Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-10-2021, 20:23   #1

Hangkai Chinese Engines - $225 New

The cheap Hangkai engines are now being shipped with up to 30 days return policies. Shipped from California or NJ. Anyone RECENTLY have experience or any knowledge of the current quality of these engines are. Supposedly they are built better than in the past. Might be good for a dinghy.

All the people I came across who complained about the Hangkai breaking after a few hours or rusting by the end of the summer owned them years ago.

I have seen a seller offering a 3 year warranty for the Hangkai engines. It is this 3 year warranty that got my attention.
Old 09-10-2021, 21:24   #2

Boat: Cape Dory 31
Re: Hangkai Chinese Engines - $225 New

If it sounds too good to be true..
Old 09-10-2021, 21:48   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamber View Post
The cheap Hangkai engines are now being shipped with up to 30 days return policies. Shipped from California or NJ. Anyone RECENTLY have experience or any knowledge of the current quality of these engines are. Supposedly they are built better than in the past. Might be good for a dinghy.

All the people I came across who complained about the Hangkai breaking after a few hours or rusting by the end of the summer owned them years ago.

I have seen a seller offering a 3 year warranty for the Hangkai engines. It is this 3 year warranty that got my attention.
It's your cars engine; the car that you rely on in an emergency, right? Is CHEAP your first criteria? How about known reliability?
Old 10-10-2021, 03:32   #4
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixnax View Post
It's your cars engine; the car that you rely on in an emergency, right? Is CHEAP your first criteria? How about known reliability?
He is asking for reliability and quality experiences, not telling you to buy it…

Old 10-10-2021, 04:15   #5

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamber View Post

Just for clarity, the engine depicted above seems to be the 6.5HP 4 stroke, which Amazon lists for $895.
Old 10-10-2021, 06:25   #6

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Who is selling them for that price? Also, check the shipping cost, some sites hide that until you go to buy.

My car doesn't have oars, so that's not a great comparison. A dinghy motor is more of a luxury than a necessity for some people. Anyway, it would be good to hear some real-world experience with these things, good or bad.

I can't help but notice that the labels on the motor use the same styling and color scheme as my Mercury outboard, right down to the rectangular "this side up" sticker near the tiller. Not a good sign.
Old 10-10-2021, 08:02   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
dinghy motor is more of a luxury than a necessity for some people.
True, that's the reason I thought a cheap engine might be good for a dingy, if the engine breaks just paddle. Something that need not be relied on.

Supposedly, because their engines are such close copies the engines can take parts from other manufacturers they copy from. If so, that is quite an advantage. The 3.6 is $225. In general Chinese made is getting better, maybe these engines also? Lot of "ifs."
Old 10-10-2021, 08:49   #8

Boat: Lazy Jack 32

Here's what a reviewer on Amazon said (He paid $305):
Update.....after using it a few time...I'm taking maybe three times with a run time total around 45minutes....the lower unit is leaking the oil out.....gas lines have came apart.....where the motor mounts to the transom is coming apart and is broke...it's a shame because this is the second one I bought...the first one was good and had no problems...this one however is junk..I've put in a request to return it and get a refund.....update. After going back and forth with the dealership..on the motor all they plan on getting me in a cover for the gear box...this does not solve the problem with the broken part in pic two...it's like they don't care or are avoiding the issue..never will I ever buy or recommend this motor...I never used a take full of gas in it and it's falling apart...buyer beware.
Old 10-10-2021, 08:53   #9

The reviews are pretty mixed.

https://www.amazon.com/product-revie...pe=all_reviews
Old 10-10-2021, 08:56   #10

Boat: Lazy Jack 32

Pay yer money and take yer chance.
Old 10-10-2021, 08:57   #11

Boat: Gulfstar 37

The big problem with these motors is you will not be able to get parts for them. If you want to save money, find a used Tohatsu - parts are easily available all over the world and you can even order replacement parts from Amazon.
Old 10-10-2021, 09:21   #12

Boat: 1989 Morgan-44CP

It is just more Chinese junk!!
Old 10-10-2021, 09:35   #13

Boat: Leopard 45

I'm surprised at the increasing quality control on items coming out of China. Many items like this outboard have mixed reviews but will continue to get more stars as they improve quality. I would wait awhile to buy one and make sure there is a good return policy.
Old 10-10-2021, 09:42   #14

You know for $250 it is not built like an engine selling for $900. I bought one of these about 2 years ago when they were selling for $200. Flimsy and light. My recommendation. I started it when I got it, a pain in the kiester, finally got it started, ran very ragged in my test tank. Went in and YouTubed the engine, there are many mods, I did them all. Then I would go out and start it, run it for 30-40 minutes. After I had about 20 hours of doing this over a months time, it was finally starting on first or second pull, even with not running it for a week or two. I now probably have around around 100+ hours on it. It still looks new. No rust or corrosion, but I do rinse it off with fresh water every time I get back to the house. I also shoot it down with Corrosion X about every 4-5 months.
I bought it for a little inflatable I use on a 26'SB, just got tired of rowing and being 75, just do not like lifting heavier engines. Wanted something superlight like the old Aquabugs (20lbs) these are the closest to them made today. I am retired and don't mind screwing with the little engine, if time was valuable, I might have a different mind set. With doing the mods, proper break in, over abundance of routine maintenance , mine runs excellent, and I have not had to replace one part. I am pleased. If you think you can buy it, run it and do no maintenance, save your money, it won't last a week.
Hope this helped you decide. Capt. Vince Rakstis, Ret.MS
Old 10-10-2021, 10:40   #15

You get what you pay for Opie!
Closed Thread

Tags
engine