Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2015, 13:22   #391

Boat: Freedom 32'
Re: Important things we don't talk about much

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
We spend a lot of time talking about important things like rigging, engines, etc. etc.

But little really about important things that have MAJOR impact on life on a boat that aren't a "system". So lets talk more about those unspoken important things. To start with 1 that comes to my mind that gets some noise, but no where near to the level of its importance:

A GOOD mattress! One that you can sleep on and wake up rested because you didn't end up with sore pressure points, toss all night trying to be comfortable, make you toss the covers off then get them back and stick your leg out to try to control temperature. I bet most people would think of a $1000 mattress, that provides years of good sleep, as just way too much money. But when you think of the amount of use and its' importance you your enjoyment and overall well-being a good mattress is worth a lot more than $1000!
I've slept on waterbeds, straw mattress, $4,000 mattress. Best by far was the straw mattress. JFK had one for his back. Not good a boat, but next very best EVER was a $265 one at IKEA! Will look at material and try to get a set up for my boat.
Old 04-08-2015, 14:33   #392
CLOD

Boat: none

Important Things

Bug spray and sun screen. Good products I find are worth it over cheap ones (now the same as saying the expensive ones are worth it).

Curtains - privacy, shade, allow you to sleep in past dawn
Old 04-08-2015, 14:52   #393

Boat: Various

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrydeare View Post
We're not usually considered "fuddy duddy" but I must admit we don't often have our friends use our mattress. Is this a California thing?
Wifey B: Well, now that you mention it...but we live in FL.

How about maybe like friends saw it and tested it and then we put in guest rooms and soon they were buying them too.

Maybe it comes with California Kings?

Fuddy duddy.... You say no one ever lays with you watching tv?

Oh but then the mattress in our master bedroom is 10' x 12' ......

Oops....doubt I helped correct any possible misunderstanding....but then....oh who knows...I give up...no mas.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 14:59   #394

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Have I mentioned a flyswatter yet? When you need it, it is VERY important.
And not just any old flyswatter. Having one that "fits" you and your particular swatting movement/routine is important. We have this swatter that came with our boat that is like the hand of god when I use it. No fly can survive it and I can hit multiple flies at once - even on opposite sides of the boat…

It has just the right springiness, just the right give on the head, just the right stiffness in the handle, completely silent as it slices through the air, etc. In my hands, it is a deadly lethal weapon and should probably be banned lest the earth loses all of its flies.

And then the kicker - it has these numerous short little prongs lining its forward edge that allows you to go around and scoop up all the dead flies with it. These little prongs are also the reason it is so silent and the head slaps down in just the right way without forming a leading edge pressure pulse that allows the fly to kick away at the last moment.

I would tell you what the make/model of this awesome killing machine is, but alas, the company no longer makes it! In a moment of panicked fear when I realized that this was the only one we had and it was 17yrs old, I searched down the company and called them about getting some more.

The (young) person I talked to said they don't even make flyswatters and I asked to be switched to someone who had worked there a long time. I got switched to two more people until I got a (older) man who told me "you actually have one of those? We stopped making them decades ago".

Sigh. I have tried many other swatters, but none have the deadly acuity, hand feel, and projection of omnipotent insect violence that this one has. In fact, all the rest just seem like cheap junk marginally thrown together to resemble something that may or may not kill a fly.

I'm still looking for a new swatter, but really have lost all hope…

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 15:01   #395

Boat: Shopping

Quote:
Probably, but why would I have lighter fluid on my boat (and don't dare say to use gasoline). Plus would still to lite the stick from the stove and carry it to the cockpit without it going out.
When I was a kid we used lighter fluid to get beach tar off our feet.
Cottontop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 15:27   #396
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
And not just any old flyswatter. Having one that "fits" you and your particular swatting movement/routine is important. We have this swatter that came with our boat that is like the hand of god when I use it. No fly can survive it and I can hit multiple flies at once - even on opposite sides of the boat…

Mark
bold talk, how abut a video of the action, or at least a photo
Old 04-08-2015, 15:46   #397

Boat: Various

Now, speaking of flyswatters, come into the 21st century. We had a bunch of fly shooters as some sort of advertising gimmick. I think also called bug guns.

Don't think I ever hit a fly but I could sit behind my desk and pick off people who walked past my door.

Oh, the ones we had also had long strings so you could easily retrieve.
Attached Images

BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 16:16   #398

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
bold talk, how abut a video of the action, or at least a photo
Can't do video and a photo would just bring PETA down on me.

Imagine one of those recent pictures in the news with a person standing over a dead giraffe or lion. Now picture a 6' tall pile of dead flies instead of that lion.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 21:34   #399

Is the flyswatter this year's Bucket Thread? Maybe the Flyswatter needs its own thread!
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 00:27   #400

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Now, speaking of flyswatters, come into the 21st century. We had a bunch of fly shooters as some sort of advertising gimmick. I think also called bug guns.

Don't think I ever hit a fly but I could sit behind my desk and pick off people who walked past my door.

Oh, the ones we had also had long strings so you could easily retrieve.
I have one that looks like a small tennis racquet - but the "net" is electrified. Hit any bug with and he's toast (literally). Knock them right out of the air.

I won't post a video because I am also afraid of getting the tree huggers on my neck - suffice to say that since getting this, I've seen bugs making a wide detour around my boat.

My reputation precedes me

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 01:21   #401

Boat: PSC Orion 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
I have one that looks like a small tennis racquet - but the "net" is electrified. Hit any bug with and he's toast (literally). Knock them right out of the air.
I love these things. On a buggy night you can just waft it back and forth and smile as the crackles of electrocution light up the night. Sigh... Beautiful.

goat

Sent from my SGH-I257M using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 03:52   #402
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor g View Post
Is the flyswatter this year's Bucket Thread? Maybe the Flyswatter needs its own thread!
Didn't catch on

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...on-132343.html
Old 05-08-2015, 09:56   #403

LOL! I was joking! I didn't see this thread. I do have appreciation for your Retro version of the fly swatter-sometimes you can't beat the time-tested variety! And Maine bugs would really challenge it!

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1438793775.139874.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	168.7 KB
ID:	106775
Old 05-08-2015, 12:26   #404

Boat: OEM, proportional

An anti-insect GUN.

The Bug-A-Salt 2.0 | Air gun blog - Pyramyd Air Report

Coloured yellow, so as not to fwighten anybody. It shoots salt, is pump action, but doesn't have a bayonet lug or the shoulder thingy that goes up. You may have inconvenience when customs demand your ammo as well....
Old 05-08-2015, 21:41   #405

You can always replace the salt with your watermaker!

Tags
import