Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.75 average. Display Modes
Old 17-09-2008, 09:28   #46

Send a message via AIM to joberlin
Dave,

I'd suggest some basic user instructions/documentation before adding too many new features. It's a slow learning process for me and my confidence is being able to actually use it is low.

John
Old 17-09-2008, 09:39   #47

Send a message via AIM to joberlin
Hello Dave,

You're doing a lot of work on a worthwhile project. Thanks for your work as well as your quick replies.

I have a couple of questions about navigation charts in general.

NOAA provides both ENC and RNC/BSB charts. What is the difference? What are the navigation implications of using one verse the other?

Second, I'm looking for some type of free (or very low cost) electronic charts for Central America. Do you know where I could find these?

Thanks again,
John
Old 19-09-2008, 17:05   #48
Marine Service Provider

Opencpn

John...

Several points here....

1. User documentation. Point well taken. We have some plans in the works for a user guide/help file. Slow progress so far due to resources. Looking for volunteer experienced tech writer.....

2. ENC vs RNC/BSB.
Big topic.

RNCs are scanned images of traditional paper charts. Familiar format. Widely available. Difficult to update. Normal new-user starting point.

ENCs are new format Vector charts. Easily updated dynamically from online sources. Customizable display, by selectively enabling "layers" of information. Free in the US, expensive elsewhere. Intended for large commercial ship operators. Limited support in low-cost navigation software.

Your choice is a matter of personal preference. Most start with RNCs and then later try ENCs as an upgrade as their comfort level and interest warrant. There is no doubt that ENCs are a more complicated beast to work with initially.

3. Free charts for Central America.
Sorry, no info on this. Forum members?

Anyway, good luck, John.

Dave
Old 19-09-2008, 17:07   #49
Marine Service Provider

OpenCPN New Zealand

Whimsical...

Don't know about New Zealand charts. Are they BSB format? Where can I get a sample for testing?

Thanks
Dave
Old 20-09-2008, 03:03   #50

Boat: Schioning 12.3 "Wilderness" Bi-Rig under construction
Send a message via Skype™ to Whimsical
Raster versions
NZMariner has been compiled using the Hydrographic Chart Raster Format (HCRF) v2.0. This format is also used by the United Kingdom Hydrographic Offices' ARCS, (Admiralty Raster Chart Service) and Australian Hydrographic Services' Seafarer products. This compatibility allows mariners to utilise additional RNC coverage's outside of New Zealand waters.
174 MB download
NZMariner - Official Raster Navigational Charts

Vector charts are just comming now
LINZ is currently producing the first official set of ENCs for New Zealand waters. LINZ anticipates issuing ENCs in 2008, beginning with 10 to 20 priority ENCs. These priority ENCs will include the Auckland harbour and approach as well as the Cook Strait crossing, Wellington to Picton.
The release of ENCs for the remainder of New Zealand will be phased in over the next two years.
Electronic Navigation Charts ENCs

I know some poo poo the idea of using the pirate versions of CMap93 but as a backup to using the current CMaps that are either on a card or need a dongle to operate the 93's are the best solution without having to buy 2 copies. I will certainly have them as my backup. It would be wonderful to be able to have one package that will use most available chart types but I would think the reason as to why it won't happen is that the producers such as Cmap demand they don't , to limit the use of pirates and lock people into buying more of their own product.

Mike
Old 20-09-2008, 16:23   #51
Marine Service Provider

opencpn NZMariner

Mike....
Thanks for the link. Evidently, NZMariner is encrypted, and only approved ENC vendors have the key. OpenCPN is (understandably) not on the approved list.

I've written to LINZ asking what needs to be done to get a key for Opencpn. We'll see....

Regarding CM93....
I agree with much of what you say. CM93 is very rough, compared to modern ENCs and proprietary vector products. It does, however, cover most of the navigable world. As a backup for unexpected landfalls, maybe OK.

IMHO, I would not trust the harbor and approach charts in tough conditions.

Still researching technical issues. Some progress so far.

Thanks for your interest
Dave
Old 12-11-2008, 19:16   #52

Hello Dave,
Can I use my own scanned maps and charts with this program?
Thanks
fnoldsalt
Old 12-11-2008, 19:43   #53
Marine Service Provider

Opencpn

Hi fnoldsalt...

Opencpn does not support user-scanned charts.

Just wondering, what areas are you cruising in, and what charts have you scanned?

Dave
Old 17-11-2008, 22:24   #54

Hi bdbcat,

Where can I find openCPN 1.26? only 1.20 is available on SourceForge.net.
by the way, is the source code of openCPN available?

Qinyou
Old 17-11-2008, 23:37   #55

CM93

I think that the ability to use CM93 charting would encourage the widest use of this programme in Europe, Australasie and the far east, many other sailers I know use CM93 and are very happy with it.
Old 18-11-2008, 13:38   #56

To qinyou

Hi!
I can answer this:

OpenCPN 1.2.6 can be found on sourceforge. Go to download>browse all packages and select 1.2.6. or better SourceForge.net: Files

Source files are in opencpn-1.2.6.tar.bz2 You'll need 7zip to open them under windows.
Old 30-11-2008, 11:36   #57

Dave
I would like to request you look into "doing the math" to add the option of displaying feet and fathoms to your product. That is if you really mean "We are committed to bringing OpenCPN up to world-class standard." Thank you for your hard work, while working on and with computers for decades programming has not been my forte. The definable tabbed windows of Navgator Mariner would be something to look at too. I hope your product gains the interest of other sailing programmers and you can get help to see it become all it can be.
Thanks again for you hard work.

Dan
Old 02-12-2008, 06:59   #58

Boat: Baba 35 - One With The Wind
(lurking, reading topic)
Old 02-12-2008, 08:58   #59
Marine Service Provider

Feet/Fathoms/Meters

Dan...

Thanks for your comments.

I assume that you would like to see the conversion of depth units on S57 ENCs only, as this is not practical, and maybe impossible, for Raster RNCs.

Have I got this right?
Should not be too difficult, with a selection option in the S52 Options dialog tab.

I'll look into this idea. Ditto for the definable tabs you mentioned, although I am not now familiar with that function. More info would be helpful.

Dave
Old 02-12-2008, 09:39   #60

Boat: Baba 35 - One With The Wind
+1 on having a choice of units with ENC's. RNC's will, of course, contain whatever units were scanned in. For that matter, the choice of units should be an option throughout the app. SeaClear, for example, seems to be metric, metric, or metric - end of story.
Closed Thread