Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-10-2022, 10:02   #1

Thumbs down Encouraging live aboards

I was quite displeased to find a pair of popular YouTube channels (Gone with the Wynns / Nautistyles) collaborating on a video that encourages the idea of “Live on a boat… it’s cheaper than ashore”. While their example was a million dollar used yacht, the overall impact of their statements apply at all levels. In my humble opinion, this is a horrible message they are sending. We have enough issues with people trying to move onto boats as a way of living cheaply. Both coasts are seeing more and more anchoring grounds being restricted as jurisdictions try to keep out the derelict liveaboards. I’m not against a boater living aboard. I AM against encouraging complete non-boaters to go move onto a boat because it’s cheaper than ashore!

I’ve enjoyed many of The Wynns videos in the past due to their interesting travels, and excellent videography, but this one kind of set us off as we watched last night.

Here’s a link. If you bother to watch, I hope you’ll comment on the stupidity of this video. I didn’t bother watching the Nautistyle video as I have never like their channel.

https://youtu.be/qtu7IPvfWWs
Phyrcooler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2022, 10:09   #2

Re: Encouraging live aboards

While I kind of agree with your general sentiment, if you spend your days worrying about every stupid or inappropriate set of ideas posted on YouTube, you'll find your life will become rather unpleasant.
ItDepends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2022, 10:09   #3
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

No yacht is cheaper then a house !
Old 24-10-2022, 10:17   #4

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415

Here in Key West it is way cheaper to live on a boat vs living on land even paying for a city mooring. A large portion of the hospitality industry does it. some because they like the lifestyle others as a temp solution to save up money and move on to other things.
Old 24-10-2022, 10:33   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItDepends View Post
While I kind of agree with your general sentiment, if you spend your days worrying about every stupid or inappropriate set of ideas posted on YouTube, you'll find your life will become rather unpleasant.
Ha… if I lived my life that way, I couldn’t participate on this forum either!

Not at all. But occasionally when something crosses my path that is such a disservice, or threatens my lifestyle, I tend to be a bit outspoken. These two channels have 3/4 of a MILLION subscribers, with this one video already being viewed 100,000 times as of this morning (in less than 24 hours). Kind of makes me want to speak up. Too many boaters bemoan the changes to our lifestyle, and the removal of more and more of our abilities to anchor out - but never speak up.

Howling into the wind as it were… some of us still try.
Old 24-10-2022, 10:36   #6

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post

It is if you get it for free (or nearly so), don't maintain it, and abandon it after it is no longer useful.

The real problem is the supply of cheap, marginally seaworthy boats, many coming from estates or sold by marinas where the boats have been abandoned. The solution is to provide straightforward, inexpensive means for disposal, or (as has been done in some states) prohibiting the transfer of large vessels without a survey and insurance.

A reality to consider is that in most areas there are no "boat disposal services." An executor of an estate that includes a worthless boat and wants to dispose of it has to arrange everything. Find someone to remove fuel and hazardous materials and anything else that the dump won't accept. Find a marina that will allow the boat to be broken up. Hire a towing company to move the boat. Hire a backhoe and a dumpster. Not only is all that expensive, it requires project management and is beyond the capabilities of most estate executors. So the boats get sold for $20 and a carton of cigarettes even though the executor knows what the outcome will be and doesn't like it.
Old 24-10-2022, 11:06   #7

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058

I stopped watching the Wynn's a couple of years ago. Too commercial and also dropped other channels who sold out to fanciness and sponsorships.

As others alluded too the problem is that there are too many crap boats being acquired and people living on them who can barely spell BOAT. Boats on the water should be seaworthy and be subject to annual inspections including the ability to move them.
Old 25-10-2022, 13:39   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 51

[QUOTE= and be subject to annual inspections including the ability to move them.[/QUOTE]

while i agree with the general idea about derilict boats etc i have absolutely ZERO desire to have another gov't inspection in my life-- we have far more important things to spend tax dollars on than this kind of crap. i just dont feel like i need yet another reason to have government intrusion into my life.
did not mean to come across quite that harsh but i think the inspection idea is a knee jerk reaction to what is in the grand scheme of things a really small problem.
Madehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2022, 17:24   #9

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madehn View Post
knee jerk reaction to what is in the grand scheme of things a really small problem.

That depends where you are.

The recent anti-cruising legislation in Georgia and Florida is a far more burdensome reaction to what, in those places, is a very real, substantial, and serious problem.
Old 25-10-2022, 18:49   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
That depends where you are.

The recent anti-cruising legislation in Georgia and Florida is a far more burdensome reaction to what, in those places, is a very real, substantial, and serious problem.
California as well. Very real issue. Which is probably why their video hit a nerve with me. Since most of the “cruisers” on this forum claim to not watch YouTube sailors ( ), as of today, their video’s 140,825 views is guaranteed to have sparked more than a handful of “hmmm… that’s a GREAT idea! BABE… we’re MOVING!” within more than just a couple neophytes.
Old 25-10-2022, 19:19   #11

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

I am aware of this. Why? Because this made the national news. It was in my feed on Google. Not good.

Those dopes are clearly putting profit ahead of the greater good in the boating community. People should boycott them.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2022, 19:24   #12

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 43 Mk I

Quote:
These two channels have 3/4 of a MILLION subscribers
YouTube has over 120 Million daily active users.

Quote:
with this one video already being viewed 100,000 times as of this morning (in less than 24 hours)
who watch 1 Billion hours of content every hour
BaccaSean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2022, 20:30   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
I am aware of this. Why? Because this made the national news. It was in my feed on Google. Not good.

Those dopes are clearly putting profit ahead of the greater good in the boating community. People should boycott them.
Not good at all.

I get it. This is their job. And I’m willing to watch if they’re creating interesting videos. But I would think as committed cruisers as Jason and Niki are, they would use a little common sense before putting something like this out. The channel they collaborated with is mostly just “fluff” and I don’t watch them. Regardless, they too have a lot of viewers to “influence”.
Old 25-10-2022, 21:33   #14

Boat: Rafiki 37

My life on my boat is waaaay cheaper than life on land. It’s not even close.
Old 25-10-2022, 22:38   #15

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
The average house price where I live is now $1,200,000

My boat cost around 1/40th of that

Tags
enc, Live aboard