Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2021, 16:39   #31

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Re: Hangkai Chinese Engines - $225 New

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
China does nothing of the sort.
The US govt is responsible for allowing the drugs in
The US medico over prescribe it
And YOU are ultimately responsible for the illicit drugs you ingest

And tell me, how is that Chinese made phone/tablet/PC you are posting with going?

Also both of these articles, one from the DEA say most of the illicit fentanyl comes from Mexico

https://www.dea.gov/factsheets/fentanyl

https://www.cfr.org/backgrounder/us-opioid-epidemic
I'd have to disagree about the US medico over prescribing. I feel sorry for our GP. He thought he was studying for medicine not to be a CPA. Between the gov. and the hospital affiliation, for insurance, he can no longer practice medicine. It's a sad state of affairs to see a bright young man hobbled by bureaucracy.
Old 10-10-2021, 18:22   #32

Boat: Cal-40

I don’t know anything about these engines however I do know I hate to fight my dingy engine when it acts up. Something tells me a new engine under 500 dollars is going to be the kind of investment that makes me wish I had spent more and gotten the Yamaha. However on the bright side if they turns out to be a pile of sh#t there is a much lower chance to get your dingy stolen
Old 10-10-2021, 18:30   #33

Boat: Jeanneau 41 DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
I'd have to disagree about the US medico over prescribing. I feel sorry for our GP. He thought he was studying for medicine not to be a CPA. Between the gov. and the hospital affiliation, for insurance, he can no longer practice medicine. It's a sad state of affairs to see a bright young man hobbled by bureaucracy.
Second that. In California we have something called CURES. You have to check out every patient before you give them narcotics to see if they got it from other doctors. Drug seekers are very clever...then we doctors get blamed.
Today, most overdose from drug addicts do not come from doctors. It comes from the street via illegal drugs and imported from across the border. They do not need a doctor....just a drug dealer. Oh..don't forget how the government gives out free needles so that they do not spread HIV... as if the drug addict is responsible to bring back the dirty needles to get clean ones. Anyone been to San Francisco lately...I was in training up there when the needle exchange program started. Good in theory, lousy in practice.
Got to love how someone from Australia knows so much about what happens in the US without ever having any experience as if quoting the DEA makes them an expert...not to mention that we are 50 States with all different sets of rules and problems.
Abe
Old 10-10-2021, 18:38   #34

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingabe41ds View Post
Got to love how someone from Australia knows so much about what happens in the US without ever having any experience as if quoting the DEA makes them an expert...not to mention that we are 50 States with all different sets of rules and problems.
Abe
I can read.
Old 10-10-2021, 18:39   #35

Boat: Jeanneau 41 DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewt View Post
I CAN'T SAYAI AM IMPRESSED WITH ANYTHING, OTHER THAN VIRIS THAT THEY HAVE MADE LATELY!!

Well, they did not even get that right. We helped them with the technology and the funds to do that.

IMHO

Abe
Old 10-10-2021, 18:50   #36

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingabe41ds View Post
Second that. In California we have something called CURES. You have to check out every patient before you give them narcotics to see if they got it from other doctors. Drug seekers are very clever...then we doctors get blamed.
Today, most overdose from drug addicts do not come from doctors. It comes from the street via illegal drugs and imported from across the border. They do not need a doctor....just a drug dealer.
And how do you think they got addicted?

Almost every article I have read has a similar story
It starts with Drs over prescribing leading to addiction
And ends with the user feeding their addiction via dodgy sources.

Quote:
First, in all fairness, I will start with physicians. We overprescribe opioids, just as we overprescribe antibiotics. But it is generally well meaning; we don’t want our patients to experience pain. But then we prescribe 30 or 60 pills when 5 or 20 would have been adequate. We do that because we are used to prescribing in multiples of 30; 30 days for a month supply of a once a day medication, 90 days for a mail-order prescription. Prescribing 6 or 10 pills will undoubtedly result in a phone call from a pharmacist asking for a round number of pills, taking up time better spent entering meaningless information into our electronic health record systems. It is the leftover pills that sit forgotten in the medicine cabinet which often lead to trouble, stolen by a relative or visitor and abused. But sometimes it is that prescription that was provided for true pain that leads rapidly to tolerance and addiction
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6140023/
Old 10-10-2021, 18:53   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueH2Obound View Post
I think that's why the OP is doing his due diligence and researching the engines prior to a possibly purchase . . . it also doesn't seem that CHEAP is his first criteria, sounds more like RELIABILITY is his first priority, but if it is reliable, AND inexpensive, so much the better. I have friends whose primary measure of quality is price. . . As in, "If it is expensive, it must be good!" And advertises know that, and take advantage of that. What was it that PT Barnum said?!?
First words of the OP: "The cheap Hangkai engines"

First words of his second post: "True, that's the reason I thought a cheap engine might be good for a dingy,"

He's after cheap first and praying for any confirmation that the thing will be useful for any purpose including getting him home because: "if the engine breaks just paddle. Something that need not be relied on."

Now maybe if you live in the mooring field in Bonaire that's a sensible strategy. Maybe if you live on your boat close to shore anywhere that's a sensible strategy. But if you are a cruiser buying a dodgy dinghy engine with a back up plan to just row to your boat when it falls off the transom seems a bit silly and dangerous.
Old 10-10-2021, 19:00   #38
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

If my experience with a Parsun outboard is anything to go by,run a mile from a cheap PRC outboard.
You could buy a little used Yamaha for the same price & i know which i would bet my life on.
Old 10-10-2021, 19:01   #39

Here’s a screenshot of the Australian scamnet warning for good brand name outboard motorsClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2670.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	321.7 KB
ID:	246690
Old 10-10-2021, 19:44   #40

What is this interest in financing a totalitarian government that we will eventually be at war with! Your dollars will come back in the form of bombs and bullets!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And yes they are junk, not even available in SE Asia.

Lem
Old 10-10-2021, 20:24   #41

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50 G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamber View Post
The cheap Hangkai engines are now being shipped with up to 30 days return policies. Shipped from California or NJ. Anyone RECENTLY have experience or any knowledge of the current quality of these engines are. Supposedly they are built better than in the past. Might be good for a dinghy.

All the people I came across who complained about the Hangkai breaking after a few hours or rusting by the end of the summer owned them years ago.

I have seen a seller offering a 3 year warranty for the Hangkai engines. It is this 3 year warranty that got my attention.
Depends on how much value you place on keeping manufacturing and jobs for Americans going.
Old 11-10-2021, 05:56   #42
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Hangkai Chinese Engines - $225 New

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthLE View Post
What is this interest in financing a totalitarian government that we will eventually be at war with! Your dollars will come back in the form of bombs and bullets!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lem

Youll never be at war with the Chinese I mean they own all your debt and most of your technology and a fair junk of your country.

You don’t go to war with your bankers. You grovel and say nice things abs hopefully they extend your credit line and sell you the “ stuff “ you desperately want .
Old 11-10-2021, 06:52   #43

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthLE View Post

Lem
You might do a little research and see how many wars China has been in over the last 70 years. Then check out the good old USA. Then you will see who is the warring nation.
Old 11-10-2021, 07:02   #44

I spent 10 years of my life trying to buy a successful product from China. I learned never to compare the Chinese with the Japanese. THe Japanese had pride and wanted to be like everyone else. The Chinese don't. They've worked out that WE will buy ANYTHING as long as it's cheap.They run ZERO supports for what they make. There is no warranty division. There is no spare parts. TIp- Ask your cheap product maker to supply you a parts list for the models they are quoting you. Unless they are an ex pat company, you will never get them. THey don't sell parts. You buy another whole machine. You complain about poor quality to them and they all say the same, as though it was taught at school, "Ahh, no wuddies, cheap, cheap, buy anudder." And we do.
If anyone suggests you should consider buying any Chinese machine, ask to physically see their spare parts stock. There is no machine made that doesn't require parts.
The planet cannot afford to replace every machine made after its first requirement for spare parts. To make this situation worse, consider how you recycle a Chinese product when NONE have recycling info on them? Costs money to use pure raw products and more to identify them for recycling and more to keep those records. Much cheaper without all that stuff and all those on high horses complaining about our economies shrivelling, shrug their shoulders and go down to the shops to buy their third "cheap" oven for home.
Why then did I spend 10 years doing it then? The promise of profit was so high. I eventually made a lot but then within a year or two, their poor quality and my countries quality rules made us lose all that profit and some, TRYING to repair the damage we had done by selling so much rubbish.
If you replace an outboard 5 times within the time a Yamaha happily runs, was it really cheap? How's the resale value?
Old 11-10-2021, 07:27   #45
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewt View Post
I CAN'T SAYAI AM IMPRESSED WITH ANYTHING, OTHER THAN VIRIS THAT THEY HAVE MADE LATELY!!
Fair enough, but surely youre also impressed with their industrial espionage, normal espionage, and the masses of americans theyve killed with all that fentanyl they supply! Or, surely impressed by how they bully and intimidate their neighbors!
Closed Thread

Tags
engine