Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Challenges
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2024, 08:40   #46

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft
Re: Here We Go! Cutting Boatyards Out While Doing Bottom/Topsides Work

This is how it has been done locally for 100 yrs.
The cribs are built of wood with 2 ropes.
While tide is up,the crib(s) is floated alongside the boat & tied loosely with one rope.
The other rope is taken up to bow,dropped in water & keelhauled back opposite the first rope.
This second rope is used to pull the floating crib down under hull.
On a cat,you would need several cribs,since you are supporting most of the weight of one hull.
Note in the multi boat pic,the cribs are built of marine aluminum.Same principal,more money,last many years in highwater harbours

Canadians can ground out to scrape & paint-not sure about USA.
Cheers/Len Click image for larger version

Name:	Crib1.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	149.4 KB
ID:	286147

Click image for larger version

Name:	Crib 2.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	286148

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...-267730-2.html
Old 09-02-2024, 08:43   #47

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

If the boat can be supported in a way that a tarp can be laid below it (and the tarp collected before the tide comes in) that should take care of the cleanliness issue. But it will limit the options for supporting the boat and also require a fairly large tide to have enough "dry" time.
Old 09-02-2024, 08:47   #48
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
I’m sure you’ll be very happy if you ruin my plans and make me feel bad.
If I (and everybody else) has to jump through the environmental hoops, so do you.

I have reached out to the Maine Department of Environmental Protection. Stand by...
Old 09-02-2024, 08:55   #49
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:

show me a single law that applies. You have no idea what you’re talking about.

I know you guys are really struggling here to understand what’s going on so let me try to explain it again. This is ablative bottom paint. There is not a bottom sanding project so it’s legal.

This is definitely appropriate and people all over the world do this all the time including here. Show me the law. Come on. Show it to me.

now I remember why I stopped using the forum. Some people on here Just can’t stop attacking other people as they go about living their lives.

it would be nice if I could just open the thread and select who is invited to the thread. I need private threads because these dopes wade in here every damn time running a good thread

https://www3.epa.gov/npdes/pubs/vgp_hull_husbandry.pdf

Massachusetts forbids in water, and by extension, over water fouling removal (I can't remember where you are). Every east coast state has rules governing the maintenance of hulls, both in the water and near the water. Marinas have to collect the wastewater from cleaning hulls and cannot discharge it without effective treatment.

Denial is embarrassing, and there is nothing wrong with people telling you when you are doing, and supporting in a public forum, something that is illegal. Breaking the law is bad citizenship.

You are not "getting on with your life." You are polluting OUR public waters, which are not yours alone. If you don't like the rules, you can't have a boat here. It's like following the rules when you drive.

We should close threads promoting illegal practices.
Old 09-02-2024, 08:57   #50
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
Denial is embarrassing, and there is nothing wrong with people telling you when you are doing, and supporting in a public forum, something that is illegal. Breaking the law is bad citizenship.

You are not "getting on with your life." You are polluting OUR public waters, which are not yours alone. If you don't like the rules, you can't have a boat here. It's like following the rules when you drive.

Quote:
I disagree. People like the OP wouldn't learn that what they are doing (or intend to do) is illegal.
Old 09-02-2024, 09:02   #51
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
exactly. But the same characters on this forum again and again are on the attack. Can they not get a life?

starting to rethink why I even came here again. They just let these people go on and on and attacking others. And it never ends.

it doesn’t matter what you’re talking about. One of these few instigators will come out and give you a hard time, ruining a good thread. they really ought to clean this place up.

I am on a skiing and snowboarding social media that is fantastic. They don’t allow this type of behavior.

instead of: “ you should check into the local law because it might not be legal to do that“

you get: “ I would call the Coast Guard and the police on you”. “ you are immoral and wrong“ “ you are on a marina blacklist.” “ too many red flags to count”

this is not how it should go on a social media site.These types of attacks should not even be allowed. The entire vibe here is wrong.

these are hateful people and they don’t belong here

people acting like that need mental health care. You really do.

way to take a good thread about drying out or beaching a catamaran to work on it, which is very common practice all around the world, and ruin it. these people Should be dealt with and gotten rid of if you want a good environment here on this forum. this type of behavior should not be tolerated.

you shouldn’t get attacked for creating a good thread to begin with. I can’t help but to think of everything that Jedi went through and some of his threads as another example. He was posting nothing but something you could probably publish and put in the library and he still got attacked. relentlessly. electrical system/battery stuff. It was incredibly frustrating to watch that

$100 says no law is found that covers the application of ablative paint when dried out either after all of this unnecessary drama
Just block him.

Old 09-02-2024, 09:05   #52

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post

I disagree. People like the OP wouldn't learn that what they are doing (or intend to do) is illegal.
Waiting on this law….
Old 09-02-2024, 09:06   #53
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
$100 says no law is found that covers the application of ablative paint when dried out either after all of this unnecessary drama
That's a sucker's bet. Any law restricting the kind or work you plan to do on a public beach/waterway will not specify the type of anti fouling paint being applied.
Old 09-02-2024, 09:07   #54

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

Massachusetts forbids in water, and by extension, over water fouling removal (I can't remember where you are). Every east coast state has rules governing the maintenance of hulls, both in the water and near the water. Marinas have to collect the wastewater from cleaning hulls and cannot discharge it without effective treatment.

You’re wrong, he isn’t removing antifouling. Go and delete your false accusations.

Old 09-02-2024, 09:07   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Just block him.
yes, you aren’t wrong. But also they should clean the place up. the culture of hate and attacks here is wrong.

I’m going to wait on the block to see if the law comes up (still waiting), but i’ll follow your advice and start blocking all these people after that.

I still think the culture needs to change here. It’s wrong that that’s allowed
Old 09-02-2024, 09:09   #56
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Waiting on this law….
I've spoken the Maine DEP and will be directed to the person who can answer my question with authority. As soon as I talk to him/her, I'll be getting back to you on this.
Old 09-02-2024, 09:09   #57

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
yes, you aren’t wrong. But also they should clean the place up. the culture of hate and attacks here is wrong.

I’m going to wait on the block to see if the law comes up (still waiting), but i’ll follow your advice and start blocking all these people after that.

I still think the culture needs to change here. It’s wrong that that’s allowed
As he is into reporting people, I decided to report him for breaking forum rules.

Old 09-02-2024, 09:09   #58

Quote:

you just just proved yourself wrong. Why did you do that?

see? There is no law against applying paint near the water.

you have no idea what you’re talking about. Don’t you write for some publication? You should know better than this.

I realize you’re not an attorney, but you should really research what you are talking about before you start talking about it.

absolutely a false accusation.

there is no law that says you can’t put paint on your boat when it’s near the water.
Old 09-02-2024, 09:10   #59
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
As he is into reporting people, I decided to report him for breaking forum rules.
What forum rule was broken?
Old 09-02-2024, 09:11   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
I've spoken the Maine DEP and will be directed to the person who can answer my question with authority. As soon as I talk to him/her, I'll be getting back to you on this.
so you were unable to find a law.

we won’t be trusting your hearsay. You have to point us to the law on the books in maine that says you can’t paint your boat when dried out
Closed Thread

Tags
boat, boatyards, work