Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-03-2018, 10:57   #2596
Moo

Re: Feature Requests

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
Please read my post again. The user protection against mistakes is not the same in the two cases.

So if you by mistake delete a track, you will get a pop-up where you have to confirm the deletion, if the feature is activated.

Thomas
I have that options ticked. Are you saying that the option only applies to routes and tracks and not to waypoints? Are you saying that you can't undo a track or route deletion?

Why have two logics? Seems confusing. Lets make it the same for route, tracks and waypoints please.

In my case the other day I was deleting the daily tracks created whilst one anchor: select so that track is highlighted > right click > delete > "are you sure" yes and doing that repeatedly. I accidentally selected the first or last track into or out of the anchorage and didn't realise until I went to select the next track. CTRL-Z would have saved the day.

It works on other plotting software that I use so I was confused as to whether it had worked in the past on OCPN.

Luckily I have all NMEA logged so I can recreate it.

Cheers
Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2018, 13:18   #2597

Boat: Beneteau First 47.7

Hello
I use OpenCPN with many connections to instruments, AIS transponder, NMEA wind, depth, speed etc, Navico radar, and now with a GPS compass.
I use dashboard on OpenCPN screen instead of instrument displays at navigation place, clean and nice.
The next thing I plan to do is a 27" touchscreen flat on my navigation table. It will look as a paper chart integrated in the table. Then it would be nice to have head up on OpenCPN so the map looks like outside.
But when the boat don’t do any speed will the map rotate crazy since head up use COG from GPS.
So my feature request:
Is it possible to use HDT or HDM for head up display if it exist in system, and COG if there is nothing better in the network.

Magnus
kirribilli47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2018, 13:32   #2598
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

This one?

https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...ay_orientation
bcn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2018, 14:01   #2599

Boat: Gib'Sea 402

It says very clearly in the wiki page you've linked that a head-up mode is not available. Certainly it would be a useful feature to have.
hoolie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2018, 00:12   #2600

Boat: Najad 34

hoolie..
I'm just curious: When would a compass course be preferred instead of COG? Would you like to have your desktop "picture" to rotate while on anchor?
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2018, 00:50   #2601

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakan View Post
hoolie..
I'm just curious: When would a compass course be preferred instead of COG? . . .
Tidal waters with changing currents, where you set CTS and ignore COG.

And in general, if you want the display to move as the scene moves in relation to your boat, you certainly want HDG for a heads up display rather than COG. It's COG which I think is likely not relevant to this.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2018, 01:34   #2602

Boat: Beneteau First 47.7

I would prefer HDT/HDM always as head up display, then you have the COG in hopefully a small angle so you can see tidal or other current that change your course.
I think head up should be exactly the same when you looking around as on the map, and then it is HDM or HDT, but with the COG arrow also on screen, you may go in reverse.

If you use head up display in harbour using rudder and propeller walk to turn you will get seasick watching the rotating screen going forward and reverse
kirribilli47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2018, 06:22   #2603
Marine Service Provider

All...

An option for HDT/HDM orientation is a good idea. Lets get it into the Feature Request tracker.

OCPN does not have this now because the HDT hardware has traditionally been uncommon and and expensive for smaller cruising boats. But these days, simple solutions can provide relatively accurate HDT at a reasonable cost.

Related Feature: High speed screen updates in HDT-up mode. Allows nicer screen presentation when changing course at low speed.

Dave
bdbcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2018, 20:45   #2604

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
All...

An option for HDT/HDM orientation is a good idea. Lets get it into the Feature Request tracker.

OCPN does not have this now because the HDT hardware has traditionally been uncommon and and expensive for smaller cruising boats. But these days, simple solutions can provide relatively accurate HDT at a reasonable cost.

Related Feature: High speed screen updates in HDT-up mode. Allows nicer screen presentation when changing course at low speed.

Dave
github.com/seandepagnier/rotationctrl_pi

The rotation control plugin already supports all of the above and much more. You can set how often it updates the rotation, how it filters it, and the maximum speed to rotate the chart as well.

I have smooth rotations for accurate heading up using $4 mpu9255 compass sensor.

Now I need to verify that "wind up" is working correctly. It is using true wind over ground, would apparent wind be useful? What about true wind over water? I need a water speed sensor preferably one that can measure sideways slip.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2018, 03:21   #2605

Manual Off-center point with Look Ahead Mode enabled

Hi Dave,

The Look Ahead Mode may be more usable if a user will allow to set a off-center point point manually. The current off-center point is set, based on ship's heading, by the program if Look Ahead Mode is enabled and Auto Follow selected. A user will be able to see more sea area ahead of its course. However, the area ahead of the ship became less and less, relatively to speed and time, when the ship's speed was higher and higher. The advantage of the looking ahead mode was disappearing with speed.

Perhaps, we may have an option to set the off-center point just like those of ship's radar.

Best wishes and all the best

Bruce
brucechun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2018, 08:20   #2606

Boat: Valiant 42

Bruce,

I like this idea. It should not be too hard to implement by itself. But there is another request to make the chart follow the boat “smoothly”. Your idea would work better I think if the smooth movement was working. Perhaps the two ideas should be implemented at the same time.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2018, 13:14   #2607
Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucechun View Post
Manual Off-center point with Look Ahead Mode enabled

Hi Dave,

The Look Ahead Mode may be more usable if a user will allow to set a off-center point point manually. The current off-center point is set, based on ship's heading, by the program if Look Ahead Mode is enabled and Auto Follow selected. A user will be able to see more sea area ahead of its course. However, the area ahead of the ship became less and less, relatively to speed and time, when the ship's speed was higher and higher. The advantage of the looking ahead mode was disappearing with speed.

Perhaps, we may have an option to set the off-center point just like those of ship's radar.

Best wishes and all the best

Bruce
The best implementation variable look ahead that I have seen is in TimeZero. Basically you drag the chart to position your vessel somewhere and the software then maintains that screen position as the centre of your universe
Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2018, 15:02   #2608

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoolie View Post
It says very clearly in the wiki page you've linked that a head-up mode is not available. Certainly it would be a useful feature to have.
This page has been changed to direct to RotationCtrl for heads up
https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...ay_orientation
rgleason is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2018, 14:23   #2609

Hi
I want some feature that I think it is easy to apply..
I use the program to see the traffic in my area. so it will be easiest for me to have above features:
1. When I make right click at a target now have option to “Copy Target MMSI” . I would like to have an option “Copy Target IMO” , “Copy Target NAME”, “Copy Target Call”.
2. At panel “Ais target list” to add a column with IMO to display IMO number and add as “Copy MMSI” , “Copy IMO” , “Copy Name” , “Copy Call”
3. At panel Ships/ MMSI properties one option that I can add MMSI or IMO and if this MMSI or IMO is in my map to have an alarm or a notification or the best of all an option to send me email!!
thanks
afric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2018, 00:57   #2610

Boat: Najad 34

afrik..
OpenCPN is primary meant for ship navigation support. And it is one of the best for cruisers.

What you're looking foe seems more for a statistical or some bookkeeping reason. In my mind would the data you want to see just occupy restricted menu space without bringing additional navigation support.
Something based on Marinetraffic would possible be a more suitable data source for you?
But the program OpenCPN itself or the many available plugins are open source so you or anyone can change it to fit you needs and you can use it the way you like. If you're not a programmer yourself it may be someone else have the same interest as you and can make a plugin for that.
Good luck.
Håkan
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote