Cruisers Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2021, 18:05   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Kennebunk ME
Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.
Posts: 608
Feds Seek Info on Manatee Crime

The U. S. Fish and Wildlife Service is seeking any information on the person responsible for carving TRUMP on the back of a manatee spotted near Blue Hole Spring in the Homosassa River.
Federal Law provides for financial rewards in such cases. Additional rewards will soon follow from other groups.
A $5,000 reward is also posted by The Center for Biological Diversity. Org
Please contact the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service Office in Jacksonville.
Or Save The Manatee in Maitland FL.
Please be assured your confidentiality will be respected by them.
The perpetrators of this crime will be pursued by Federal Authorities and brought to Federal Court for this truly despicable act.
Yet another sad day in our nation.
Captain Mark and his outraged manatee crew.
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 18:41   #2
Registered User
 
japawil's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Southern CA
Boat: Alajuela 33
Posts: 88
Re: Feds Seek Info on Manatee Crime

Manateeman,
I came across this story in the news and immediately thought of you and your “sign offs”.
I sincerely hope they find the responsible party and prosecute them to the fullest extent of the law. It takes a seriously deranged person to perpetrate such an act.
japawil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 22:06   #3
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Florida
Posts: 752
Re: Feds Seek Info on Manatee Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by japawil View Post
Manateeman,
I came across this story in the news and immediately thought of you and your “sign offs”.
I sincerely hope they find the responsible party and prosecute them to the fullest extent of the law. It takes a seriously deranged person to perpetrate such an act.
As someone who has gotten into fights with people who
leave their dogs in the car on hot summer days
and who 45 years ago had the experience of swimming with many
Manatee during a college bio field trip,
Prosecution to the fullest extent of the law is not enough
I say, cut their balls off
Sorry but I just cant stomach cretins that are cruel to animals.
Neil
Time2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 22:49   #4
Moderator
 
Dockhead's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Posts: 30,086
Re: Feds Seek Info on Manatee Crime

I agree that it is despicable to molest manatees (or any other wild animals), and that the perps here should be prosecuted.

HOWEVER, it does not seem in this case that the word was actually "carved" into the animal's skin, or that the manatee was actually harmed. It looks like just algae was scraped off. See here: https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article...-florida-crime
__________________
"Parce que je suis heureux en mer, et peut-être pour sauver mon ame. . . "
Dockhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 23:40   #5
Moderator
 
Jim Cate's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: cruising SW Pacific
Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Posts: 17,575
Re: Feds Seek Info on Manatee Crime

^^^^

Aww, DH, there you go again, messing up a really good story with observed facts...

Jim
__________________
Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II, lying Port Cygnet once again.
Jim Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 00:55   #6
Registered User
 
japawil's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Southern CA
Boat: Alajuela 33
Posts: 88
Re: Feds Seek Info on Manatee Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
I agree that it is despicable to molest manatees (or any other wild animals), and that the perps here should be prosecuted.

HOWEVER, it does not seem in this case that the word was actually "carved" into the animal's skin, or that the manatee was actually harmed. It looks like just algae was scraped off. See here: https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article...-florida-crime


I believe the article I saw said “scratched” into it’s back.
Regardless be it “carved”, “scratched”, or “scraped”; still unacceptable.

I stand by the assessment that the person or persons are deranged and deserving of prosecution to the full extent of the law.
japawil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 01:19   #7
Moderator
 
Dockhead's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Posts: 30,086
Re: Feds Seek Info on Manatee Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by japawil View Post
I believe the article I saw said “scratched” into it’s back.
Regardless be it “carved”, “scratched”, or “scraped”; still unacceptable.

I stand by the assessment that the person or persons are deranged and deserving of prosecution to the full extent of the law.
I agree completely.

Just trying to make the discourse more factual.
__________________
"Parce que je suis heureux en mer, et peut-être pour sauver mon ame. . . "
Dockhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 01:32   #8
Moderator
 
Dockhead's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Posts: 30,086
Re: Feds Seek Info on Manatee Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
^^^^

Aww, DH, there you go again, messing up a really good story with observed facts...

Jim

Ha, ha. Well, it's still a shocking story, even with the correct facts. Thanks to Manateeman for posting about it.
__________________
"Parce que je suis heureux en mer, et peut-être pour sauver mon ame. . . "
Dockhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 02:40   #9
Registered User
 
HeinSdL's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Switzerland
Boat: X-Yachts X442
Posts: 315
Re: Feds Seek Info on Manatee Crime

Yeap, funny how a forum like this sits quietly in the back of the mind. With some bemusement I followed the manatee sign offs on here but then as a result was also immediately reminded of same when I read that news article. Outrage quickly followed by "must post something on CF".

As a species on this planet we should be thoroughly ashamed of ourselves. We have now come to a point where I would not be able to say anymore which problem to tackle first: the widespread cruelty to animals everywhere, the layer of plastic now covering the entire globe, the levels of CO2 in the atmosphere, the complete expropriation of other species' habitats, the proliferation of nuclear weapons... and that does not even include the misery we are imposing on our own kind!
HeinSdL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 03:46   #10
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Currently St. Petersburg Florida
Boat: Atkin Benbow Cutter 35'
Posts: 249
Re: Feds Seek Info on Manatee Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeinSdL View Post
As a species on this planet we should be thoroughly ashamed of ourselves. We have now come to a point where I would not be able to say anymore which problem to tackle first: the widespread cruelty to animals everywhere, the layer of plastic now covering the entire globe, the levels of CO2 in the atmosphere, the complete expropriation of other species' habitats, the proliferation of nuclear weapons... and that does not even include the misery we are imposing on our own kind!

The only part I find truly depressing about our current situation is how many humans are still in complete denial of our impact. It makes remediation and finding balance on earth very difficult since their is not a real cohesive agreement.

This is a lot of coverage for a singular act of cruelty (although not denying its worth!), anyone seen the mass extermination of pig videos due to covid in the US? They steam them alive by the thousands.
__________________
To really live you must realize your limits do not exist.
BenBowSirocco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 05:24   #11
Senior Cruiser
 
GordMay's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario - 48-29N x 89-20W
Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Posts: 40,422
Images: 241
Re: Feds Seek Info on Manatee Crime

Oddly, although widely reported* in the media, I cannot find any ‘official’ mention of the story on (either) the USFWS (Federal) nor FWS (Florida) news sites.
US ➥ https://www.fws.gov/news/
Fla ➥ https://myfwc.com/news/

* As originating from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.

The Center for Biological Diversity said it was offering a $5,000 reward for information leading to the conviction of the person, or people, responsible.
https://biologicaldiversity.org/w/ne...ck-2021-01-11/

According to the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission, Manatees are also protected under the Marine Mammal Protection Act of 1972, the Endangered Species Act of 1973, and the Florida Manatee Sanctuary Act of 1978. It is illegal to feed, harass, harm, pursue, hunt, shoot, wound, kill, annoy, or molest manatees, and harassment of the species is a Class A federal criminal offense, that is punishable by a $50,000 fine, and up to one year in prison.

If you have information on the person(s) who committed this federal crime please call the
Wildlife Alert Hotline: 888-404-3922

Videohttps://twitter.com/i/status/1348745936499982339
__________________
Gord May
"If you didn't have the time or money to do it right in the first place, when will you get the time/$ to fix it?"



GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 06:15   #12
Registered User
 
AA3JY's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Kimberton,Pa.
Boat: Cabo Rico 34
Posts: 645
Re: Feds Seek Info on Manatee Crime

Unfortunately these animals are killed/maimed by props of boats failing to slow down in known areas where these slow moving animals exist..

https://www.thedodo.com/boats-injure...368810374.html
AA3JY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 09:26   #13
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 30
Re: Feds Seek Info on Manatee Crime

I agree, leave the animal kingdom out of it. Although I would suggest burning and looting should take a higher priority. Since the manatee was obviously not harmed, (algae scraped not carved)maybe they should spend more time on these idiots who think a manatee zone means keep it under 40 kph! But I suppose since they have no consideration for their fellow humans why be concerned about their fellow mammals.
bjp447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 09:43   #14
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 30
Re: Feds Seek Info on Manatee Crime

This might actually lead to fewer future manatee collisions as those careless power boaters slow down in the hopes of spotting the famous name.
thannever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 09:44   #15
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 58
Re: Feds Seek Info on Manatee Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjp447 View Post
I agree, leave the animal kingdom out of it. Although I would suggest burning and looting should take a higher priority. Since the manatee was obviously not harmed, (algae scraped not carved)maybe they should spend more time on these idiots who think a manatee zone means keep it under 40 kph! But I suppose since they have no consideration for their fellow humans why be concerned about their fellow mammals.
I would agree. The media is making this sound like they cut it into the skin. Do not get me wrong, whoever did this should face the FULL force of the law. The media is trying to sensationalize this into something larger than it is and the people who have a hatred for the President are all too willing to jump on board.
TravelinLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Manatee Moves janice142 Liveaboard's Forum 0 18-04-2014 10:49
Manatee pocket anchoring -Stuart Fl Horror Hotel Rules of the Road, Regulations & Red Tape 2 10-12-2013 04:46
Krogan Manatee Bumper Powered Boats 4 04-05-2012 00:55
Manatee Bay Marina, Key Largo, FL katkandu Marinas 0 04-03-2011 09:00

Advertise Here


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:28.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.