Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Challenges
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 27-08-2016, 17:36   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to Gadagirl
Professional therapy, motivational coach, or CF?

So while clearing the belongings from my house I have come across a box of books that came from my late father's collection. Among them, "Cruising in Saraffyn". Of course, finding myself inexplicably more attracted to distractions, rather than to getting on with the chores of liberating my life of useless material junk, I sit down to read.
I've only just read the introduction. Very, very, motivational! I recognize the often quoted passages, especially the "go small, go now." I don't disagree!
However, I notice the advice was given 50+ years ago! They met in 1964 while the boat was being built. So much has changed in world since then! So much has changed in what is economically feasible since then.
Or am I wrong? Please tell me I'm wrong! I'm currently waiting 5 more years because I'd like to continue to contribute to my retirement fund. Should I seek cognitive therapy to stop the negative loop of thoughts? Those thoughts include......
Will I be employable at 55+ to earn enough to not only top up the kitty but also afford the ultimate move back to land? Lynn even concedes that 70+ cruising is rare because of physical constraints and ailments. Could I even earn enough part time in today's economy to survive? Boat maintenance, insurance, food and excursions? To have an enjoyable lifestyle? Minimal, but enjoyable just the same. It doesn't take too much to make me happy but I don't envision beans and rice every night or forgoing a land excursion, due to poverty, enough leverage against being able to label myself a "cruiser". Would I eventually become a ward of the state?
Healthcare was way more affordable 50 years ago. If I'll need to work part of the year this means commuting to US waters (to be legally employed) or staying in US waters. Yeah, yeah, yeah. Health care is so much cheaper elsewhere, I know. But if I'll have to work, even part time, I'll be tethered to the US. And ultimately tethered to the outrageous health care system.
It seems to me that some forum members that work part time, or not at all started with great savings, planning, and are more advanced financially than I am at this point. I'm not knocking that at all! I am envious, but otherwise salute you! My question goes out to those of you that have cut ties that weren't quite so financially well off and were in your 50's trying to supplement your cruising?
So, if you've skipped over all of my droning on and on, of "my excuses" as Lynn labels them, then offer up some good solid arguments as to how I might plan an earlier departure. A visit to a financial planner is in store for me this year but putting that aside, I'm asking for more than just the cheerleaders and anecdotal quotes. Anecdotes don't take into account of possibly cosigning yourself to a life of poverty during your senior years. I'm asking for reality, a slap in the face. Either I've always been delusional and should modify my plans, or I'm making subconscious excuses that need some reckoning, or I need to compromise between the two.
I'd like to leave now. If you /we can collectively and creatively find/convince me, you/we could collectively convince others, in the spirit of Lynn and Larry's advice I ask you to bring it on! This is a mental thought challenge to you all!
Damn! Many of you make it seem so easy!
Gadagirl is offline   Reply With Quote