Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2017, 04:30   #91

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Re: OpenCPN Beta Version 4.6.22

I think integrating nmea0183 window is a bad idea because with options closed, it will continue. Options freezes all O other functions (properly). Integrating will reduce functionality of the nmea0183 window!
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 04:57   #92

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

I like Hakan/bdbcat move log to left to address Gilletarom problem. Good resolution. Thank you. Now new users will see the nmea window overlaid on chart. Click on that and what happens to options? Closed or stays open? Does options screen stay on top as long as it is open (it should imho) because other O functions are paused.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 05:19   #93

Boat: Valiant 42

O respects the user's desire to pull the debug window to the top when it is clicked. It's a simple matter to get back to the options window using another click. If the debug window obscures the options window it may require the user to move the debug window. But all in all it's not terribly challenging IMO.

If we display NMEA sentences directly in the options window we would most likely open the old debug window when options is closed as long as the NMEA debug checkbox is checked when options shuts down. It will take some time to think this all the way through. Not going to happen "real soon now".
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 05:40   #94

Boat: Najad 34

Rick/TDan...
I agree to let recent code be as it is for now. No need for overdoing this.

TD, if you'd like some challenges try to figure out a method to find any/all connection(s) where NMEA strings are present. Like the function in MaxSea/TimeZero.
Håkan
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 06:39   #95
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakan View Post
TD, if you'd like some challenges try to figure out a method to find any/all connection(s) where NMEA strings are present. Like the function in MaxSea/TimeZero.
Håkan
Including NMEAv4 tagged sentences and NMEA 0183 over light weight IP.
IEC 61162-450 (IEC61162 is NMEA0183)

Hubert
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 08:17   #96

Boat: 10.50 mètres

Yesterday I prepared my old PC ASUS 1001HA which is now equipped under Linux Ubuntu. The one on which I tried the charts "oesENC". I installed O4622 (but, it seems that on the ppa this is only O462 ???).

On this PC, I never managed to install and configure GPSD. So I use the "Serial" connection for the GPS connections (the one with a USB port).

I can create the connection. I can see NMEA sentences scrolling through the NMEA window. I can see the boat (red) position on the map. But it never lasts long. It quickly becomes gray and does not move after that.

And so, I can not save the track nor really see the position of the boat on this PC.

I also observe that if I shut down the PC, at the next boot, the tty port number changes.

I am not able to say if it is O that is in question or if it is the configuration of the PC that is in question. This problem was also present with O461.

Gilletarom
Gilletarom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 10:12   #97

Boat: Halmatic 30

Dear Gille,

look in Synaptic which version is installed. Here it shows 04622. But on the program itself you see 4.6.2.

Serial mouse works very well here. I always use the serial connections.

What are you using as Nemea input device ?

Works very well here in Linux Mint (=ubuntu) and also on my Raspberry Pi with Raspian and OpenPlotter as a multiplexer.

Regards,

Bram

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilletarom View Post
Yesterday I prepared my old PC ASUS 1001HA which is now equipped under Linux Ubuntu. The one on which I tried the charts "oesENC". I installed O4622 (but, it seems that on the ppa this is only O462 ???).

On this PC, I never managed to install and configure GPSD. So I use the "Serial" connection for the GPS connections (the one with a USB port).

I can create the connection. I can see NMEA sentences scrolling through the NMEA window. I can see the boat (red) position on the map. But it never lasts long. It quickly becomes gray and does not move after that.

And so, I can not save the track nor really see the position of the boat on this PC.

I also observe that if I shut down the PC, at the next boot, the tty port number changes.

I am not able to say if it is O that is in question or if it is the configuration of the PC that is in question. This problem was also present with O461.

Gilletarom
verkerkbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 11:15   #98

Hello,

Quote:
Originally Posted by verkerkbr View Post
Dear Gille,

look in Synaptic which version is installed. Here it shows 04622. But on the program itself you see 4.6.2.
Yes, idem on my PC.

Quote:
Serial mouse works very well here. I always use the serial connections.

What are you using as Nemea input device ?
It is a old GPS ND100 of globalsat. It run correctly with W10.
Old 07-08-2017, 11:38   #99
Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcn View Post
P_Dub, Dave...

Touch-screen interface enabled will highlight the WP with one single (left) click

Hubert
Ah ha... I'm using touchscreen in the cockpit and normal mouse at the nav station. Sorry for the confusion.

OK.. so a request.. Can we have something bounding the mark that has its properties dialogue open?

AIS targets already have this. When you open the properties of an AIS target it is highlighted by four corners.

This would be useful on marks too - the rational being that when you have several marks of the same type in an area (wrecks or rocks - whatever) and you then later want to edit them it would be useful to be able to cross-check which one you are editing the properties for.
Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 11:41   #100

Boat: First 18

Quote:

Gilletarom
Hi Gilletarom,

If I understand correctly, this is a USB GPS, right ? Please look into the kernel logs if there aren't some USB disconnections (in a terminal type "dmesg"), this could explain the behaviour (and change in the tty port number).

You can also try connecting the GPS through an externally powered USB hub. Your PC may have trouble giving enough juice to the GPS.

Stelian.
stelian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 11:48   #101
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

Or that never ending problem with the USB connectors - a slight pressure and they are off/on...
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 11:59   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcn View Post
Or that never ending problem with the USB connectors - a slight pressure and they are off/on...
Correct. Or a flacky USB cable.

Either way, the linux kernel logs should show a disconnect / reconnect event.
Old 08-08-2017, 00:54   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcn
Quote:
Originally Posted by stelian View Post
Correct. Or a flacky USB cable.
Either way, the linux kernel logs should show a disconnect / reconnect event.
Which of you two is right?

To my surprise last night, I was able to operate O4622 with this old GPS in serial connection and GPSD connection after changing the USB port on my old PC.

But this morning, ??? Very difficult in serial connection and nothing to do in connection GPSD ....

Well, that's okay for me. This PC under linux is just there for fun ... And do some testing with O.

By the way, with Linux, the window of NMEA sentences remains at the top of the "Options / connections" window.
Old 08-08-2017, 01:42   #104
Marine Service Provider

I have seen several times on old pc's that using usb to serial adapters is unstable. - it seems that the cause for this is that usb ports on ols pc's is often not capable to provide enough power to supply the connected adapter and GPS.
I have used a lot of old pc's for opencpn and the solution is to avoid usb connections and use wif or network nmea feed from a raspberry or similar - that work stable as rock.
Quote:
Which of you two is right?

To my surprise last night, I was able to operate O4622 with this old GPS in serial connection and GPSD connection after changing the USB port on my old PC.

But this morning, ??? Very difficult in serial connection and nothing to do in connection GPSD ....

Well, that's okay for me. This PC under linux is just there for fun ... And do some testing with O.

By the way, with Linux, the window of NMEA sentences remains at the top of the "Options / connections" window.
petter5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 02:00   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by petter5 View Post
I have seen several times on old pc's that using usb to serial adapters is unstable. - it seems that the cause for this is that usb ports on ols pc's is often not capable to provide enough power to supply the connected adapter and GPS.
That's what I said to try using an externally powered USB hub. This will rule out the power problem.

Tags
enc, opencpn