Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2024, 00:35   #31

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Re: Here We Go! Cutting Boatyards Out While Doing Bottom/Topsides Work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorichiban View Post
Hello all,
An interesting topic.
In the past I have successfully careened more than once.
To access the topsides and boot stripe, mainly for touch up work though sometimes considerably more filling, sanding and painting was needed.
I had the waterline on the bottom paint serval inches below the the boot stripe, it would be fouled after wintering at dock and required repainting with bottom paint during spring commissioning.
This I did at the dock typically.
Using a pair of halyards and winches that had swiveling blocks at the mast head to preserve the halyards. The halyards had attached tails used to securely belay them as far from the boat as feasible. In my recollection possibly I would have 20 degrees of heal.

Have you seen pictures of water bags being used to induce heeling to reduce the air draft to allow navigation below bridges that otherwise would be impassable?

In the case of a catamaran could a similar setup be incorporated to fly one hull at a time for maintenance purposes ?
Presumably then one could remain at anchor!
Best of luck to all !

Here’s why that’s not done:

Old 09-02-2024, 00:37   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by deblen View Post
What about grounding one hull at a time-on "supports"
Let the other hull drop with the tide.
You probably have time for cleaning & painting one hull per tide anyway.
How much tidal range do you have? / L
that’s exactly the idea of the inflatable bags below the boat. Or fenders.

those are the supports.

hang them below the boat, horizontally, wait for the boat to touch bottom, then inflate to get extra time out of the water as the water is draining away. plus ability to reach the very bottom

tidal range is around 8-9ft
Old 09-02-2024, 00:43   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
How about a Fortress anchor set to one side and lift a hull with a halyard to the anchor?
I do like the brainstorming, but this one sounds really really dangerous.

The potential for damage to the boat is huge.

first you are stressing the laminate and the whole boat to its maximum every time you do this.

Second, I need a rope that’s going to take about a 14,000 pound load. That’s the kind of situation where if it gives it kills people by cutting them in half

third, the fortress probably wouldn’t even hold.

then there is the matter of trying to keep the boat in one place when you are pulling on it with the fortress. It would probably just drag along the bottom and stay upright. 25ft beam is no joke

And finally, the brand new, expensive dyneema halyard would be torn apart at the sheave box. Coming out of the thing completely crooked to the side instead of over the sheaves

oh yeah. no winches too
Old 09-02-2024, 00:46   #34
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

"MatJack" air lift bags ➥ MATJACK

Old 09-02-2024, 00:51   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
"MatJack" air lift bags ➥ MATJACK
these look good!

thank you for the link to some more sturdy and reliable bags. I was only finding the cheap knock offs.

looking through the site now
Old 09-02-2024, 02:21   #36
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I think I would go with 5 lifting bags, strap 4 to the boat while afloat and slightly inflate before touching bottom. Then inflate the side you want to work to desired height. Use number 5 to work on the place blocked by the other bags.
Works with 3 as well, but with 5 the boat won't even touch the bottom.
Old 09-02-2024, 08:03   #37
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

The real question here is; why were you refused a berth at the first marina, after ostensibly having had an arrangement with them? And all the others? We're they warned off by the first marina? So many red flags here it's hard to know where to start.

If I saw you careening or floating a hull (or whatever this cockamamie plan ends up being) to paint your bottom while the boat is in the water, I'd happily rat you out to the local sherrifs and Coast Guard.
Old 09-02-2024, 08:18   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
The real question here is; why were you refused a berth at the first marina, after ostensibly having had an arrangement with them? And all the others? We're they warned off by the first marina? So many red flags here it's hard to know where to start.

If I saw you careening or floating a hull (or whatever this cockamamie plan ends up being) to paint your bottom while the boat is in the water, I'd happily rat you out to the local sherrifs and Coast Guard.
that’s quite an imagination you have. have you ever considered writing fiction instead of scrubbing the bottom of boats? you might make a lot more money. you can self publish stories you make up on Amazon.

and bring it on there are no laws being broken. Show me one. Show me the law saying you can’t apply bottom paint to a boat dried out. $100 says you can’t, especially since it’s done all over the world. you are just threatened by independence.

you’re a very angry, negative and confrontational person. there was no need to start in with me already. i just got back here

here you go: peace to you

https://www.betterhelp.com/
Old 09-02-2024, 08:25   #39
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:

This. What you are suggesting is immoral, wrong, and illegal on the east cost of the US. You can't work on bottom paint on the water or in the tidal zone, and I'm sure you are not planning on containing the waste, if that is even possible.

I feel you pain. But this thread is inappropriate.
Old 09-02-2024, 08:27   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
This. What you are suggesting is immoral, wrong, and illegal on the east cost of the US. You can't work on bottom paint on the water or in the tidal zone, and I'm sure you are not planning on containing the waste, if that is even possible.

I feel you pain. But this thread is inappropriate.

show me a single law that applies. You have no idea what you’re talking about.

I know you guys are really struggling here to understand what’s going on so let me try to explain it again. This is ablative bottom paint. There is not a bottom sanding project so it’s legal.

This is definitely appropriate and people all over the world do this all the time including here. Show me the law. Come on. Show it to me.

now I remember why I stopped using the forum. Some people on here Just can’t stop attacking other people as they go about living their lives.

it would be nice if I could just open the thread and select who is invited to the thread. I need private threads because these dopes wade in here every damn time running a good thread
Old 09-02-2024, 08:29   #41
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
...people all over the world do this all the time including here.
Bwahahahaha! In what state are you planning to do this? I'll happily show you the law forbidding it.
Old 09-02-2024, 08:34   #42
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Guys, this is a very interesting topics (beaching cats to work on the boat, NOT hate and disrespect)...Why can't we simply stay on topic? I'm pretty sure Chuto is not totally irresponsible and will not try to kill every living thing around his boat...

The question how to beach a cat might also be interesting to change through hulls or do fibreglass work near the waterline...It doesn't always have to be antifouling, it could also be to touch up a coating like coppercoat...
Old 09-02-2024, 08:37   #43
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnab View Post
I'm pretty sure Chuto is not totally irresponsible and will not try to kill every living thing around his boat...
Don't be obtuse. Of course he's not going to intentionally try to kill anything. That's not the point. The point is that he would be breaking the law. Law that applies to everybody, including him.
Old 09-02-2024, 08:37   #44

Quote:
Bwahahahaha! In what state are you planning to do this? I'll happily show you the law forbidding it.
Bring it on. Show me one. Maine.

I’m sure you’ll be very happy if you ruin my plans and make me feel bad. Right? Check out the link I gave you. You need it.
Old 09-02-2024, 08:39   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnab View Post
Guys, this is a very interesting topics (beaching cats to work on the boat, NOT hate and disrespect)...Why can't we simply stay on topic? I'm pretty sure Chuto is not totally irresponsible and will not try to kill every living thing around his boat...

The question how to beach a cat might also be interesting to change through hulls or do fibreglass work near the waterline...It doesn't always have to be antifouling, it could also be to touch up a coating like coppercoat...
exactly. But the same characters on this forum again and again are on the attack. Can they not get a life?

starting to rethink why I even came here again. They just let these people go on and on and attacking others. And it never ends.

it doesn’t matter what you’re talking about. One of these few instigators will come out and give you a hard time, ruining a good thread. they really ought to clean this place up.

I am on a skiing and snowboarding social media that is fantastic. They don’t allow this type of behavior.

instead of: “ you should check into the local law because it might not be legal to do that“

you get: “ I would call the Coast Guard and the police on you”. “ you are immoral and wrong“ “ you are on a marina blacklist.” “ too many red flags to count”

this is not how it should go on a social media site.These types of attacks should not even be allowed. The entire vibe here is wrong.

these are hateful people and they don’t belong here

people acting like that need mental health care. You really do.

way to take a good thread about drying out or beaching a catamaran to work on it, which is very common practice all around the world, and ruin it. these people Should be dealt with and gotten rid of if you want a good environment here on this forum. this type of behavior should not be tolerated.

you shouldn’t get attacked for creating a good thread to begin with. I can’t help but to think of everything that Jedi went through and some of his threads as another example. He was posting nothing but something you could probably publish and put in the library and he still got attacked. relentlessly. electrical system/battery stuff. It was incredibly frustrating to watch that

$100 says no law is found that covers the application of ablative paint when dried out either after all of this unnecessary drama
Closed Thread

Tags
boat, boatyards, work