Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-07-2019, 22:21   #1516

Location: Currently cruising the Philippines, just got back from PNG & Solomons
Boat: Wauquiez 45' (now 48') catamaran
Send a message via Skype™ to Jon Hacking
Re: Help / FAQ

We've been making a TON of mbtiles, now that v5 supports them. But these files are BIG, often >1GB. At present, v5 defaults to waking up with the mbtiles selected & active. This is a bit silly, especially when I have multiple (sometimes overlapping) mbtiles loaded, as I don't even know which one I'm looking at.

Is there any way to tell v5 to wake up with just the CM93 files visible & the mbtiles Xed out? TIA
Old 25-07-2019, 23:17   #1517

Boat: Dufour 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Hacking View Post
We've been making a TON of mbtiles, now that v5 supports them. But these files are BIG, often >1GB. At present, v5 defaults to waking up with the mbtiles selected & active. This is a bit silly, especially when I have multiple (sometimes overlapping) mbtiles loaded, as I don't even know which one I'm looking at.

Is there any way to tell v5 to wake up with just the CM93 files visible & the mbtiles Xed out? TIA
Just change to CM93 before you close OpenCPN. Best is also to close O in an orderly fashion, not just turning off your computer.

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2019, 23:18   #1518
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

Use chart groups - what you will probably do already - and close with a group that does not contain mbTiles.
Or apply a template at recover a "clean" screen at start.

Hubert
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2019, 23:53   #1519

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
Just change to CM93 before you close OpenCPN. Thomas
Thanks, Thomas. I think that's how OpenCPN is *supposed* to work, but it doesn't (at least, not on my system). Have you tried it yourself?

Hubert, that would add several clicks & a lot of time (since the Options menu now takes forever to wake up) to the shutdown procedure. And then I'd have to go back into the Options menu (waiting again) in order to use OpenCPN with my mbtiles. While your solution would "work", there's gotta be a better way.

I'm hoping there's a switch in the .INI file (or something) that makes mbtiles default to OFF.

Personally, I think mbtiles should ALWAYS default to off. Loading up a bunch of KAPs doesn't make them active immediately - you have to turn them on manually with the piano keys. Why are mbtiles handled so differently? Loading up a bunch of mbtiles (or just starting OpenCPN) turns them ALL on, even when they're overlapping. This causes a fair amount of grunt in my i7 processor (not to mention being severely silly).

Please tell me I don't have to make this a feature request...
Old 26-07-2019, 00:33   #1520

Jon

I see what I said when I start O, every day..........
But...I do use chart-groups at all times.

Once groups are set up you also have access to the through the right-click menu.
Also as an alternative....are you aware of the numerical keys shortcut to chart-groups? "0" -> group All, "1"->your first chart-group etc, etc?
I think that you may have to split your MBTiles on several chart-groups, for best performance.
Give it a try!

I can't find any settings in opencpn.conf(ini) for MBTiles.

Thomas
Old 26-07-2019, 04:17   #1521

Boat: Valiant 42

Quote:
Thanks, Thomas. I think that's how OpenCPN is *supposed* to work, but it doesn't (at least, not on my system). Have you tried it yourself?

Hubert, that would add several clicks & a lot of time (since the Options menu now takes forever to wake up) to the shutdown procedure. And then I'd have to go back into the Options menu (waiting again) in order to use OpenCPN with my mbtiles. While your solution would "work", there's gotta be a better way.

I'm hoping there's a switch in the .INI file (or something) that makes mbtiles default to OFF.

Personally, I think mbtiles should ALWAYS default to off. Loading up a bunch of KAPs doesn't make them active immediately - you have to turn them on manually with the piano keys. Why are mbtiles handled so differently? Loading up a bunch of mbtiles (or just starting OpenCPN) turns them ALL on, even when they're overlapping. This causes a fair amount of grunt in my i7 processor (not to mention being severely silly).

Please tell me I don't have to make this a feature request...
Jon,

O saves it’s current state (chart group, position, etc.) into the configuration file when it shuts down. It reads that file when it starts and comes back up with same chart groups and position as when shut down. If your system does not do that something is wrong.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2019, 14:39   #1522

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
Jon, O saves it’s current state (chart group, position, etc.) into the configuration file when it shuts down. It reads that file when it starts and comes back up with same chart groups and position as when shut down. If your system does not do that something is wrong.
Thanks, TDan. This is the way I'd think OpenCPN should work, but it doesn't on my system (ergo my post). My mbtiles (all 5 of them) always wake up turned on.

What can I do to get OpenCPN to work the way it's supposed to?
Old 26-07-2019, 14:55   #1523

Red face Re: Help / FAQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
Jon, I see what I said when I start O, every day. But I do use chart-groups at all times.

Once groups are set up you also have access to the through the right-click menu. Also as an alternative, are you aware of the numerical keys shortcut to chart-groups? "0" -> group All, "1"->your first chart-group etc, etc? I think that you may have to split your MBTiles on several chart-groups, for best performance. Give it a try!

I can't find any settings in opencpn.conf(ini) for MBTiles.
Thanks for this, Thomas. I don't generally use chart groups & didn't know about the shortcuts. My KAPs & mbTiles are big enough that OpenCPN can take significant time parsing through them, so I don't generally load it up with more than 1) where I am, & 2) where I'm going next.

Does putting big charts into (not currently visible) groups save load-time? I'm finding that OpenCPN can take almost 30 seconds to wake up, even on my i7 4x w/16GB & SSD. O'course, I'm loading 4GB of KAPs, & at least 2GB of mbTiles for the New Georgia Group of the Solomon Islands. I don't really want it to have to load up more charts or take more time.
Old 27-07-2019, 10:27   #1524

Quote:
Thanks, TDan. This is the way I'd think OpenCPN should work, but it doesn't on my system (ergo my post). My mbtiles (all 5 of them) always wake up turned on.

What can I do to get OpenCPN to work the way it's supposed to?
Put your mbtiles in a group. Or if you like put each mbtile it it’s own folder and group. Then create an empty group. Select the empty group before shutting down O. Tell us what happens when you start O again.

If you have no group selected at all then O assumes you want to see all charts. Maybe that is where you go aground?
Old 27-07-2019, 11:42   #1525

Quote:
Thanks for this, Thomas. I don't generally use chart groups & didn't know about the shortcuts. My KAPs & mbTiles are big enough that OpenCPN can take significant time parsing through them, so I don't generally load it up with more than 1) where I am, & 2) where I'm going next.

Does putting big charts into (not currently visible) groups save load-time? I'm finding that OpenCPN can take almost 30 seconds to wake up, even on my i7 4x w/16GB & SSD. O'course, I'm loading 4GB of KAPs, & at least 2GB of mbTiles for the New Georgia Group of the Solomon Islands. I don't really want it to have to load up more charts or take more time.
An example......
I have a lot of charts.......Using "ALL" (chart group "0") looks like this for NW Europe
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190727_203150.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	321.4 KB
ID:	196703

If I try to zoom or pan it takes a long long time for O to even react.
Hitting "1" directly takes me to CM93, which is as zippy as ever.
Without chart-groups I would be forced to do a major cleanup.
Now I can continue to be lazy

Thomas
Old 27-07-2019, 16:11   #1526

Quote:
Put your mbtiles in a group. Or if you like put each mbtile it it’s own folder and group. Then create an empty group. Select the empty group before shutting down O. Tell us what happens when you start O again.

If you have no group selected at all then O assumes you want to see all charts. Maybe that is where you go aground?
TDan, it seems you're saying that OpenCPN does NOT always wake up in the state it's shut down in? That I HAVE to use groups to get OpenCPN to wake up with only CM93 showing?
Old 27-07-2019, 16:38   #1527

Quote:
TDan, it seems you're saying that OpenCPN does NOT always wake up in the state it's shut down in? That I HAVE to use groups to get OpenCPN to wake up with only CM93 showing?
I am not sure about what you mean by “state”. But if you don’t use groups then all charts are available all the time. So mbtiles and all other charts are loaded at startup regardless of “state”.
Old 27-07-2019, 22:44   #1528
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

Jon,

closing OpenCPN it will return on restart with the same viewport and the same chart group.
In case of no group applied on closure with "all active charts".

Btw.: did you try the Australian vector charts for the the Solomons and are you able to give feed back about the quality? AHS does edit and issue the charts for that region and the charts form part of the Australia oeSENC (called oeEVC in this case) set.

Hubert
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Captura de pantalla 2019-07-27 a las 8.39.15.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	417.2 KB
ID:	196730   Click image for larger version

Name:	Captura de pantalla 2019-07-27 a las 8.39.57.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	414.7 KB
ID:	196731  

bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2019, 19:02   #1529

Quote:
I am not sure about what you mean by “state”. But if you don’t use groups then all charts are available all the time. So mbtiles and all other charts are loaded at startup regardless of “state”.
By "state" I mean that it will wake up looking the same as when it was shut down. What I think you're saying is that this is only true if I use Chart Groups, & select a group withOUT mbTiles before I shut down.

Getting OpenCPN to remember various parts of its state (width of columns, sort order, size & position of dialogs, etc) is something I've been fighting for for some time. It's getting better, but only slowly...

But there's a larger issue here with mbTiles. They can put a considerable load on the graphics system, especially with several loaded. IMHO, if OpenCPN doesn't want to remember their individual on/off states, then they should default to OFF, & the user can then turn them on as needed. This jumping through a Chart Groups hoop is ... a slightly ridiculous hack, IMO.
Old 28-07-2019, 19:08   #1530

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcn View Post
Jon, closing OpenCPN it will return on restart with the same viewport and the same chart group. In case of no group applied on closure with "all active charts".

Btw.: did you try the Australian vector charts for the the Solomons and are you able to give feed back about the quality? AHS does edit and issue the charts for that region and the charts form part of the Australia oeSENC (called oeEVC in this case) set.

Hubert
Hubert, I didn't know these existed. I've been using (fairly ancient) CM93 vector charts (now supplemented with Navionics & CMap mbTiles). How can I get these? Can I download them? Is there a cost? Do they have them for PNG as well? Thanks!