Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-11-2023, 22:07   #1

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
What to look for in a delivery skipper

Given the recent thread regarding a delivery that did not go well, and the interest in topic, perhaps it is a good idea for everyone to pitch in what to look for in a good delivery skipper.

I might start by saying, get their list of references and call them.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2023, 07:22   #2

Boat: Catalina 42
Re: What to look for in a delivery skipper

Communication skills, both on the phone and email/text prior to hiring.

Experience in the waters to be navigated.

Clear and understandable pricing structure. Does it provide for the "what ifs?"
Reeve21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2023, 08:12   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

As an almost retired delivery guy I will share what I feel separates the good delivery guys from the not-so-good.

1-Have they invested in themselves? A top tier delivery guy has a PredictWind Pro account and an Iridium GO. I had an annual PredictWind PRO account so I could do weather routing as part of the bid process. My GO was as-needed. If I knew I was taking a month off to be home with wifey, I let the account close. I also had a Garmin inReach with an annual plan. If the delivery guy cannot afford to invest in him/herself, are they sincere? Are they skilled?

2- What have they done AS MASTER? My wife of 48 years could sit for a 50 ton license tomorrow. That does not mean she can drive a boat. While everyone starts somewhere, there is a difference between hiring someone to move a boat from Ft. Lauderdale to St. Augustine versus Ft. Lauderdale to the BVI's.

3-Do they know the route, or do they posess enough experience in the perils to be safe? I have done Tampa Bay to the east coast of FL so many times, it is almost boring. It has been a long time since I had a "WTF was that" moment. Two years ago I was contacted about a Port Angeles to San Francisco delivery. The initial contact was through my website. I spent a great deal of time studying the route, and researching the perils. When I called the customer 2 days later, I apologized for the delay and explained why I took time to get back to him. Not only did I get the job, but using my acquired knowledge, and downloading weather twice a day, it was a nice boring run. (Boring deliveries are always good!)

4- Are they in a drug testing consortium? Licensed masters are required to be in a drug testing consortium. The annual membership commits the member to random drug testing during their year of membership. It should be renewed every year!

5-Do they help the community? A few of the delivery guys actively contribute to this forum. We share our knowledge. Folks who hire someone who is active on this forum already have a good read of the captain's personality and skills.

6-Do they have solid contracts? My contract covered breakdowns, no drug policy, and addressed numerous issues that can happen on a delivery. ANYONE aboard, including owners, signed a crew contract that reinforced the 'no drugs, no weapons' policy.

Bottom line-- Good labor is not cheap, rarely is cheap labor good! One of the reasons I stopped doing deliveries is low-ballers. Those individuals rarely meet the standards listed above. But they were cheap. A captain who checks all the boxes listed above will charge more. When you need a haircut do you go to the cheapest guy, or someone who gives good haircuts?

Hopefully, this is helpful...... Although I fully expect to get some "blowback".
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2023, 09:12   #4

Boat: Catalina 42

Snore--great post. It will definitely help someone looking to hire a delivery captain for the first time.

Earlier this year I hired a guy who checked most of your boxes, and it was a nice boring delivery. He was far from the cheapest per day quote I got, but being a lot more "efficient" than some the cost was very competitive.
Reeve21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2023, 09:54   #5

Boat: Sabre 402

Good ideas here. Another might be to ask for references and check them out. Follow-up by asking around in the harbors they've worked. Yacht delivery is a small world, and word gets around. If you get hedging responses instead of endorsements, it should tell you something.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2023, 11:26   #6

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

In the other thread, someone mentioned that the good delivery skipper will have insurance for the voyage.
Old 28-11-2023, 13:42   #7

Boat: Sail Club member sailing Other Peoples Boats. Catalina 27/Hunter 28.5

As someone preparing to hopefully begin crewing for delivery skippers this coming year would anyone venture an opinion for vetting the skipper as a crewmember? I've read the sticky on the crew forum but during initial contact to what extent is it reasonable to ask about their experience, competence and licensing without the Master's ego getting bruised by a greenhorn? Also, would an ASA logbook of my sailing experience be a reasonable presentation of my own experience?
Yojimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2023, 13:53   #8

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
In the other thread, someone mentioned that the good delivery skipper will have insurance for the voyage.
It's quite common for the delivery skipper to be temporarily added to the owner's policy.

And that in turn suggests the insurance company may offer some additional insight. (Not sure how common that might be, nor do I know if insurance companies maintain a list of preferred captains.)

Chiming in on the thread: References. And then actually check with the folks who've given a referral.

Plus all that stuff Snore said.

Plus references. Plus check-in with reference providers.

FWIW, I will only do longish deliveries if the owner also provides a ride-along mechanic familiar with the given boat's systems. Or I can bring my own mechanic, but usually prefer the owners selects somebody he/she has knowledge of or an existing (or planned future) relationship with. This largely influenced by a powerboat perspective, with a bazillion different engines/gears/gensets etc out there...

-Chris
Old 28-11-2023, 14:07   #9
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: What to look for in a delivery skipper

On my deliveries I ask the owners to inform their insurers they are hiring me and to add me to their cover.
Insurers will run a trace which will throw up any claims made by/against me and for what.. also they ask for a record of boats I have delivered and details of trips.
The main reason I created a website with photos of boats delivered.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2023, 14:30   #10
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Sorry, got to disagree. Never got my own liability insurance. The owner added me to their insurance.

The risk is that if I EVER had a loss, I knew getting work would be harder. And if I ever had a loss where I was at fault, I was out of business. If I had my own liability insurance, I do not believe the carriers would be as persnickety.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Old 28-11-2023, 14:36   #11
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yojimbo View Post
As someone preparing to hopefully begin crewing for delivery skippers this coming year would anyone venture an opinion for vetting the skipper as a crewmember? I've read the sticky on the crew forum but during initial contact to what extent is it reasonable to ask about their experience, competence and licensing without the Master's ego getting bruised by a greenhorn? Also, would an ASA logbook of my sailing experience be a reasonable presentation of my own experience?
Most delivery guys will not take too kindly to a 3rd degree from a rookie. Politely touching on some of the things I covered is a good start. If the Capt doesn’t mention NO DRUGS and no weapons, get concerned. Most top shelf guys are going to crew contracts so there is no bitch’n about pay at the end of the run.
Old 28-11-2023, 15:09   #12
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

References seem like a 'no brainer' yet if I was a dodgy delivery skipper, I would mention the jobs that were successful, I would not pass on any details of any delivery that went south.

In short, if you are relying on the delivery skipper to provide you with the referee details, you will only get positive data.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2023, 15:32   #13

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
Sorry, got to disagree. Never got my own liability insurance. The owner added me to their insurance.

The risk is that if I EVER had a loss, I knew getting work would be harder. And if I ever had a loss where I was at fault, I was out of business. If I had my own liability insurance, I do not believe the carriers would be as persnickety.
Thank you for clarifying this, Snore, Boatie, and psk. I appreciate it.

Ann
Old 28-11-2023, 17:28   #14

When I was delivering (based out of San Francisco), I didn't carry insurance either. Owner's insurance was notified of the delivery, sometimes they vetted me, sometimes they just accepted the credentials. After about 1-1/2 years, I stopped delivering sailboats and went exclusively power/trawler.

It's hard to vet a delivery skipper without getting really nosy - the guy who lost Boat Bum Gal in Baja had, on the surface, a decent resume I suppose. It's mud now, but before, probably looked pretty impressive.

I'd suggest paying close attention to the questions they ask. Ask if they've ever been involved with an incident that led to an insurance claim. Try to figure out if they are full-time or this is a side-hustle. How long have they been full-time. When I stopped delivering after 5-years of full-time, I was doing about 220 days/year. I'd definitely get a feel for how busy the skipper is. I will tell you that if you have even a whiff of fabrication, puffery, or dishonesty, move on immediately. There is no such thing as a 'white lie.'

I can't speak to the East Coast, but my fees were set based on day-rate. If it was a long delivery such as California to Florida, day-rate would be a bit less, but if I were with the boat, I got paid. Occasionally I'd hit some bad weather and could leave the boat and do another quick delivery which meant the meter stopped. I also knew my area very well and could keep a boat moving - majority of my SoCal to PNW deliveries were one-stop or non-stop of 7+ days. Ask how they work crew - do they have regular people they work with? Delivery fees were usually around half the overall cost of the delivery.

Sailors were difficult. Time is money and sailboats are generally slower than powerboats. Many don't have great range under power - 90% of my deliveries were uphill from Califnornia to the PNW, mostly to avoid California Sales Tax. Consequently, sailboats were quite a bit more expensive to deliver than powerboats. Lot of sticker-shock for sailors.

Peter
USCG 100T Master 899414 (ret.)
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2023, 23:49   #15

An eye patch, hook, wooden leg and a parrot.

Insurance mentioned.
JIK question re insurance. Are you hiring a contractor. Or an individual or group of individuals.

I learned this when I got a builders mortgage to build my own house. The bank insisted I get employers liability insurance.
It’s ok if hire a contractor they have to have employer insurance for thier employees.
Individuals do not.
My regular insurance policy did not cover employer insurance it is a separate policy.
The problem being liability if I hire a guy and he falls or get hurt.
Your regular insurance will cover the boat and injury’s to you or your guest but might not cover injury to someone you hired as crew.
Depending on your local laws and regulations.

It one of the reasons I would probably hire a delivery company rather than an independent skipper.
And one of the reasons I have not done paid deliveries.

Even as a sailing instructor there was a distinct difference between being hired by the sailing school.
I was covered by thier employment insurance.
Working independently I was not covered unless I got the cover myself as an independent contractor.

So ask just in case the skipper or a crew get hurt.

It’s not particularly expensive. I was surprised to find it was not covered by my regular insurance policy.
Uricanejack is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
delivery, skipper