Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.75 average. Display Modes
Old 16-08-2009, 14:26   #616
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360
Well, looks like it may just be a combination of errors. I think the batteries in the mouse are dead. I pulled them out and put them back in and the light doesn't come back on. Maybe it was interfering with the keyboard. The wireless keyboard works fine, now. Then, looks like I may have plugged the PS2 mouse and keyboard in the wrong places. So, that confused the issue.

So, I think it was only coincidence as to the timing of when it happened.

-dan
Old 16-08-2009, 14:56   #617

Boat: Chiquita 46 - Libertalia
Quote:
Originally Posted by unbusted67 View Post
I totally agree. Why can't you select which kind of chart you want to look at? It seems to choose for you on a whim.
How could this be implemented without adding more configuration options? Automatic preference for selected chart type whenever possible, otherwise prioritise vector over raster?
Old 16-08-2009, 15:06   #618
Obsfucator, Second Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by idpnd View Post
How could this be implemented without adding more configuration options? Automatic preference for selected chart type whenever possible, otherwise prioritise vector over raster?
I think it would require more configurations options.

If not, then I think it should default to staying with the chart type you last used. If I am looking at a detailed ENC and I scroll to where there is another detailed ENC, that's what it should show. It's annoying for it to change to a low-detail cm93 so I have to click on the ENC again to see it.

-dan
Old 16-08-2009, 20:24   #619
Marine Service Provider

Auto-Open Chart Type

Hello All...

I see a bug in the Auto-open code....

In cases where a chart is auto-opened, such as when panning off screen, or Auto-following, opencpn is supposed to open a new chart of the same type as was previously shown. Raster-Raster, ENC-ENC, CM93-CM93, etc....

However, a bug crept into the latest release, and all the recent Betas. One consequence of the bug is that whenever opencpn needs a new chart, he will always open first a CM93 chart of similar scale, if installed.

I agree, this can be a little aggravating in real life.

Easily fixed, will be corrected in the next Beta release, due very soon now.

Maybe we do not need a config option for this corrected behaviour, if it seems natural enough?

Thanks for the feedback.
Dave

btw, I am enjoying the CM93 thread.
Old 17-08-2009, 05:06   #620
Obsfucator, Second Class

I can easily live with it just opening a chart of the same type.

But, as a very low priority, it seems like a nice feature to be able to choose a priority.

This bug escaped me because I loaded the latest beta and cm93s at the same time. Thought it was because of the cm93s. I need to be thinking of the testing and avoid things like that in the future.
Old 17-08-2009, 05:37   #621
Obsfucator, Second Class

One other thing:

Some of my raster charts don't load oriented properly. And it seems to be a bunch of them. Specifically the river charts. These came from the free RNC downloads. One is 11514_6.KAP on the Savannah River. It loads across the screen length wise instead of North-up. The ENCs and cm93s are correct for the same locations.

EDIT: Should have mentioned that the chart outlines show correctly. I added the links to the outline shots below. The one for this chart only shows the one outline, because they are exactly on top of each other. But the same thing happens to the one above and below.

For full size screen shots:
cm93
enc
rnc
outlines

-dan
Old 17-08-2009, 05:53   #622

dacust
The chart is being displayed in chart up orientation, if you look at the text on the raster chart you can read it normal left to right.

Dave
That would be a nice option that I have used in other programs that have an option for displaying either chart up, north up or heading up.

Also like you don't have other things to add, it would be nice to have a lock feature added to the Mark/WP properties that would not allow it to be moved or deleted without un-checking the lock option. Thanks Dan
Old 17-08-2009, 10:32   #623

Boat: Dufour 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by raisin56 View Post

Also like you don't have other things to add, it would be nice to have a lock feature added to the Mark/WP properties that would not allow it to be moved or deleted without un-checking the lock option. Thanks Dan

Are you aware of the option Toolbox -->>Etc.-->>Waypoint Locking ?

Thomas
Old 17-08-2009, 11:22   #624

Boat: boatless at the moment :-(, Previous Itchen Ferry 25.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
Are you aware of the option Toolbox -->>Etc.-->>Waypoint Locking ?

Thomas
Another item to add to the documentation - noted :-)
Old 17-08-2009, 12:14   #625

Nope, but I am now. It will work for me....

Thanks Thomas
Old 17-08-2009, 19:03   #626

Oxygen icons

I've modified some Oxygen icons for opencpn.

As you can see once converted to xpms and compiled into the program they do not look nearly as good. Perhaps someone can advise me on how to make them better.

The icons are here: oxygen_opencpn.zip

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	snapshot1.png
Views:	154
Size:	390.2 KB
ID:	9402   Click image for larger version

Name:	snapshot2.png
Views:	147
Size:	113.1 KB
ID:	9403  

Old 17-08-2009, 19:32   #627
Obsfucator, Second Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisin56 View Post
dacust
The chart is being displayed in chart up orientation, if you look at the text on the raster chart you can read it normal left to right.

Dave
That would be a nice option that I have used in other programs that have an option for displaying either chart up, north up or heading up.

Ah, so all the cm93s and ENCs are just built with chart-up being north-up? And most of the coastal BSBs, too.

Yep, another thing for the wish list.

-dan
Old 17-08-2009, 19:34   #628
Obsfucator, Second Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by manimaul View Post
I've modified some Oxygen icons for opencpn.

As you can see once converted to xpms and compiled into the program they do not look nearly as good. Perhaps someone can advise me on how to make them better.
Cool. I like 'em!
Old 17-08-2009, 21:26   #629

Boat: boatless at the moment :-(, Previous Itchen Ferry 25.
Quote:
Originally Posted by manimaul View Post
Perhaps someone can advise me on how to make them better.
You can open xpm in any text editor .. what is being displayed is exactly what is in the file: I suspect the degrading is in the conversion, possibly as a result of the anti-aliasing around the characters. From memory, xpm does not support translucency; a pixel is either on (a colour) or off, transparent.

If the original png uses translucency for anti-aliasing, then the conversion will either round a % value up to 100% or down to 0%. Looking at the Tide xpm, that is what appears to be happening. The solution might be to output the icon on the same Grey as the OpenCPN background, then use PhotoShop to 'magic wand' cut the icon out - that will preserve the Grey anti-aliased edge, forcing the converter to render the edge as 100% in xpm. Using GIF as an intermediate (with the OCPNgrey as the transparent color) should also work.

You can manually edit the XPM by hand using a text editor such as EMACS. This would permit you to correct any odd looking edges.

Rhoel
Old 17-08-2009, 21:41   #630
Marine Service Provider

Icons

Manimaul...

Great work. I like them a lot. Are you a graphics designer?

Rhoel_Asia puts it clearly, as usual.

However, the simple answer is that opencpn expects Toolbar icons to be 32x32 pixels. These XPMs are 36x36. wxWidgets is scaling the icons from 36 to 32, resulting in pixel deletion artifacts, or aliasing problems.

If you create them natively as 32x32, I'm sure that they will display as designed.

With your permission, I'd be happy to include these icons in the distribution, that is if others like them better than the originals. Votes?

By the way, we will need a Toolbar icon for Tracks, very soon now.....
My feeble attempt is attached.

Thanks for the super work.
Dave
Attached Images

Closed Thread