Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-05-2022, 09:03   #46

Boat: Landfall 39 - Ron Amy
Re: Did I make a $1,400 mistake?

OP.

I’m sorry to question you when you continually say you are ‘sure’, but - mistakes happen.

Comfirm whether your iPad actually does have GPS or not.

- Check the visible features S/V Jedi mentioned.

And/or find the model number (Go to Settings > General > About. To the right of Model, you'll see the part number. To see the model number, tap the part number.)

Look up the model number, or post it here to for us to look up and confirm.

- If it does have a GPS, make sure it’s turned on (Settings- Privacy- Location services on)

- If it does not have a GPS you’ll need to buy an external GPS receiver as mentioned.

- Again, you do not need cellular to use Navionics once installed. You do need a internet connection to download the app and chart though. This can be accomplished with wifi or by using ‘personal hotspot’ from another device.

Clear?

If there’s some other problem, hopefully we can narrow down the issue.
Oeanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2022, 09:08   #47

Did I make a $1,400 mistake?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatheelrod22 View Post
Again, and I suppose the thread might be getting so long it’s getting lost in the shuffle.

I have 13” iPad Pro.

IT DEFINITELY has GPS

IT DEFINITELY doesn’t have CELLULAR. I’m told if it did when I go to settings in this descending order it would show

Airplane mode

Wi fi

Bluetooth

Cellular. Which mine DOES NOT SHOW.

One of you kind folks suggested I try downloading charts to the tablet and see it it works if I do that.

One thing I haven’t mentioned but will now is that I have no problem pulling up Navionics on the IPAD, it just won’t show my position, even though again, I DEFINITELY HAVE GPS in this tablet, which is why I bought it in the first place.

Check the location settings for that app and make sure they are on at least when the app is running. I essentially did what you are trying to do for some trips and it worked well. Just download the needed charts before you go.

No need to buy a bad elf or cell plan or anything.

Also, just good to know. iPhones use true GPS when cellular data is not available. They started this back with the 7 (Don’t quote me on the version, I had a 7 so I know it can do this)

Image below shows my current example of google maps (after downloading the area image). My phone is in airplane mode with WiFi and cellular turned off. The blue dot showing my position will continue to track.

I have done this in remote locations where I know there is a s no cell tower trickery.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1653408488.793783.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	473.6 KB
ID:	258302  
JC Reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2022, 09:21   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
You should have checked that before posting. Yes, they support eSIM but they also have a slot for a physical NanoSIM.

https://www.apple.com/nl/ipad-air/specs/

Why always fight everything I write? First check it, then when I’m wrong put it in my face.

Firstly, I’m sorry that you think I fight everything you write. I wasn’t aware that I was doing so.
And yes, I was wrong about the ‘little drawer’, but I posted in good faith not as an attack.
Yellowtulip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2022, 09:34   #49

Location: Eastern Caribbean for the 2020 season then east coast or Panama
Boat: Lagoon 470 cat

didn't read all the replies but don't need cell nor wifi to use Navionics (except to load the program and charts). All you need to use it is GPS. Bit suprised that tech rep didn't say whether or not there was GPS as that is all you need when using. There is no internet nor cell service when offshore and Navioics will work fine PROVIDED there is a GPS source.
Moontide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2022, 09:49   #50

Boat: Nordship 808

If the unit has a real GPS chip, which I doubt in this case, it is an issue with the permission you have granted the app to track your location, or a general permission you might have set.

There are lots of free small apps you can download to display your current position, and most will probably also tell you, from where the app currently get it's signal. (Must be GPS in order to work with any useable precision in general)
You can try one of the many anchor alarm apps to see what kind of precision you get.

Apple and Google are restricting apps more and more in their ability to do continous tracking, so the permissions are very important.

On Android you also have to go into battery management of each app to allow them to do continous tracking, Apple might have something similar.
SaylorMade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2022, 09:54   #51
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowtulip View Post
Firstly, I’m sorry that you think I fight everything you write. I wasn’t aware that I was doing so.
And yes, I was wrong about the ‘little drawer’, but I posted in good faith not as an attack.
I’m sorry too, the “fight everything I write” comment was in general, not at all addressed at you. It just never ends, almost every post done on CF gets whacked (some for good reason) by what feels like everyone so I was a bit frustrated.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2022, 10:02   #52

Quote:
I’m sorry too, the “fight everything I write” comment was in general, not at all addressed at you. It just never ends, almost every post done on CF gets whacked (some for good reason) by what feels like everyone so I was a bit frustrated.

Yes, it’s frustrating when people post stuff without checking, isn’t it? But that’s the nature of Internet forums. They’re not definitive, they’re more like a pub discussion. Once again I apologise for my carelessness.
Yellowtulip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2022, 10:38   #53

Boat: CAL-2 30'

Quote:
You have the correct iPad, you just need to link it with your instruments.

If you have at least a GPS aboard then you need to send it’s data via wifi to iPads, iPhones, laptops etc. You may have something aboard that can already do this, like a Vesper AIS or some plotters, or you can buy a simple nmea to wifi gateway from a company like Yacht Devices.

The external Bluetooth GPS units are often used when the iPad is to work independently from on-board instruments (backup). The units from Dual, Garmin and BadElf all work and are better than iPad internal because you can position them for optimal antenna location, plus they don’t draw your iPad battery down like internal GPS does.

THIS!!

I have 2 WIFI only iPads in waterproof cases to back up my Garmin plotter. I trust the GPS's with GLONASS and WAAS in my InReach and Bad Elf Pro much more than the cheap chip in a cellular iPad. I normally connect to my InReach as it is always on when underway. The Bad Elf is awesome. I bought mine maybe 15 years ago and it still works great and has great battery life (16 hours using Bluetooth when new). I had it as a backup in case everything quit in my 737-800 somewhere over the Pacific. It will connect to 5 devices at once and gets at least 12 satellites in a drawer below deck.
davenrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2022, 10:56   #54

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatheelrod22 View Post
Again, and I suppose the thread might be getting so long it’s getting lost in the shuffle.
I have 13” iPad Pro.
IT DEFINITELY has GPS
IT DEFINITELY doesn’t have CELLULAR. I’m told if it did when I go to settings in this descending order it would show
Airplane mode
Wi fi
Bluetooth
Cellular. Which mine DOES NOT SHOW.

One of you kind folks suggested I try downloading charts to the tablet and see it it works if I do that.
One thing I haven’t mentioned but will now is that I have no problem pulling up Navionics on the IPAD, it just won’t show my position, even though again, I DEFINITELY HAVE GPS in this tablet, which is why I bought it in the first place.
Navionics will work with or without GPS (its just an app), BUT without GPS it won't show your position. But as you stated, you definitely have GPS but Navionics won't show your position...Which seems to indicate (assuming you have location services turned on) you do not have GPS!
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2022, 11:12   #55

Boat: Mirage 33

Can you not use your iPhone as a hotspot?
see https://www.imore.com/how-to-tether-...rsonal-hotspot
pmclachlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2022, 12:08   #56

Boat: 2000 Jeanneau, 45.2

I'll share my personal use case. I have a 18 month old Ipad, 8th generation (per the 'about' tab) without cellular. It does have a built in GPS sensor. I have Navionics loaded on it. I am able to have Navionics show my current location and the boat icon follows the boat's actual position when moving or following an actual route. This Ipad is a middle-of-the-road version, far from a top of the line model. Further I am able to connect it via wi-fi to my Vesper AIS and the AIS data overlays the Navionics chart. I feel your frustration, but you should not give up.

We had an iPhone which had a defective GPS sensor DOA on purchase and hence Navionics was not able to ascertain boat location. We went to three (3 !!!!!!) different Genuis Bars for trouble shooting and got the same response "requires cellular" to know position. On the fourth visit to yet again another Genius Bar (we were cruising so hence different apple store locations), we got a tech who told us that the phone did indeed have a GPS sensor (told us that the requirement for a cellular connection was once true but hadn't been required for several previous iPhone models), then reloaded the iOS and 'did' other software 'stuff' to no avail. She then ran some diagnostic software and did not detect the GPS hardware. Gave us a replacement phone (identical model and specs), transferred our data, and bingo all was well.

You did not make a mistake, something is amiss. I suggest you visit the Genius Bar ... IMHO your issue is iPad hardware and/or software ... not Navionics
Jeanneau 45.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2022, 13:05   #57

Boat: 40 ft Van Dine Custom Gaffed rigged Schooner

Wow what a life of its own this has taken. I’m the OP. I think including the OP I’m in this thread 3 times, maybe 4. I’ve never said I have cellular. I’ve said all along I don’t have that and that the cellular model is what I need. I’ve said I have GPS, I was told by Best Buy that’s what and all I needed. I’ve never “thought different” as you indicate and I’m certain you dont think any more highly of the “fine people” on this forum than I. I’ve been consistent on what I’ve stated. As you suggested I’m going to post the model number below. Well……There is no model number on the back…..so there’s that.as I’ve said, it’s an IPad Pro. For the version it’s iPad OS 15 pro. I can post serial number but nor sure it benefits and something tells me I shouldn’t.
Tatheelrod22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2022, 13:10   #58

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorman97 View Post
WIFI only versions of IPads do not have a GPS. Why? Because Apple is a lousy company that sells overly expensive sub grade hardware in my opinion.

But it's shiny and all the cool kids have them.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2022, 13:22   #59

Boat: Catalina 350

I have an Ipad without cellular intentionally. I also have a Bad Elf. They work together flawlessly. Other devices such as your Iphone, and Laptop can also connect to the Bad Elf. If you are offshore, or say outer Bahamas, Cell service is spotty and simply not available.

That being said, It is not just helpful but a necessity to have back up gps such as a gps puck on a laptop with CPN. There were 2 times in 3 months that we had to resort to alternate GPS navigation. While the operational features of the software work very very well, the Ipad device itself leaves some things to be desired. The screen visibility in strong light is not that of a Raymarine E80 or similar. The battery life is shorter than 8 hrs. So if you are not at anchor within that time you will be disappointed. Just when you need it most for anchoring or marina entrances. So if planning a long 50 mile crossing don't count on your Ipad.

What I did is use the ipad along with the Raymarine until I got out to open deep water. At that time I switched to my iphone which was also connected to the Bad Elf, along with the Raymarine. Courses where always plotted on 2 devices but not CPN. No reason there, CPN is outstanding but does not cover the Bahamas without extra cost. The iphone had much better battery life and took fewer am hrs to recharge than the ipad. We had BTC phone cards with data, and Alive just data. It is NOT sufficient coverage when navigating remote coral reefs. BAD ELF worked 100% of the time, recharges quickly drawing miniscule amps, and the battery lasts very very long. Just monitor the battery bars. If you are not going offshore or anchoring away from cell networks you do not need the Bad Elf. The Ipad also overheated when in the sun too long and just shuts down. I can't have that happen in dangerous waters. Ipad Shutdown Actually happened inside Indian Rock Pass north of West End Freeport. Very long and very narrow pass thru corral. We were within BTC Cell range and quickly reconfigured the software to take input from BTC data.. I say don't count on your Ipad if battery, or Light or Heat, or cold. Other than that the Ipad was wonderful and helpful to get Active captain reviews or postings, pics, web browsing.
Old 24-05-2022, 14:08   #60

Boat: Irwin 46 CC
Send a message via Skype™ to PuttingDoctor

Try syncing your phone to the ipad…. Not certain but you may be able to use the GPS on the phone when connected via wifi or Bluetooth.