Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Our Community (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f129/)
-   -   Important things we don't talk about much (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f129/important-things-we-dont-talk-about-much-119860.html)

sailorboy1 31-01-2014 14:55

Important things we don't talk about much

We spend a lot of time talking about important things like rigging, engines, etc. etc.

But little really about important things that have MAJOR impact on life on a boat that aren't a "system". So lets talk more about those unspoken important things. To start with 1 that comes to my mind that gets some noise, but no where near to the level of its importance:

A GOOD mattress! One that you can sleep on and wake up rested because you didn't end up with sore pressure points, toss all night trying to be comfortable, make you toss the covers off then get them back and stick your leg out to try to control temperature. I bet most people would think of a $1000 mattress, that provides years of good sleep, as just way too much money. But when you think of the amount of use and its' importance you your enjoyment and overall well-being a good mattress is worth a lot more than $1000!

boatman61 31-01-2014 15:13

Re: Important things we don't talk about much

Mattress....!!?
Whats that...??
https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.n..._4313638_n.jpg

mikecin 31-01-2014 15:14

Good binocs!

boatman61 31-01-2014 15:17

For those moments of inferiority...:thumb:
But... we don't talk about it...

Caracal 31-01-2014 15:17

A way to make my coffee "just-so".

That, the mattress, and a good duvet.

brutb 31-01-2014 15:27

Quality maid service would be nice, they don't even have to be 21 years old and weigh only 115 lbs and stand 5' 4" and be beautiful.:whistling::devil::whistling: After all "she, the maker of all rules, read admiral" would only let me look before knocking the @%&$@ out of me.

On the real side of the question I would say a nice comfortable chair or chairs that recline for reading and watching an ocassional DVD.:thumb:

socaldmax 31-01-2014 15:30

I never realized people used binoculars while they were sleeping. I must be doing it wrong.

zeehag 31-01-2014 15:43

it has come to my attention that a decent mattress would be mebbe almost as good an idea as refrigeration, but i aint payin no 1000usd for no mattress. cheeeze....
i will allow you to learn what i pay for one, if you are well behaved, as wellas where i find it, once i accomplish that task. it may be some time yet. engine is first.

Teknav 31-01-2014 15:52

For a good night sleep...wear loose minimal clothes after a shower, have a warm cup of milk or a yogurt, and make sure your legs are raised 2+ inches higher than your head. If all else fail, a Benadryl tablet, at dinner time, should zonk you out to a good night sleep; don't overdo the Benadryl. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ :D

Mauritz
Going to behave now!

a64pilot 31-01-2014 15:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by zeehag (Post 1455452)
it has come to my attention that a decent mattress would be mebbe almost as good an idea as refrigeration, but i aint payin no 1000usd for no mattress. cheeeze....
i will allow you to learn what i pay for one, if you are well behaved, as wellas where i find it, once i accomplish that task. it may be some time yet. engine is first.

I sleep on a mattress that cost at least that, one of those stupid expensive Tempurpedic mattress. But I sleep better in my RV, it's a cheap mattress on a piece of plywood and a Walmart memory foam topper, go figure

a64pilot 31-01-2014 15:59

Oh, and I'd take the hammock in warm Wx anytime

goboatingnow 31-01-2014 16:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teknav (Post 1455461)
For a good night sleep...wear loose minimal clothes after a shower, have a warm cup of milk or a yogurt, and make sure your legs are raised 2+ inches higher than your head. If all else fail, a Benadryl tablet, at dinner time, should zonk you out to a good night sleep; don't overdo the Benadryl. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ :D

Mauritz
Going to behave now!

I can never sleep with my legs higher then my head.

Dave

neptunesjester 31-01-2014 16:07

+1 on a comfortable place to sit. I've sat on a lot of settees that are worse than a church pew..

onestepcsy37 31-01-2014 16:18

best sales pitch i ever got was from a mattress salesman in a big department store.

he showed us the most expensive mattress in the store - $1000 i think. when i frowned at the price he said, 'you know, people will pay $40,000 for a car that they spend maybe two hours a day in, but won't pay $1000 for a mattress that they spend eight hours a night on'.

couldn't argue with his logic, but i still didn't buy the mattress.

Vasco 31-01-2014 16:22

An e-reader and two thousand e-books. No more smelly paperbacks and no more having to mooch and trade books. And I can also download new ones from the library.