Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.75 average. Display Modes
Old 24-06-2009, 21:20   #226
Marine Service Provider

For Kermit....

Studying the BSB Chart datum correction solution....

Could you send me by email a small chart which requires the Euro1950 datum correction? I believe the info is in the chart header, but I have no detailed information or spec. With a chart to study, it should be possible to apply the corrections.

Thanks
Dave
Old 24-06-2009, 21:55   #227

Boat: Catamaran Schionning Wilderness 1320, built myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
All...

1. OK, the mouse gets novocaine, or maybe Ritalin. Slowed that baby down, anyway.

Dave
As mouse speed is often an issue (I like a very fast responsive mouse, most visitors are totally helpless ;-)), but this is not usefull @ sea), I found a Logitech G5 mouse, actually a gaming mouse with 3 speed settings directly selected at the mouse.

Not the cheapest, but it saves on batteries and has a rough surface, good for wet hands. Surface looks like badly cracked gelcoat.

----
Where to find this "work in progress" openCPN everybody is talking about here? I only found 1.3.0

Thanks,
Henry
Old 25-06-2009, 02:43   #228

Boat: Chiquita 46 - Libertalia
Quote:
Originally Posted by blubaju View Post
Where to find this "work in progress" openCPN everybody is talking about here? I only found 1.3.0
The version being discussed is the development code. To test it you would have to get it from the CVS as described here and then compile it using a suitable technique under whatever OS you are using.

Quote:
OK, the mouse gets novocaine, or maybe Ritalin. Slowed that baby down, anyway.
That's much better.. particularly considering you won't be browsing around the world underway.. plus random movements etc..

Quote:
1R5GR022.000 Cannot reproduce failure. Anyone else having trouble with this one?
I deleted the previous file under ".opencpn/SENC/", and now its working. Thanks.

Quote:
Dutch chart 1R5MG001.000 fixed. ENC contained light with no (apparent) color. S52 Spec says symbolize as magenta..... OK.
On the newest CVS, this still results in a Segfault for me..

Code:
11:36:24 AM: Initializing Chart /home/XXXXX/Desktop/charts-live/NL-ENC/Delta_Zuidwest/1R5MG001/1R5MG001.000
11:36:24 AM: Building SENC file for /home/XXXXX/Desktop/charts-live/NL-ENC/Delta_Zuidwest/1R5MG001/1R5MG001.000 to /home/XXXXX/.opencpn/SENC/1R5MG001.S57
11:36:24 AM:  S57: Unable to find definition for OBJL=17008

11:36:24 AM:  S57: Unable to find definition for OBJL=17011

11:36:24 AM:  S57: Unable to find definition for OBJL=17016

11:36:24 AM:  S57: Unable to find definition for OBJL=17018

11:36:24 AM:  S57: Unable to find definition for OBJL=17021

11:36:24 AM:  S57: Unable to find definition for OBJL=17029

11:36:24 AM:  S57: Unable to find definition for OBJL=17050

11:36:24 AM:  S57: Unable to find definition for OBJL=17051

11:36:24 AM:  S57: Unable to find definition for OBJL=17055
Same for 1R5GR011.000 (segmentation fault):

Code:
11:40:11 AM: Initializing Chart /home/XXXXX/Desktop/charts-live/NL-ENC/Delta_Zuidwest/1R5GR011/1R5GR011.000
11:40:11 AM: Building SENC file for /home/XXXXX/Desktop/charts-live/NL-ENC/Delta_Zuidwest/1R5GR011/1R5GR011.000 to /home/XXXXX/.opencpn/SENC/1R5GR011.S57
11:40:11 AM:  S57: Unable to find definition for OBJL=17011

11:40:11 AM:  S57: Unable to find definition for OBJL=17018

11:40:11 AM:  S57: Unable to find definition for OBJL=17029

11:40:11 AM:  S57: Unable to find definition for OBJL=17051
If you have any other ideas what I could be doing wrong, please advise!

Compiling these SENC always takes a fair while on 100% CPU, when the programme appears to be hanging. I'm also not getting any depth data (see screenshot below) on any of the vector chart viewing modes.

Many thanks for your work on these, I do appreciate it's for debugging but I'll actually be out there next week
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	opencpn.png
Views:	203
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	8711  
Old 25-06-2009, 04:24   #229
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360
Note: The Netherlands charts come in groups in different folders. Many files exist in more than one folder. Most of the duplicates are exactly the same size, but quite a few vary widely.

I'm was planning creating a list of the charts, putting them all in one directory, and testing the duplicates to see which are better. BUT, since some don't work because of a bug Dave is fixing in the next release, I figured I would hold off until then.

-dan
Old 25-06-2009, 04:45   #230

Very odd re: the NL bugs + duplicates, I thought they're the official government ENCs..

Rotterdam segfaults (1R5NMm03.S57):

Console:

Code:
(opencpn:404): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_gc_set_foreground: assertion `color != NULL' failed
Log:

Code:
01:53:13 PM: Initializing Chart /home/user/Desktop/charts-live/NL-ENC/Rotterdam-Duitsland/1R5NMm03/1R5NMm03.000
01:53:14 PM: Building SENC file for /home/user/Desktop/charts-live/NL-ENC/Rotterdam-Duitsland/1R5NMm03/1R5NMm03.000 to /home/user/.opencpn/SENC/1R5NMm03.S57
01:53:15 PM:  S57: Unable to find definition for OBJL=17004

01:53:15 PM:  S57: Unable to find definition for OBJL=17007

01:53:15 PM:  S57: Unable to find definition for OBJL=17008

01:53:15 PM:  S57: Unable to find definition for OBJL=17010

01:53:15 PM:  S57: Unable to find definition for OBJL=17011

01:53:15 PM:  S57: Unable to find definition for OBJL=17012

01:53:15 PM:  S57: Unable to find definition for OBJL=17016

01:53:15 PM:  S57: Unable to find definition for OBJL=17017

01:53:15 PM:  S57: Unable to find definition for OBJL=17018

01:53:15 PM:  S57: Unable to find definition for OBJL=17020

01:53:15 PM:  S57: Unable to find definition for OBJL=17021

01:53:15 PM:  S57: Unable to find definition for OBJL=17028

01:53:15 PM:  S57: Unable to find definition for OBJL=17050

01:53:15 PM:  S57: Unable to find definition for OBJL=17051

01:53:15 PM:  S57: Unable to find definition for OBJL=17055

01:53:15 PM:  S57: Unable to find definition for OBJL=17059

01:53:15 PM:  S57: Unable to find definition for OBJL=17064
Old 25-06-2009, 06:08   #231
Obsfucator, Second Class

The duplicates make sense. They are in regions that overlap. What's not good is that some are different sizes, dramatically I might add. A few hundred K vs. 3-4 M.

So far, I have checked 10 of the 17 regions.
94 charts total. 52 are duplicated, 42 unique, and 1 empty folder.

I haven't checked the sizes. Once I have the list of dups, I'll check their sizes. I should have it this evening.

-dan
Old 25-06-2009, 16:39   #232

Boat: Cal 34
OK, thanks, I got it to work. I am not quite sure how I did it - but eventually I convinced the Bluetooth app to use Com3. Initially it was still showing up on 17, even though it said it was on 3, but now it really is on 3, let's hope it stays there!

Now all I need is to be in the land of free charts... (I'm in Canada).

Thanks for your help and your efforts here.

Btw, I had to go into the .ini file every time I wanted to try a different COM port, as only whichever one was in the ini file would show up on the list - is that how it's supposed to work? Should I have had more? Not important but it would have made troubleshooting a bit easier.

Thanks!

Quote:
For fionavar....

Current version 1.3.0 only looks at COM1-COM16 for available serial ports.
We do this for performance reasons. Enumerating and checking serial ports on Windows is slow, and affects program startup time.

Is there any way to get your created Bluetooth virtual port within the range of COM1-COM16?
How is that port determined in your system?

Maybe we need to look at more ports in 1.3.2. Comments, anyone?

Thanks for your interest....
Dave
Old 25-06-2009, 17:03   #233

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 37
Linux USB/Serial GPS users (sleep in RAM)

When doing sleep/wake up cycle gpsd/openvpn will loose any USB attached GPS. This problem is coming neither from "gpsd" neither from "opencpn", it is directly related to how Linux handle usbserial devices name.

Our Problem: In default Linux configuration usbserial device name do not depend on "where" you plug the USB/serial adaptator, but on "when" you plug it (1st device gets /dev/ttyUSB0, 2nd /dev/ttyUSB1, ...) Unfortunately even if your GPS/serial-adaptor is unique, after a sleep/wakeup cycle Linux will find /dev/ttyUSB0 busy, and will take next available device name ( ex: /dev/ttyUSB1) .

Linux logic: While Linux algorithm does not make us happy, it is nevertheless logical. Because opencpn/gpsd are not aware of the sleep/wakeup cycle, they keep their device open (ex: /dev/ttyUSB0), but in order to save energy Linux cut down any hot pluggable devices at sleep time, and recreated them later at wakeup time. Unfortunately when Linux try to recreate /dev/ttyUSB0 it find it busy (hoops !! opencpn/gpsd still use it), as a result it takes next available slot (probably /dev/ttyUSB1). This device name change will obviously prevent opencpn/gpsd to restart, this because they are configured with static device name, and are very unhappy when device name change dynamically .

Fulup solution: Because opencpn/gpsd operate with fix device name, the only working option is to provide a fake static name (ex: /dev/gps-usb). This fake name should be a symbolic link on the dynamic device name. This imply to automatically change the link, each time we plug/unplug the GPS or sleep/wakeup our laptop.
As hot pluggable devices are handle by udev, we have to add a custom rule into udev to make sure that each time our GPS/serial-adapter is hot-plug then udev recreates our fake device name. In order to do so

The solution is neither simple, neither complex but require super user acces to your laptop .
  • download http://www.fridu.org/images/opencpn/...-usb-gps.rules into /etc/udev/rule.d
  • update it with your USB device vendor/product ID
  • choose a fix or path dependant name
  • restart udev (/etc/init.d/udev reload)
  • plug/unplug your GPS/serial-adapter
  • check your config works "ls /dev/gps*"
  • update gpsd/opencpn with your choosen device name
  • restart opencpn/gpsd
Modern Laptop don't have any more physical RS232 and most of us use usb/serial converters. While default Linux strategy is fine for a desktop, it is not suitable for a boat where in order to save energy you want to sleep/wake functionally.

I double check with wireshark (my prfered network sniffer) it works like a charme with opencpn connected though gpsd. As my GPS (very cheap SIRF-III) does not support NMEA, I was not able to test this with a direct /dev/xxx access from opencpn.
Old 25-06-2009, 17:04   #234
Marine Service Provider

For idpnd....

1. Soundings on Dutch charts: Surprisingly. there simply aren't any soundings on many (most??) of these inland charts. CM93 is better, really.

2. Segfaults:
If you are up for it, I could teach you how to debug segfaults using a source debugger. If you like, here goes....

1. Get ddd
$sudo apt-get install ddd

2. Change to the opencpn working directory, i.e. where the directories <src> and <include> are.

3. Run ddd
$ddd ./opencpn

4. From ddd upper tool menu, select {Program->Run} (no arguments)

5. Opencpn starts normally. Do whatever you need to do to cause a segfault.

6. Switch back to ddd window select toolbar {Status->Backtrace}.

7. Take a screenshot, and email or post to me.

There, that wasn't too hard.

This kind of backtrace gets me immediately to the crux of the problem, most of the time. It is very useful, and is exactly what I do to isolate segfaults in otherwise running code.

Who said this was really a geek's forum?

Thanks
Dave
Old 25-06-2009, 18:26   #235
Obsfucator, Second Class

Quote:
Who said this was really a geek's forum?
Not me, I hate computers.

Here is the list of Netherlands charts and the folders they are found in. The duplicates are highlighted. Note: These are duplicate FOLDERS, but that may not necessarily translate to duplicate files (although mostly it does).

This link takes you to an intro page that explains the color coding, etc., and a link to the spreadsheet.

List of charts and the duplicates

Next, I gotta go see which of those duplicates are different sizes. There were many more dups than I thought, so it's gonna take a while...

169 total files

69 existed only once.
9 I'm not sure of (.7CB files, from folders with dups, but I don't know if those were dups)
87 duplicated (2 or more copies)
5 empty folders (2 of those duplicated ?!)

Hey, that adds up to 169. I musta counted it right. Or maybe the errors just balanced out.

Then there was one main folder (Vaarwegmarkering) that only had two .xls files. But they weren't spreadsheets.

So, Dave: Do you know what the .XLS and .7CB files are?

-dan
Old 25-06-2009, 18:33   #236

Boat: Cal 34
Com port replicator

I couldn't get my GPS to stay on COM3, so I went poking for a something to fool the computer, and found a little app called XPort that takes COM port input and duplicates it to several other ports. It takes the GPS's COM17 input and spits it back out to however many COMs I need, I had OpenCPN, SeaClear and the frontend programme all running at once, from my little puck GPS. Pretty neat.

FWIW, I mention it in case others have a similar problem or requirement to run several apps from one GPS.

http://curioustech.home.insightbb.com/xport.html
Old 25-06-2009, 19:32   #237
Obsfucator, Second Class

Well, my methodology in finding duplicates is flawed. Silly me, I figured the file names would match the folders. I just found two files in a different folder.

....................Delta_Zuidwest\1R5HD262\1R5HD2 62.000
Dordrecht-Vlaanderen(Schelde-Rijn)\1R5HD262\1R5HD001.000
Dordrecht-Vlaanderen(Schelde-Rijn)\1R5HD262\1R5HD002.000

(Don't know why it's displaying with a space in the first file name...)

I need to get this to a unix box at work so I can write a quick script to do it a little more automatically.

I'll quit bothering you with my progress and just let you know when I've gotten it sorted out and have a download file ready with the best ones consolidated. I won't start testing until Dave has the new version of OpenCPN out that will handle the larger size charts.

-dan
Old 25-06-2009, 21:57   #238
Obsfucator, Second Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacust View Post
I'll quit bothering you with my progress
I lied.

I couldn't wait. So I VPNd to work and did it.

Here is the List of the 24 Netherlands charts that don't match.

The link is at the bottom of the page.

OK, now I'll shut up until I have a download file ready after testing...

-dan
Old 26-06-2009, 02:03   #239

Boat: Catamaran Schionning Wilderness 1320, built myself
Linux distri?

I never used Linux, but maybe openCPN might be a reason to start. Which Linux distribution is easiest compatible with openCPN, I guess it might be installable on all, but which one has most support for easy installing, eg. someone told me Ubuntu is nice, but very "closed", one should stay with their selection of programs. And if it is in German too it would make life easier ;-))

Any quick suggestion?

Thanks

Henry
Old 26-06-2009, 02:25   #240

Quote:
Originally Posted by blubaju View Post
I never used Linux, but maybe openCPN might be a reason to start. Which Linux distribution is easiest compatible with openCPN, I guess it might be installable on all, but which one has most support for easy installing, eg. someone told me Ubuntu is nice, but very "closed", one should stay with their selection of programs. And if it is in German too it would make life easier ;-))
Ubuntu really is best for beginners as it's extremely popular, there's a huge range of packages (nothing closed about it), the installer is fully graphical etc, the support community is friendly. Plus there's an OpenCPN package.. Might be an idea trying to get it into repositories I guess? Will research..

Gibt's natürlich auch auf Deutsch.
Closed Thread