Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-04-2018, 08:36   #1366
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39
Re: Help / FAQ

Rich, you will just need the actual supported version of Android OpenCPN:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....opencpn&hl=en from Dave.

The version you are trying is quite outdated and does not know about plug-ins for example.
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2018, 10:34   #1367

Boat: Najad 34

Rich..
If you have installed the oeSENC plugin, text step is to find the oeSENC Plugin app icon on your device and run it. When started you select "Install OESENC Plugin". Then it will confirm and start OpenCPN. Now, open OpenCPN Tools->Charts and move to and click the tab: oesenc Charts. Here you may first "create a HWID" if you haven't done that before. Then "Add/Update oesenc chartsets". If you already have bought a license it will be visible after login. Otherwise Please visit O-Charts.org to buy the chart set license you want and then retry the add/update. All preparation, download and chart installation will be performed this way.

And for a Android device there's another forum site for further help: https://bigdumboat.com/aocpn/forum/
For further help with oeSENC shop there's a contact button on O-Charts.org.
And always listen to bcn he knows all about this.
Good luck
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2018, 23:24   #1368

Boat: Hunter Pilot 27

Got it working - thanks very much
richlear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2018, 12:40   #1369

I downloaded the most recent OpenCPN, downloaded 2 Florida charts. I can see the red frame of these charts on the primary world map, but not the chart. On the instructional video there is a zoom in and L click move made and suddenly the chart is visible inside the red outline. But I am not able to get this result? How can I get the chart to appear inside the red frame? Greg COwell
gcowelled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2018, 02:11   #1370

Boat: Valiant 42

Down at the bottom of the screen are some green or blue ovals. Click one of these and see what happens.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2018, 06:18   #1371

Thanks for the reply but I don't see any ovals. Tried to attach screen shot but not sure you can see it. Any other thoughts? You can see the red frames which seems to confirm that there are 2 charts there that have been downloaded but are not visible. So close. Greg
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-04-18.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	162.4 KB
ID:	168301  
Old 18-04-2018, 06:26   #1372

Boat: Phantom 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcowelled View Post
Thanks for the reply but I don't see any ovals.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2018-04-18.jpg
Views:	438
Size:	202.9 KB
ID:	168303  
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2018, 06:43   #1373

Hey Nohal, I sure appreciate your reply but I do not see what you are pointing at that will result in making the chart visible. I don't see any blue or green ovals? I did notice that when the cursor is near the bottom of page it turns into green triangle but this does not make the desired chart visible. Thanks. Greg
Old 18-04-2018, 06:51   #1374
Marine Service Provider

Greg...
Just zoom in, and click on the blue box indicated by Nohal arrow.

Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2018, 07:06   #1375

Hey Dave, that simple instruction did it. I must have missed it in the instruction video. Thanks. Greg
Old 23-04-2018, 22:05   #1376
dhr

Re: NMEA information:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blubaju View Post
to avoid copying other pages to this one here, a very informative site with further links to many more pages

Peter Bennett's GPS and NMEA Site

This link is broken. Bunch of other sites also point to it, even him from an earlier site, but can't find the new one...
dhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2018, 12:59   #1377

Boat: Endeavour TrawlerCat 36 - My Bluegill Heaven

need help with a couple of things that i can't seem to find referenced in the help manual online. of course, i've been known to suffer temporary blindness while reading manuals...

1) my AIS targets are all showing up as tiny triangles. used to be large triangles. this might have started when i experimented with "show targets actual size" which is now unclicked but still showing tiny targets, or when i changed ownship to bitmap. have also switched that back to standard icon. is there a setting i'm missing somewhere?

2) on USACE charts of the inland US waterways there are mile markers shown every statute mile. (btw, these show up as "km" in OCPN, but i know it really means mi), and on NOAA charts of the intracoastal waterways there are mile markers shown 5 statute miles. the actual mile number appears in magenta color - very difficult to see and read. i looked thru the user interface options in the options toolbar button and couldn't find those listed to change size or color. is there a way to do this? it's also overlaying the km text which makes it even harder to read, but i don't know if there's really a fix for that.

thanks!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	mile marker snap shot.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	173536  
BluegillBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 03:22   #1378

(First post on the forum )

I signed up to the forum to find help with OpenCPN (4.8.6). I’m running it on a decent spec laptop ( Intel i7 quadcore 2.2Ghz, 16GB RAM, SSD 256Gb.. Win10 pro ver1803 x64 (up to date)) with a handheld Garmin for the moment, but I’m having some stability issues. I’ve read a large part of the Wiki and have the recommended C++ 2008 libraries in place, using Google earth 7.0.2.8415). I don’t see any errors in my install.log

Before I get into specifics. Is there a consensus on what might provide the most stable OS and OPenCPN version, I could run OSX or Linux(Ubuntu), if that would improve matters? Maybe Win10 is still a bit exotic.

I’m not sure if this is the right place on the forum to discuss these, if not please let me know where to repost.

Some of my issues, sorry for the long list.

- 1- Through the running of the application, in the forefront, it continually has a blinking spinning circle, indicating a background task is pausing the application. This pausing not there with any other window in the fore front or when I close OpenCPN.

- 2- In general the application seems slow, even though I don’t see any high utilization on the vitals of the laptop. Opening the OpenCPN options screen takes a minimum of 5sec sometimes more..

- 3- I’ve had a few times where OpenCPN would not launch properly, I would have to go into the task manager to stop it or reinstall all to gather
- Othertimes Opencpn would freeze, & I would have to go into the systems Task manager to stop it.

- 4- The Google earth (version 7.0.2.8415) plugin would popup saying an “unexpected error occurred”, this would also freeze OpenCPN & I would have to go into the systems Task manager to stop it.

- 5- I’ve had a few times while zooming that the Global map would become severely distorted, i.e. Australia being connected to Europe, etc..

A nice to have: I’m also looking for is a Global map with a better coastal outline then the one that comes standard. Something like the PredictWind default Global map would be very nice.

Can I enable logging, or is there a log file I can look at?

Ask me any question to try and investigate further.

Thanks!
Stino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 04:09   #1379

Is there any option, I can record positions every hour or periodic time intervals?
oztek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 04:25   #1380

Boat: Dufour 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by oztek View Post
Is there any option, I can record positions every hour or periodic time intervals?
OpenCPN already does this for you. In the file opencpn.log the position is recorded every half hour. Like this
Quote:
09:00:00 BST: LOGBOOK: 2018-08-09 09:00:00 UTC GPS Lat 56.58973 Lon 8.58340 COG 56.40000 SOG 5.20 kts
The setting cannot be changed, unless you hack the code and recompile.

To find this file, have a look at the button "About OpenCPN" in the toolbar.
The button looks like a blue book with a "?".

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote