Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-05-2022, 06:09   #16

Re: Did I make a $1,400 mistake?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmm View Post
This (while a decent explanation of cellular vs WiFi, though the ranges listed are wrong!) actually has nothing to do with the problem. The reason the OP needs the cellular version of the ipad is because the GPS antenna and chipset is only present in the Cellular version of the ipad. I've been using cellular enabled ipads for years for nagivation (as a secondary device) without a sim card in it. and with that the GPS functionality works fine
Seriously?

Bought a $50 android tablet 6-8yrs ago and it had a built in GPS even though it didn't have cellular.

$1400 for a tablet? That should be a top of the line with all the bells and whistles.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2022, 06:23   #17

Boat: Catalina 30

Get a hold of Best Buy Customer Support and explain to them that the clerk in the store gave you bad information and ask for a refund.

He told you it had GPS. It does not. If it does not have cellular , it does NOT have GPS.

Maybe I am wrong on this , but a quick check of the specs for your model (the model number is on the unit) can verify this.
sinnerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2022, 06:28   #18

Boat: 40 ft Van Dine Custom Gaffed rigged Schooner

Oceanda what you are trying to clear up USED TO BE ACCURATE but it isn’t now. I have one that HAS BUILT IN GPS BUT NOT CELLULAR. THIS I’m certain of.
Tatheelrod22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2022, 06:31   #19

Boat: Boatless for now, looking!

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
Seriously?

Bought a $50 android tablet 6-8yrs ago and it had a built in GPS even though it didn't have cellular.

$1400 for a tablet? That should be a top of the line with all the bells and whistles.
Yes, android tablets are far superior in that way, just not as secure as 'most' Apple systems. YMMV.
Old 24-05-2022, 06:32   #20
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

You have the correct iPad, you just need to link it with your instruments.

If you have at least a GPS aboard then you need to send it’s data via wifi to iPads, iPhones, laptops etc. You may have something aboard that can already do this, like a Vesper AIS or some plotters, or you can buy a simple nmea to wifi gateway from a company like Yacht Devices.

The external Bluetooth GPS units are often used when the iPad is to work independently from on-board instruments (backup). The units from Dual, Garmin and BadElf all work and are better than iPad internal because you can position them for optimal antenna location, plus they don’t draw your iPad battery down like internal GPS does.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2022, 06:34   #21

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatheelrod22 View Post
Oceanda what you are trying to clear up USED TO BE ACCURATE but it isn’t now. I have one that HAS BUILT IN GPS BUT NOT CELLULAR. THIS I’m certain of.
According to Apple their current models still follow the same pattern. To get GPS you must have the Cellular enabled model, regardless of Pro, air,ipad or mini
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2022, 06:38   #22

Did I make a $1,400 mistake?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmm View Post
According to Apple their current models still follow the same pattern. To get GPS you must have the Cellular enabled model, regardless of Pro, air,ipad or mini

Yes. From the Apple Store:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0317.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	276.5 KB
ID:	258294
Yellowtulip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2022, 06:39   #23

Quote:
Sorry but now I might be more confused. My understanding is older models including the one I have didn’t have GPS. Don’t know if other brands at the time did or not. You say ‘buy a $300 Android and I’ll be fine. It has GPS”. My new IPAD has GPS. GPS isn’t my problem I’m told. My problem is I don’t have “cellular”

Does the Android have cellular?

The only reason for the cellular is to download new data when away from WiFi. You get around this by predownloading all your charts.

You don’t need cellular but you will be limited to only the charts you have already loaded. I did this on my iPhone for some solo trips and it works. With an iPad you can likely download all known charts…

It’s also not that big of a limitation as current phone can act as a hotspot off cell signal. In the case of an unplanned stop, you’ll likely get cell service strong enough to get WiFi off your phone. And as to approach shore the cell signal will generally get stronger.

IMO, what you have is fine and getting setup on a cell plan for an iPad would be a bigger pain.
JC Reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2022, 06:42   #24

Boat: Landfall 39 - Ron Amy

Quote:

Hmm. Never heard of that before now. Which model?

So you do have GPS? Then you won’t need an external GPS receiver.

You do not need a cellular-enabled iPad to use Navionics. You just need an Internet connection (wifi or hotspot) long enough to download the app and chart.
Oeanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2022, 06:42   #25

Boat: Lagoon 400

I do not and cannot know what services your unit has.
This you need to find out, either by model code or in a service point.
To use Navionics, you MUST have GPS.
To use Navionics you need either WiFi OR cellular, to enable downloads of charts.
If Apple decided on your particular unit to not install GPS because it hadno cellular, it was marketing decision. They could easily put a GPS antenna inside without cellular, so check the actual unit you have for what is inside.
By the way, a unit that do have both cellular and GPS is more accurate as to your position than a unit with GPS only, as the cellular antennas add position data on top if the data from the GPS, but to sail you do need this extra accuracy.
Old 24-05-2022, 06:45   #26

Bad elf works well with iPad. Also, whomever said about cellular data, was correct. The cellular data feature includes a gps capability, that’s how the marketeers can find you. Also, I always put my IPad on Airplane mode, that way I’m not paying for unneeded messages )expensive) in a foreign country. Only problem with an iPad is you need to keep it plugged into a reliable DC port of T least 3 amps outport.
I’m a delivery captain and I’ve been using iPad successfully for 14 years now; just do the regular map updates offered by Navionics. I also like Navionics because it has lots of data about marinas, comments from other users (active Captain) and it’s really easy (unlike most plotters) to use…
Stmurray62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2022, 06:45   #27

Did I make a $1,400 mistake?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC Reefer View Post
The only reason for the cellular is to download new data when away from WiFi. You get around this by predownloading all your charts.

You don’t need cellular but you will be limited to only the charts you have already loaded. I did this on my iPhone for some solo trips and it works. With an iPad you can likely download all known charts…

It’s also not that big of a limitation as current phone can act as a hotspot off cell signal. In the case of an unplanned stop, you’ll likely get cell service strong enough to get WiFi off your phone. And as to approach shore the cell signal will generally get stronger.

IMO, what you have is fine and getting setup on a cell plan for an iPad would be a bigger pain.

Actually, setting up cellular reception with a built-in eSIM is very easy and cheap. You can do it all, very quickly from within the iPad’s settings. ( At least in the UK).
Yellowtulip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2022, 06:47   #28

You can also test everything before hand by downloading a chart with a current location and then turning off the WiFi.

This would simulate GPS interacting with your charts, all while being off any external signal like WiFi or cellular. You’ll sleep better if you have the proof of concept.
JC Reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2022, 06:48   #29

Boat: Maine Cat 38

I have been using a Bad Elf for 6 or 7 years with various phones and iPads. It is very easy to connect via Bluetooth and has been very reliable. The battery life is also very good, I might have to charge it once in 24 of continuous use. I use it as a backup and while traveling. I’m sure that there are many other great options out there these days, but if I need to replace it I will be comparing other devices to the Bad Elf.
jpburlette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2022, 06:54   #30
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

IPads with GPS are easy to recognize because their back has a plastic piece at the top, while the non-GPS is all aluminum.

2nd telltale is the little drawer for a SIM card. When that isn’t there, then there is no GPS inside. (You don’t need a SIM card).

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote