Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-05-2022, 06:58   #31

Re: Did I make a $1,400 mistake?

No you didn’t. You actually saved money by not buying a cell version. Go buy one of these
Dual Electronics XGPS160... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E65TNYE...p_mob_ap_share
They work great. I used one for a couple years until I got AIS and now keep it as a back up and my son uses it with his IPAD while flying.
MikeHoncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2022, 07:05   #32

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHoncho View Post
No you didn’t. You actually saved money by not buying a cell version. Go buy one of these
Dual Electronics XGPS160... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E65TNYE...p_mob_ap_share
They work great. I used one for a couple years until I got AIS and now keep it as a back up and my son uses it with his IPAD while flying.
Actually you don't save money this way! You get flexibility, but not savings! the Dual is $210 with delivery and the delta on an ipd pro between wifi and cell versions is $200 and as low as $120 on a regular ipad. And you loose the convenience of the integration.

The flexibility though of a separate GPS device it very attractive!
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2022, 07:22   #33
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

You can have one for $100:

https://www.amazon.com/Dual-Electron...dDbGljaz10cnVl

https://www.amazon.com/Garmin-GLO-Bl...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2022, 07:24   #34

Boat: 38" Sailboat

The reason you only get GPS on the cellular version is the GPS unit is part of the cellular chip, it does not have a dedicated chip for it. The Wifi is a separate chip.

Your two best options are to trade or sell it and get the appropriate model, which shouldn't be terrible since iPads do retain value well, or look at an external source though I am not familiar with using those, but there are several AIS brands that sell a unit that has wifi.

Also while you can get an AIS app for your phone/iPad they rely on internet connectivity so you won't want to rely on them if you are going to be in areas without connectivity, you would want a physical AIS.
SailingPNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2022, 07:48   #35

Boat: Beneteau

I'm not and hope I never will be a proponent of using what is essentially an expensive toy when my life may be on the line. This is salesmanship at the highest level and something old Jobsy did to perfection. It is a poor tool that is not fit for purpose. Buy something made for purpose and environment.

Yes there may be many that disagree but I remain committed to this opinion after years of working in the commercial side of boating from building to sailing and it is a lesson learned long ago in the professional realm. The saying is that a multipurpose item has no real purpose.
nortonscove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2022, 07:51   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmm View Post
Actually you don't save money this way! You get flexibility, but not savings! the Dual is $210 with delivery and the delta on an ipd pro between wifi and cell versions is $200 and as low as $120 on a regular ipad. And you loose the convenience of the integration.

The flexibility though of a separate GPS device it very attractive!
Ok, the price difference went the other way when I looked into it. My Duel has a lot more precise gps location compared to my IPhone or Android phone or tablet.
MikeHoncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2022, 07:56   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHoncho View Post
Ok, the price difference went the other way when I looked into it. I guess it would be a $1200 cost savings considering he already has a IPAD that doesn’t have it and buying a new one would be in the $1200 price range minus the Duel.
I would go after the place that sold it and just keep raising a fuss about it as the "trained salesperson" told me the model has GPS capability... just keep going at them . Buying an add-on device works, but I'd be annoyed the entire time that I was sold the wrong product on the advice of the supposedly knowledgeable staff!
Old 24-05-2022, 08:16   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
IPads with GPS are easy to recognize because their back has a plastic piece at the top, while the non-GPS is all aluminum.

2nd telltale is the little drawer for a SIM card. When that isn’t there, then there is no GPS inside. (You don’t need a SIM card).

Not quite. The latest iPads have eSIMs, ie software SIMs, so there is no ‘little drawer’, but there is GPS.
Yellowtulip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2022, 08:22   #39

Location: Back in Mexico cruising the northern part of Sea of Cortez
Boat: 1999 Pacific Seacraft 40

I have a non-cellular iPad and have been using the Bad Elf solution suggested by several people here for about 6 years now. It has been very successful on a trip up the inside passage through BC to Alaska and recently on our sail down the west coast from Washington to Mexico.

I have not found the need to have a second device linked to the iPad to be onerous at all. Just connect it via bluetooth and hang it somewhere out of the way.

For comparison, I also have an iPad Mini I use also that does have cellular capability, so built in GPS. Coming down the coast, the GPS reception on the Bad Elf/iPac combo was far superior (faster acquisition and better tracking) than the built in GPS capability on the iPad Mini.

YMMV
Smokeys Kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2022, 08:22   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowtulip View Post
Not quite. The latest iPads have eSIMs, ie software SIMs, so there is no ‘little drawer’, but there is GPS.
Not quite. ipads support eSims but still have the drawer for the nano sim. Check their techy spec's its listed as "nano sim tray"

https://www.apple.com/ipad-pro/specs/

The drawer is still there for the foreseeable future
Old 24-05-2022, 08:29   #41
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowtulip View Post
You should have checked that before posting. Yes, they support eSIM but they also have a slot for a physical NanoSIM.

https://www.apple.com/nl/ipad-air/specs/

Why always fight everything I write? First check it, then when I’m wrong put it in my face.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2022, 08:44   #42

Boat: 40 ft Van Dine Custom Gaffed rigged Schooner

Again, and I suppose the thread might be getting so long it’s getting lost in the shuffle.
I have 13” iPad Pro.
IT DEFINITELY has GPS
IT DEFINITELY doesn’t have CELLULAR. I’m told if it did when I go to settings in this descending order it would show
Airplane mode
Wi fi
Bluetooth
Cellular. Which mine DOES NOT SHOW.

One of you kind folks suggested I try downloading charts to the tablet and see it it works if I do that.
One thing I haven’t mentioned but will now is that I have no problem pulling up Navionics on the IPAD, it just won’t show my position, even though again, I DEFINITELY HAVE GPS in this tablet, which is why I bought it in the first place.
Tatheelrod22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2022, 08:47   #43

Boat: Baba 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatheelrod22 View Post
In early spring in anticipation of a trip on a friends boat that’s in process I purchased a new IPAD with built in GPS and their largest screen in order to use it with Navionics. I don’t recall if the clerk at Best Buy asked me if I needed the cellular or Wi-Fi version, but I do recall an extensive conversation regarding my main purpose for buying a larger/IPAD.
After much experimenting trying to get Navionics to show our vessel position and basically do everything on it that I could do on my very small IPHONE, I called Navionics and evenly got a live person to trouble shoot with me. In fairly quick time we landed on my IPAD, not having “cellular’. So now it seems I’ve been using a device for three months, that won’t even do what I mainly bought it for. There’s no way they take it back at this point and swap it but we are in port for a bit si I plan to go talk to them in person about this.
Before I do I’d like to understand this a bit more, plus learn about options such as “ Bad Elf”, which the Navionics trouble shooting guy on the phone told me about. The last thing I want is another device to buy/charge/keep up with, but it sounds like at this point it might be the most practical solution?
Lastly, why do I need ‘cellular” on a device I don’t plan to use as one? Just this post and specifically the prior question probably confirm I’m a technoidiot, and if so that’s definitely accurate.

Thoughts on/education/suggestions and pros/cons of Bad Elf or a similar device very much appreciated folks. If an archive search (which I also struggle with) would have revealed my answers I apologize, but my window of being in port and learning then executing on what I need to do is only open a short period, and I hope to resolve this today.
To answer your question (versus telling you what you did wrong), yes, get a Vad Elf attachment. You’ll also be able to use it with a laptop to grab GPS if you’re using a nav program.
Sailshabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2022, 08:59   #44

Boat: Trlåren 31

Quote:
Again, and I suppose the thread might be getting so long it’s getting lost in the shuffle.
I have 13” iPad Pro.
IT DEFINITELY has GPS
IT DEFINITELY doesn’t have CELLULAR. I’m told if it did when I go to settings in this descending order it would show
Airplane mode
Wi fi
Bluetooth

One of you kind folks suggested I try downloading charts to the tablet and see it it works if I do that.
One thing I haven’t mentioned but will now is that I have no problem pulling up Navionics on the IPAD, it just won’t show my position, even though again, I DEFINITELY HAVE GPS in this tablet, which is why I bought it in the first place.
If you do indeed have GPS/GNSS in your iPad Pro, then perhaps you did not grant Navionics permission to access your device's location?

The specifications currently listed by Apple for the iPad Pro show that non-cellular models do NOT have GPS/GNSS location capability (scroll down to Location).

https://www.apple.com/ipad-pro/specs/
Nord Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2022, 09:01   #45

Quote:
I have 13” iPad Pro.
IT DEFINITELY has GPS
Airplane mode
Wi fi
Bluetooth

You may not want to believe the fine people here on CF, but how about Apple, the people who made your iPad Pro?

iPad Pro 12.9" 5th Generation Technical Specifications

There are "Wi-Fi models" and "Wi-Fi + Cellular models". Scrolling down to "Location":

Quote:
Digital compass
Wi-Fi
iBeacon microlocation
Wi-Fi + Cellular models
Built‑in GPS/GNSS
Cellular
If you think different, post the actual model number you own, it is on the back and in the settings.
PippaB is offline   Reply With Quote