Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.75 average. Display Modes
Old 30-12-2008, 19:59   #76

Thanks Dave!

Now that it "does the math" I can't wait to get my "feet" wet so to speak. Try it next trip out, look good at home.

Dan
Old 01-01-2009, 20:16   #77

Boat: Baba 35 - One With The Wind
1.2.8 is generally working well but... ENC's are still bring OpenCPN to its virtual knees. The RNC's (mainly US East Coast from Long Island to Florida) loaded up in a few minutes, but the ENC set (covers the full set issued by NOAA) took a little over an hour to process (first time program launch). Additionally, the ingest process for any one ENC chart takes 5-15 minutes.

With ENC's and "marinestandard" mode, there's a symbol I've never seen before and which seems a little odd. It looks like this: ( U ) with a line connecting the tops of the two parenthesis. It generally covers the entire chart area, regardless of whether it's land or water. What is this?

FWIW, this is running in 2 gHz Centrino Duo with 2G of RAM and 160G of HDD - an HP Pavilion dv8000 series laptop running WinXP.
Old 06-01-2009, 15:53   #78
Marine Service Provider

OpenCPN ENC performance

RBEmerson....

Thanks again for the feedback.

Something fishy here.
I can load 318 ENC's in about 7 minutes on 2.9 Mhz, 1GB
machine in XP under Linux using VirtualBox, which is not the fastest way to run XP. Single charts ingest in about 1-2 minutes average. I'm not generally happy about this, but the 5-15 minutes you report is, I agree, frankly unacceptable.

Improving XP performance is an area of effort for me recently....

My next trick is to try to run on a middling performance native XP machine, same chart set. We'll see.

Question: Are your ENCs stored on a hard drive, or on CD?
Also, I have found that Mozilla Firefox running, though minimized, consumes an unexpectedly large amount of CPU bandwidth, at least from opencpn's viewpoint. Your experience, too?

Any other user experiences?

Regarding the funny (U) symbol:

The Feature being rendered is M_QUAL, which is a meta-object describing the quality of data shown. The Attribute of interest is CATZOC, or "Category of Zone of Confidence". The value on most US ENCs is "6", or "unassessed".
Thus, the (U).

Read more about this in the S57 Object and Attribute catalog. Here is a link:
Look up M_QUAL and CATZOC

IHO S-57 / ENC - Object and Attribute Catalogue

You can turn this symbol off in opencpn by un-checking the box next to M_QUAL in the Mariners Standard selection listbox.

Dave
Old 06-01-2009, 16:46   #79

RNC's and ENC's are on D:/ which is actually half of a 120G HHD. The same charts work like a charm with Coastal Explorer. I can't say as I've noticed Firefox being overly cycle hungry. FWIW, I'm using FF3. Also, I've played with Chrome on an older machine with 256M(!) and it's clearly less of a demand on the processor. 'Course, security-wise... sorry, Google, but... it's evil.

Gotit on the "U" thingie. I'll kill that forthwith.
Old 06-01-2009, 18:05   #80

Turning off the M_QUAL symbol helped to speed things up a little (not a big surprise there).

The tide icon (on charts) needs some sort of distinction from a day beacon symbol on a raster chart. I was looking around Urbanna, VA and found some day beacon symbols that are tilted more like diamonds, to the point where the tide symbol was lost in them. And hope of adding a "T" (or "C", appropriate) to tide and current points?

Also, maybe it's just a personal quirk, but I find flipping between raster and vector charts a tad distracting. It'd be nice to stick with one format or the other as much as possible. Two options occur to me, one is "ENC|RNC only" and the other would be to allow both, as needed.

Finally, response from scale in seems a little uncertain. That is, I click on scale in and the program does nothing. When I zoom in on a spot and then invoke scale in, it may produce another chart. Having at least a "can't decide which chart you want" response (as opposed to saying nothing), seems in order.
Old 07-01-2009, 06:34   #81

Re: "T" and tide marks, I was thinking of a "T" inside the icon, not near it. Ditto for "C" and current marks.
Old 08-01-2009, 11:22   #82

Boat: Freedom 30
Hello.

I've just made my marine navigation software public to sourceforge. Couldn't continue it by myself anymore. It is written in java and still premature in features but can display multiple raster charts moothly and quickly. I hope we can share ideas. Check it out and feel free to get source codes and algorithms to enhance your project.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/hanghe/

YJ.
Old 29-01-2009, 17:58   #83

Thanks Dave

Just wanted to pass on my thanks for sharing your program.
Very nice features! I particularly like the fact that it handles both RNCs and ENCs.
I am looking forward to giving it a try this spring.
I have one question to see if I have the program setup correctly.
In order to get my USB GPS receiver connected I need to start GPSD manually and then select Network GPSD under NEMA options and localhost under GPSD Server.
Do I have things setup correctly?
Alan
Old 10-03-2009, 18:34   #84
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360
Ingest all ENCs in batch?

Is there a way to ingest all the ENCs in batch? I've looked around and see no mention of this.

-dan
Old 26-03-2009, 16:37   #85
Marine Service Provider

OpenCPN1.3.0 and CM93

Hello folks...

I've returned from a most excellent Bahamas cruise, where I spent a lot of time writing code, in between killing lionfish and spearing the odd slow lobster.....

Opencpn 1.3.0 will be released very shortly, with lots of new features based on user feedback and testing.

One significant new feature is native support for CM93 charts. These charts are delivered in a seamless database which covers the entire navigable world at varying resolutions. The chart database is often seen on CD and shared freely. They may or may not be pirated, and I recommend that you do your own due diligence on this aspect. They are popular in Australasia and Europe, and other places where government charts are expensive or unavailable.

My question is this: Does anyone have a good, virus-free download link for the CM93 database? Opencpn 1.3.0 users will ask, and I'd like to be able to point in the right direction.

Thanks for your continued interest in opencpn.

Look for 1.3.0 about 10 April, 2009.

Users comfortable with CVS and Linux application building may want to experiment with the beta test source code available on the sourceforge opencpn CVS server.

Dave
Old 08-04-2009, 13:44   #86

Boat: Chiquita 46 - Libertalia
I am so pleased that someone is at long last starting a free software take on this front.

I have seen some chart databases floating around on the edonkey network; not sure about the quality or legality of this.

best regards
Old 15-04-2009, 13:23   #87

Slitaz

Hi Dave,

I'm trying to compile the project under slitaz (see slitaz.org) but for now no success. I'm more a hardware guy so I'm building my own chartplotter using an older laptop. I removed the cd drive, replaced harddrive with an compact flash and reduced the power consumtion to 8W, but having trouble with the software. Maybe you can give it a try?

Thanks,

Dusan
Old 15-04-2009, 13:24   #88

By the way, good job Dave!
Old 17-04-2009, 11:36   #89

It seems that someone did it for me. See: SliTaz Community Forum / OpenCPN
It's working!
Old 05-05-2009, 10:18   #90
Marine Service Provider

OpenCPN 1.3.0 Released

Opencpn Version 1.3.0 was released on 5 May, 2009.

This is a major feature enhancement release adding the following new functions and features:

1. CM93 worldwide vector chart support, with automatic chart scaling.
2. Improved AIS target tracking with configurable CPA/collision warning options.
3. GPX compatible waypoint and route exporting tools.
4. Configurable range rings centered on ownship position.
5. And, as usual, miscellaneous bug fixes and user optimizations.

Download the new version at
https://sourceforge.net/projects/opencpn

We welcome all comments and ideas, and especially look forward to your bug reports

Dave, and the Opencpn team.
Closed Thread