Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.75 average. Display Modes
Old 26-08-2009, 07:05   #766

Boat: (Ex) Alu. 60' yacht-"Eight Bells"
Send a message via Skype™ to sinbad7
Dave..

Automatic selection of chart type when panning seems to work fine with BSB charts but is not working for me with S57 ENC's under Vista...

Also,my apologies re UTC time difference,3 hours as show is correct.

Could you please try to find the time to let OpenCPN display ships name or MMSI when the cursor is passed over an AIS target. Very tedious and time consuming to click EACH AIS target in order to find a specific ship. Thanks for a great program...
Old 26-08-2009, 09:29   #767

Dave..

The latest version of OpenCPN is showing a large network around the world of purple chart outlines which I do not have? My Dutch S57 ENC's are shown in green outline.
These new chart outlines are everywhere and very annoying.
Old 26-08-2009, 09:31   #768

Large scale = Large details, Small scale = Small details

Hi Dave,

I've just been playing with build 825 on Win 2K and can find no problems so far!

A very small nitpick is that the text that comes up when the cursor hovers over a scale button seem to be mislabeled, with "larger scale" really being smaller, and vice versa. I know this is a common misconception concerning chart scales.

Thanks again for your excellent work!

Bill
Old 26-08-2009, 09:47   #769

Boat: boatless at the moment :-(, Previous Itchen Ferry 25.
Routing - works fine now

Hi Dave,

1. The fix on the round world version of the world is now working a treat - exactly was expected ... with the round the world route, if I pan endlessly east or west, the route correctly appears on the newly appearing sector of the globe, route correctly in position. Nice. According to the best speed of the in-design boat, the fastest circumnavigation possible is 271 Days, 12 Hours, 58 Minutes. Considering this, perhaps we should factor in continental drift into the equation.
  2. The on_route_load() refresh is working well on Vista.
  3. External launch of Help working on windows.
Rhoel
Old 26-08-2009, 10:37   #770

Boat: Dufour 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
Hello crew!

Opencpn V1.3.3 Beta Build 825 is available.

Incremental changelog follows:

35. Correct problem with Route->Insert Waypoint...
36. Correct (yet again) pixel and Route calculations near Lon 0 and Lon 180
37. Handle segfault in GTK library code associated with CM93 region calculation,
38 Improve CM93 Chart outline rendering
39. Correct Current Index entries for US West Coast. Linux users need CVS update.
----------Publish Beta 1.3.3 Build 825---------

Enjoy!

Dave
Dave

38 above a clear improvement. Very good. Seems to display the next level at zoom == x2.
37. I'm not sure about this one. I started to get crashes after moving around for 5 - 10 min. I fired up ddd and managed to "catch" the event. I don't think it is interesting were it happened, actually three different places (so far). It comes after moving around in local areas as well as moving across the globe zooming in and out, to check out #38.
36 I don't dare checking !

Thomas
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	snapshot53.png
Views:	205
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	9576  
Old 26-08-2009, 12:11   #771

Boat: Chiquita 46 - Libertalia
I have been using opencpn on the Atlantic around the Canary Isles these days. I have used the gpxlogger programme included with gpsd (ubuntu) for track logging. The one thing I found mildly annpoying was having to create a route everytime I wanted to use the bearing/range/ETA window; a single waypoint should be considered a route, thus allowing for quickly setting a target on the map.

Thanks for your attention
Old 26-08-2009, 15:19   #772

Boat: Hylas 44
Hi Dave

Using build 825 on Vista. The route lines disappear if no waypoint is visible.

Chuck
Old 26-08-2009, 19:17   #773
Marine Service Provider

Cagney....
37 (Segfault): This is a bug in the GTK graphics library. It is well known, but undocumented, with no easy workaround. So, I have eliminated the offending call. Actually make opencpn faster, with no apparent effects unless you are using a partial CM93 dataset, in which case the missing cells may not be rendered with blue WVS default data outlines. Small sacrifice. You can CVS update cm93.cpp to patch your code.

38. I completely eliminated the rendering of A-scale CM93 outlines. No information here, and it clears up some screen clutter.

36. Try it. Come on, you know you want to......

Dave
Old 26-08-2009, 20:30   #774

Boat: Newport 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
Hello crew!

Opencpn V1.3.3 Beta Build 825 is available.

Incremental changelog follows:

35. Correct problem with Route->Insert Waypoint...
36. Correct (yet again) pixel and Route calculations near Lon 0 and Lon 180
37. Handle segfault in GTK library code associated with CM93 region calculation,
38 Improve CM93 Chart outline rendering
39. Correct Current Index entries for US West Coast. Linux users need CVS update.
----------Publish Beta 1.3.3 Build 825---------

Enjoy!

Dave
Dave:

just where is v 1.3.3. Build 825 available for download? Sourceforge still presents v.1.3.2 (7/11/09) for download. Sorry if this is a 'newbie' question, but I'm sure others are mystified, as well.
Old 26-08-2009, 21:07   #775
Marine Service Provider

1.3.3 B825

opencpnbeta
Old 27-08-2009, 07:22   #776

Dave,

With 825, always the same problem. When I do a right click on a track and even if I don't choose anything from the menu, the next right click anywhere on the chart close Opencpn. Am I alone to whom it happens ?

The speed (SOG) which is shown at the bottom is almost half the real speed if I use NetworkGPSD and Localhost. It is correct if I use /dev/ttyUSBx.
Old 27-08-2009, 07:41   #777

Boat: Hylas 44
jpiebrig

You are not alone. I see the same problem with the track menu.

Chuck
Old 27-08-2009, 09:34   #778

Dave.

I hate to add to the problems but I haave just discovered a VERY SERIOUS fault when querying an AIS target. Almost ALL stationary or unknown targets shows completely wrong directions on the map in comparison to it's given course in the Queery box. Most of these ships are shown as steering North on the map. Anybody else seing the same?

I previously had a similar problem with google map displays and it turned out to be caused by a (,) comma as opposed to a (.) point enterpreted wrongly from the NMEA message which ALWAYS uses (.) point. Could that be the problem?
Old 27-08-2009, 10:56   #779

You can see an example of the difference here,the ship is queeried at the same time,once by OpenCPN and the other by Siitech.

http://yachtmarine.com/httpdocs/ACERGY-OPEN.jpg

http://yachtmarine.com/httpdocs/ACERGY-SIITECH.jpg
Old 27-08-2009, 13:11   #780
Marine Service Provider

Sinbad7....

Stationary targets have, by definition, no COG. Opencpn chooses to show them as COG = 000 rather than having them rotate about their position as their own GPS reports varying courses. Targets pointing north provide a quick visual cue that the target may be moored or anchored.

Cruisers at anchor with real GPS's will recognize this phenomenon. COG calculations by GPS receiver at very low speed are generally unreliable. At anchor, a real ship's COG will box the compass continuously.

Resolution: No action.

Dave
Closed Thread