Quote