Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-01-2024, 05:02   #76

Boat: IP 44
Re: The two person shower

Whats happening? Did this thread just start over?
CrispyCringle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2024, 05:08   #77

Boat: Volkscruiser

Joboggi you do realise these people are making money out of these videos and one issue should not condemn a whole company. If you swallowed half the tripe these YouTubers dish out you would never buy a boat. I have been involved with a keel repair on a custom boat that had everything done to a high standard. But after a sever grounding the keel almost came off.
I am glad my steel Lagoon hybrid has none of these issues. When I fitted the fish finder I just fired up the chainsaw and cut a hole in my solid timber dash. As for my keels they're welded on, then fibreglassed with carbon and finally sheathed in concrete for abrasion resistance.
Crispy we're just playing troll tennis!
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2024, 06:41   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joboggi View Post
Beneteau

Spear it animal reports having to drill out galvanized nails on a 2007

Hanse and Beneteau glue in the stringers. Not sure just how extensive this defect is in the fleet.

Expedition Evans
Sailing Aurora goes over the repair and the background in detail

Laminated woodwork “ high quality made in Italy” Jeanneau 55

The agent sent me the stringer set up for the Jeanneau 55. Still working on that one, for general purposes which is out due to laminated woodwork as reported by the agent.

I haven’t been in them but a Jeanneau 55 and a Kraken 50 do have a two person shower.

Refuse to get the laminated woodwork on the Jeanneau

Can’t get the Kraken 50 until 2027 or later. It has been a few months since I checked. Plus the guy has not called with an earlier date or a used Kraken.

No defects on the Kraken which is overbuilt for most purposes but carries a large sail inventory and so reportedly sails quite well.

The newer Amels appear to have a large shower and have zero defects. A used 2022 Amel 50 appears to be the target at the moment. An Amel 64 also appears to be on target 2012 model is the same price.

My search has probably revealed more data.

I am sure there are more I have not yet seen

By coincidence the H/R 69 agent just got into the shower. It looks a little tight in addition to being too much boat. The shower looks fine for one, which is a reasonable fallback but not optimal. Too much boat there. Great boat with a Kraken + level sized mechanical room.

Owners head in the H/R 69 has a two person rain shower!

Being new, I come with references. You can watch the videos noted which was my first step in doing the research. I skipped through looking for details on the boats. The spear it animal Beneteau was found in the kitchen remodel video. And so on.

Another goal is to catalog the defective sailboats by defect in general.

For now I am looking for more two person showers. ( the Amel 50 is probably a 1.5 person shower.) not totally sure on that one. While at the same price an Amel 2012 64 is prob too much boat.

So we will watch what happens.
this is a riot to read.
I would suggest either starting with a excessive bank account or a houseboat tied to the dock.
What does "glueing in" the stringers mean? Epoxy is a glue. Fiberglass is a building material, glueing in is a process that is used for bridge construction, airplanes, and many other less conspicious projects.
"Laminating" is utilized as a method of high strength construction with focus on engineering- If you are referring to trim not being solid, maybe you are not planning to efficent sailing or eco powering, both resultants of laminating to save weight.
And the two person shower- besides water requirements, mechanical requirements, and simply cleaning requirements, their is a practical side to having a decent deck access shower wand......
May I suggest a barge?
boat driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2024, 06:54   #79

Our Fountaine Pajot Saona cat has a shower that’s big enough for three!
Jweyndling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2024, 07:25   #80

Boat: Beneteau 423

Showers on boats should be perfunctory.
Not sure I would want to shower with you anyway.
ColIn Ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2024, 07:39   #81

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat driver View Post
this is a riot to read.
I would suggest either starting with a excessive bank account or a houseboat tied to the dock.
What does "glueing in" the stringers mean? Epoxy is a glue. Fiberglass is a building material, glueing in is a process that is used for bridge construction, airplanes, and many other less conspicious projects.
"Laminating" is utilized as a method of high strength construction with focus on engineering- If you are referring to trim not being solid, maybe you are not planning to efficent sailing or eco powering, both resultants of laminating to save weight.
And the two person shower- besides water requirements, mechanical requirements, and simply cleaning requirements, their is a practical side to having a decent deck access shower wand......
May I suggest a barge?
What it means is explained here https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ts-250808.html
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2024, 07:40   #82

Boat: 1989 Gozzard 36

This is an easy one to solve, go to Mike Gozzard (Gozzard yachts ). They make bespoke boats. Tell them what you want and they will give you a design based on one of their hulls.

All of their interiors are one off's based on stock componets and hulls.

My boat was built for a 6'4" guy who wanted a walk in shower, and they made it in a 36 foot hull.

Plus they are built for bluewater!
dan104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2024, 08:08   #83

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058

Quote:
Didn’t see that one. I just read the plot summary however.

Maybe there are a couple of sailboats out there not used by Clark Gable and Carol Lombard.

Criteria

1. Comfort 95% of the time
2. Already built
3. No laminates, glued stringers or galvanized nails. No to Beneteau or Hanse etc. built like this. I am going to keep talking about this one until they build all new boats to last.
4. Two person shower
5. Adequate storage, mechanical, electrical, solar, water maker, space in one area to work out,
6. Maintained as new

Note comfort makes up two of the first criteria.

When I submitted the ENTIRE list to an agent his eyes lit up.

Let’s just deal with the hardest point. A two person shower, not previously used by Clark Gable.
Catalina 470 forward shower is very large
GreenWave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2024, 08:41   #84

Boat: Catalina 36 MKII

Ernest Gann had his last boat built for he and his wife in Friday Harbor, San Juan Island, WA. "Strumpet" is a 35 ft wooden power cruiser. The quote is related to his design wishes for "Strumpet".

https://saltwaterpeoplehistoricalsoc...riday.html?m=1
ChrisPuget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2024, 08:45   #85

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Dockhead, I don't think it was guest list for dinner, rather the quantity of those who "tried" to stay overnight.

. . .
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2024, 08:46   #86

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Which sailboats have a bonafide two person shower?

We are in the market for a large cruiser.

Step 1.
Stand on deck. Two hoses.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2024, 08:49   #87

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColIn Ferguson View Post
Showers on boats should be perfunctory.
Not sure I would want to shower with you anyway.

Perfunctory? I beg to differ. You've just crossed the North Sea in a howling gale and horizontal rain, taking two hour watches each because you get tired so fast in the cold and wet. You finally made Helgoland harbor in the German Bight and got the anchor down after 3 days and nights from Cowes. The shower I am taking after that is going to be the farthest thing from "perfunctory". I'm going to let that hot water pour over me until it washes away every last bit of the cold and fatigue and sweat. Thank God for the Eberspacher central heat and its endless hot water. Nor is the gin and tonic I drink after my shower going to be "perfunctory".
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2024, 10:34   #88

You may want to consider a catamaran. Our Nautitech 46 open -owners version has a large shower for two.
AnniDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2024, 11:02   #89

Boat: Manta 42 Mk II

Manta catamaran. We are on our second one. Changed from a 1998 Manta 40 to a 2004 Manta 42 MkII. Great cruising boat.
WantTo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2024, 11:56   #90

Quote:
Didn’t see that one. I just read the plot summary however.

Maybe there are a couple of sailboats out there not used by Clark Gable and Carol Lombard.

Criteria

1. Comfort 95% of the time
2. Already built
3. No laminates, glued stringers or galvanized nails. No to Beneteau or Hanse etc. built like this. I am going to keep talking about this one until they build all new boats to last.
4. Two person shower
5. Adequate storage, mechanical, electrical, solar, water maker, space in one area to work out,
6. Maintained as new

Note comfort makes up two of the first criteria.

When I submitted the ENTIRE list to an agent his eyes lit up.

Let’s just deal with the hardest point. A two person shower, not previously used by Clark Gable.
Look at Mandrain 52 by Seahorse
jimellifritt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shower