Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-11-2023, 00:37   #16

Re: What to look for in a delivery skipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uricanejack View Post
An eye patch, hook, wooden leg and a parrot.

Insurance mentioned.
JIK question re insurance. Are you hiring a contractor. Or an individual or group of individuals.

I learned this when I got a builders mortgage to build my own house. The bank insisted I get employers liability insurance.
It’s ok if hire a contractor they have to have employer insurance for thier employees.
Individuals do not.
My regular insurance policy did not cover employer insurance it is a separate policy.
The problem being liability if I hire a guy and he falls or get hurt.
Your regular insurance will cover the boat and injury’s to you or your guest but might not cover injury to someone you hired as crew.
Depending on your local laws and regulations.

It one of the reasons I would probably hire a delivery company rather than an independent skipper.
And one of the reasons I have not done paid deliveries.

Even as a sailing instructor there was a distinct difference between being hired by the sailing school.
I was covered by thier employment insurance.
Working independently I was not covered unless I got the cover myself as an independent contractor.

So ask just in case the skipper or a crew get hurt.

It’s not particularly expensive. I was surprised to find it was not covered by my regular insurance policy.
It’s called worker’s compensation insurance.
Required by law here in BC Canada. And in most states but does vary by province and state.
In simple terms.
Any employer with 1 or more employees must have worker’s compensation insurance.
There a a few exceptions. Eg Relatives, some volunteers, some people working for other than money. Eg food or accommodation.

So if you hire a company or contractor it’s their problem.
If you employ someone it’s your problem. Your the employer.

I can’t say for individual states other than BC where I live. How this is applied. I had to get a policy from WCBC who does worker compensation here in BC. It cost about 50 bucks a month. Quite a few years ago.
It was definitely not covered here in BC by my house or boat policies. Not even a specific insurance policy for construction. It’s is a separate policy here.
The law in your state might be different and it might be covered by a home policy I don’t know.

But I would ask. If I was hiring a delivery skipper who is paying the worker’s compensation insurance.

If I hire a delivery company I probably don’t have to worry about it because as an employer the delivery company is required to have this insurance in most states and province’s.
Uricanejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2023, 04:26   #17

Boat: Jeanneau SO469

I will add an item. Before starting the delivery trip expect the captain to build in a day to inspect the boat and explain what happens if the boat doesn’t seem ready for the planned delivery. A good captain should be up front about this and be flexible as to terms depending on the voyage. We have all likely seen boats that were “ perfect” in the owners mind but not safe for an offshore passage. The time to agree on what happens and who pays what I’m this situation is before the contract is signed.
Peeew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 07:44   #18

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
References seem like a 'no brainer' yet if I was a dodgy delivery skipper, I would mention the jobs that were successful, I would not pass on any details of any delivery that went south.

In short, if you are relying on the delivery skipper to provide you with the referee details, you will only get positive data.
I would add to this, do not rely on Facebook as a way to check references. Any negative feedback will have been deleted and the users that left the feedback, blocked.
PNWSalmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 08:28   #19

Boat: Leopard 4200 Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Given the recent thread regarding a delivery that did not go well, and the interest in topic, perhaps it is a good idea for everyone to pitch in what to look for in a good delivery skipper.

I might start by saying, get their list of references and call them.
From personal experience, all the offered thoughts are worthy, and I might add one more. Be very attentive to subtle indicators of personal ethic. The first delivery skipper I ever hired turned out being a disaster because of personal integrity of the skipper. I had adequate warning, but failed to take action and not hire him. We had elected a in person meeting, as he was just returning that day from another delivery. He had taken a cab or other transportation from the harbor to our meet. Everything went well, we seemed to have a deal going. But - he kept looking at his watch - finally, I asked if we were keeping him from an appointment. His response floored me, and I should have taken note.
Seems he had parked his car in a pay lot weeks earlier, and the lot was about to close. I indicated I thought we were good to go, and don’t let us keep you from getting your truck. He said, oh, that’s not it - I just need to be sure to get there AFTER they close, so I can just drive off! His ethic was demonstrated in multiple ways, on many occasions, during a very long delivery. I have often reflected on the importance of that first test of ethic!
larrymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 08:49   #20

Definitely check references. However, references are not that difficult to fake, and only an imbecile would give a reference that was not good.

The best advice is to learn how to interview and then approach it like you were hiring a person to run your company for you. Prepare for the interview.

Me, I don’t mind being given the 3rd degree by a rookie. I fully realize that they are interviewing me to take their baby, in which they may have a considerable percentage of their net worth invested. Of COURSE they want assurance!

I’ll often prepare a sketch of a float plan for them before the interview (a full float plan is either a separate service if they don’t hire me, or just part of the delivery if they do).
CyKlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 08:50   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

“How to pick a Delivery Captain?” ➥ https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...in-234308.html

“How to Find the Right Delivery Captain” ➥ https://www.yachtworld.com/research/...ivery-captain/

“Choosing a skipper - How to pick the right person?” ➥ https://www.multihulls-world.com/art...e-right-person

“Yacht deliveries: How to get your yacht from A to B” ➥ https://www.yachtingmonthly.com/crui...m-a-to-b-95020

“Delivering your baby: how to choose the right skipper”https://www.mysailing.com.au/deliver...right-skipper/

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 09:20   #22
TPG

Boat: Admiral 40

Get references, and spend time talking to them. And avoid the cheap guys, other comments here are right about that.
TPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 12:22   #23

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

I'm Snore's worst nightmare, because I have the experience and I'm not in it for the money. I just like messing around on boats. Fortunately for him, most of my trips are in the Pacific. I charge by the days at sea or dollars per mile, but I don't skimp on crew or push the boat, because I don't need the money. My rates depend on whether there is a dodger and an autopilot. Bigger boats pay more than smaller boats .

I don't advertise, and much of my business is repeat or I get recommended by some sailing legends who know me.

I don't sign contracts with the crew or the owner, because contracts mean lawyers, and there are special maritime laws on passengers and crew. I usually cover all the boat and crew expenses without a deposit, and have never been stiffed.

I do depend on the boat's insurance, and expect to get vetted by the insurance company. However, it is getting harder and harder to insure older boats for offshore passages.

A day's boat inspection is overkill for a couple of day coastal delivery. More like a couple of hours checking the critical systems. For example, if its a 3 day trip and the electrical system is dodgy, the motor never gets turned off.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 12:37   #24

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

wait a minute...isn't this how you pick a delivery skipper ? or maybe they all look like this ?

Click image for larger version

Name:	captain-ron-e1675176935745.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	284075

cheers,
Old 04-12-2023, 13:48   #25

Is there a thread about how delivery skippers can avoid being cheated by clients? I've only met one thankfully but it was an unpleasent experience.
smacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 14:04   #26

The term is being added as an "Additional Insured" to the owners policy. Then you're covered just as the owner.
Sky2sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 14:45   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by smacksman View Post
Is there a thread about how delivery skippers can avoid being cheated by clients? I've only met one thankfully but it was an unpleasent experience.
5-years and well over 100-clients. Never had an issue but for me, perhaps because many boats were new builds and I came to know the owners pretty well by the time the delivery came around. I had sent them an estimate of all expenses (not just my fees) and a schedule of how to issue payments. I did not take a deposit for my fees, but did for travel expenses and any underway boat expenses.

But in answer to your question, I would think there are some yellow/red flags. Last-minute delivery request or some sort of emergency would be high on that list.
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 15:21   #28
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: What to look for in a delivery skipper

Quote:
A contract is the best way.. signed.
I used to operate on an honour code till I got stiffed on a delivery from Ft Lauderdale to Perth, Australia.
Thanks to an excellent Marine lawyer who worked the case pro bono I got some recompense but I could have done without the stress after a 7mth delivery with a few traumatic moments.
Also got to meet and gain a good friend with a CF member who took me under his wing.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 15:23   #29
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Quote:
Early on I had to chase an attorney for my money. Fortunately, I had a few friends who were able to legally lean on him.

After that-

Rule 1 Never leave boat without final payment. I prepped the final invoice during the passage and was able to add the final costs at the dock.

Rule 2 No checks.

Rule 3 I set up credit card processing. Of course if you paid with a CC there was a 3% convenience fee.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 15:24   #30
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisr View Post
wait a minute...isn't this how you pick a delivery skipper ? or maybe they all look like this ?

Attachment 284075

cheers,
PLEASE do not use my image without my authorization
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
delivery, skipper