Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 30-09-2011, 16:04   #991

Re: Feature Requests

I did register and got a confrmation code but t is not working, what I did not do?
P_Dub
P_Dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 03:01   #992

Hi All, wonderful program, works a dream. I would like to restate an earlier function request that I never saw addressed (in the positive or negative). Is it possible to get the program (or a plug-in for those that do not want the functionality) to produce lay lines from the "my position" ship and from the "go to waypoint" from the sensed wind data and a custom parameter (for your vessel) menu (like leeway, known sailing angle to AWA for your boat)? Comments please
glywn380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2011, 07:07   #993

Boat: Bollard 116 47ft

Hi

I guess the waiting list is pretty long, but after a while using CPN alongside my other nav tools I've come up with the following wish list.

Tracks:
  • Add ability to add track point when course changes by xº. The best option for recording your track accurately as you work through a reef or difficult entrance. Obviously you can set the time interval to something really short, but then you end up with loads of unnecessary data.

Grib handling:

• Add a step forward/back through forecasts rather than having to select forecasts individually.
  • Keep wave height colouration as you zoom in.
  • Include precipitation - gives you an idea of squall coverage.
General:

• Add great circle route capability -A must for long distance passages of course. I know there's an external utility, but.........

• Put "measure" tool on task bar. Just a personal thing.
Overall though it's a pretty good piece of work and the price is excellent!

BarryB

Samarang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2011, 15:59   #994

Boat: 29'

Samarang...have you tried the Route Pencil as a measure tool?I use it all the time...A to B then just tap escape key.. or leave the line there for reference...
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2011, 03:54   #995

Absolutely. I just feel it would be better on the task bar rather than under the right click context menu. It's only a detail and as I said just a personal thing.

BB
Old 01-12-2011, 04:35   #996

please add depth sounder support
white74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 04:38   #997

Boat: Phantom 19

white74...
Maybe I don't understand what you mean, but for me The Dashboard PlugIn | Official OpenCPN Homepage shows the depth just fine.

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 07:22   #998

Adjustng the size of chart names. How to do it, other than the Windows graphic card.
Regards
P_Dub
P_Dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 19:18   #999

sorry didn't see that option
was hoping for split screen graph for sounder nmea readings
didn't see the option to support nmea depth sentences
didn't see where to enable port for sounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
white74...
Maybe I don't understand what you mean, but for me The Dashboard PlugIn | Official OpenCPN Homepage shows the depth just fine.

Pavel
white74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 13:30   #1000

Request OpenCpn accepts data from nmea ttm sentence (Radar Tracked Target) and displays targets on charts. This to be in addition to AIS targets.
derekwoodley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2011, 11:35   #1001

Boat: RH52

Hello Dave,
I recently switched to OpenCpn. Thanks for the program.
It would be great to be able to draw on the chart, lines or circles and to write text notes. Example, in my former nav program, when I anchor, I put a circle of size the chain plus the lengh of the boat and move it to where the anchor was dropped. In a big wind I can see if there is any dragging right away. Also I draw lines to correct errors in the chart - example, many islands are in the wrong place on the chart so I re-draw them and write notes to that effect..
In summary, to draw lines, circles and write text on the charts would be great!
felipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2011, 12:29   #1002

Location: Currently cruising the Philippines, just got back from PNG & Solomons
Boat: Wauquiez 45' (now 48') catamaran
Send a message via Skype™ to Jon Hacking

Hi Felipe - I would also like the ability to annotate my charts a bit better, drawing in new breakwaters, uncharted bommies & such. But there's already a way to do text annotations: Create a waypoint, edit it to add the text you want, & pick a non-displaying icon like Red-/Blue-/Green-Track (OCPNv2.7 is supposed to allow waypoints with an icon of [none] to display as well, but v2.5 doesn't).

I like my annotations to show up easily so I change the text to bold red: Open the Toolbox, go to the Language/Fonts tag, Select Marks from the Text Elements drop down, & Choose a Bold Font in Red. I find a 6 point works well, but experiment to find what works for you.

Which brings up another request - could the Marks also be able to display in different colors please? Thanks!
Old 20-12-2011, 06:35   #1003

Boat: 29'

Felipe,there's an anchor watch similar to your description in the manual and also here,online:
Anchor Watch | Official OpenCPN Homepage
a workaround for a drawing tool is to use the route pencil and draw features with it...circles and such will not be round but it serves in a pinch.
yet another workaround is to make a screengrab and edit it in a graphics editor.Save it as xpm format and use it as an icon for a mark!The edited screengrab can even be converted to a small quiltable chart using imgkap.
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2011, 13:14   #1004

Boat: (Ex) Alu. 60' yacht-"Eight Bells"
Send a message via Skype™ to sinbad7

It would be very convenient to have a saveable directory/sub-directory in the 'Layers' area of the Route Manager in order to be able to set up a 'classified' directory of information of interest to the cruising mariner,making use of the 'Additional information' feature of OCPN,now easily edited using the new MarinePoi program.

Tore
Old 22-12-2011, 05:42   #1005

Android?????