Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2024, 19:02   #1
EME

Boat naming ideas

Hi all, looking for some suggestions for a boat name. Ideally, we'd love to name after our 3 little kids (2 boys and 1 girl) if it helps. Something sweet and unique. Thanks so much!
EME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2024, 19:06   #2

Boat: Lightwave 38' Catamaran - now sold
Re: Boat naming ideas

First, make it easy to spell, as when you have to communicate with coast guard/marine rescue/marinas, a name that is impossible to spell will soon get you and them frustrated.

Also make it as unique as you can. Today I was on volunteer Marine Rescue NSW radio duty, one boat, was called Nautical. Do you know how many boats have that or similar name? Too many.

My old sailing cat name as below was made up. Combination of Calypso and Cat, unique as far as I could see by a Google search. Also represented our ideas (scuba diving = Cousteau = Calypso).

Hope this helps.
clownfishsydney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2024, 19:20   #3
EME

Quote:
Originally Posted by clownfishsydney View Post
First, make it easy to spell, as when you have to communicate with coast guard/marine rescue/marinas, a name that is impossible to spell will soon get you and them frustrated.

Also make it as unique as you can. Today I was on volunteer Marine Rescue NSW radio duty, one boat, was called Nautical. Do you know how many boats have that or similar name? Too many.

My old sailing cat name as below was made up. Combination of Calypso and Cat, unique as far as I could see by a Google search. Also represented our ideas (scuba diving = Cousteau = Calypso).

Hope this helps.
Yes deff, we want something simple yet unique that you don't see too often. I'm thinking "3 Little ......" but can't think of additional name.
EME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2024, 19:33   #4

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 35.1

The name should not be a version of:

Knot
Nautical
Sea
Sail
….
Old 10-03-2024, 19:33   #5

Boat: Sabre 402

"Three Little Kittens" would avoid the problem of who gets top billing. You could paint mittens on the transom, or name the dinghy Mittens. It's better than Three Blind Mice, and goes with the cat theme, if the boat is a catamaran.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2024, 22:00   #6

Boat: Volkscruiser

EME how about Three little pigs. That's a great yarn, and maybe three cartoon pigs under the name.
We asked our two kids for a name suggestion each and then we all put a name each in a hat. That's how we ended up with the name Ninky Nonk for our yacht. That's how we ended up named after the Night Garden train.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2024, 22:10   #7

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Friends of ours named their boat Anwagomi.

Children: Andrea and Wayne

Parents: Gordon and Miriam.

Didn't have any problems with it. Sailed it from California to Australia and shipped it back home, after the kids grew up. Did a whole lot of sailing in the Golfo de California--the Sea of Cortez.

If you give us your names, we can have a think about it, and see what comes up. Also, mono or multi and do you want the hull type included in the name?

Ann

PS. I did look in your profile here, but no clues there.
Old 10-03-2024, 22:18   #8
Wanderer

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Used to be San Francisco Bay, now PNW, soon to be the Caribbean
Boat: Jeanneau 43 DS and soon Leopard 45

Try ChatGPT and ask some boat name recommendations given your thinking and constraints, it actually does wonders to give you inspiration!

I tried for you without knowing the names of your children and here is what the more advanced ChatGPT version 4 gave:

You
Looking for some suggestions for a boat name. Ideally, we'd love to name after our 3 little kids (2 boys and 1 girl) if it helps. Something sweet and unique.

ChatGPT
Naming your boat in honor of your three children is a wonderful idea! Here are some creative suggestions that blend sweetness and uniqueness, considering you have two boys and one girl:

TriStar Haven: Combining the idea of three (Tri) with a celestial touch (Star), symbolizing your children as the shining stars in your life. "Haven" suggests safety and love, much like the embrace of family.

Trio's Treasure: Emphasizing the preciousness of your three kids, this name reflects the idea that they are your most valued treasures.

Siblings’ Serenity: This name captures the peaceful joy and calm waters you feel with your children, highlighting the sibling bond.

Nautical Nuggets: A playful and affectionate nod to your little ones being precious gems in your life, combined with a maritime theme.

Threefold Bliss: This name signifies the immense joy and happiness that your three children bring to your life, encapsulated in the boat that might bring many joyful moments.

Celestial Sailors: Drawing inspiration from the sky and stars, this name suggests your children are like little navigators guiding the journey of your family’s adventures.

Joyous Journeymates: A heartwarming name that celebrates the shared adventures and delightful voyages you look forward to with your children.

Whimsical Waves: Capturing the playful and imaginative spirit of your kids, this name also resonates with the essence of the sea.

Harbor of Harmony: Reflecting a safe haven filled with love and unity, much like the family bond shared with your children.

Sailor’s Symphony: A poetic tribute to the beautiful harmony and rhythm your children bring to your life, much like a symphony of happiness and love.

Each of these names is designed to reflect the joy, unity, and adventure your family shares, with a nod to the special place your children hold in your heart. You can also consider blending their names or initials into the boat name for a more personalized touch.

You
Recommend single word names

ChatGPT
Absolutely! Here are some single-word names inspired by the idea of incorporating something meaningful for your three children:

Triunity - Reflecting the unity of your three children.

Triverse - Combining "three" and "universe" to signify their combined worlds.

Tritide - Inspired by the ocean's tides and the trio of your kids.

Trijoy - Signifying the triple joy your children bring.

Thrial - A unique blend of "three" and "vial," symbolizing something precious carried within.

Trilight - Reflecting three lights or sources of joy and guidance.

Trelyn - A made-up word that sounds modern and unique, hinting at treasure and lineage.

Trivoy - A blend of "trio" and "voyage," representing the journey you share.

Thrivee - Playing on the word "thrive," with an added 'e' to signify three thriving spirits.

Triquill - Combining "trio" and "tranquillity," reflecting peace and calmness.

Each name is designed to be unique and meaningful, capturing the essence of your family's bond and the special place your children hold in your heart.
Old 10-03-2024, 23:50   #9

I’m a baseball fan..

I like “Triple Play”.

Thanks for allowing me the opportunity to help with such a monumental decision.

~True
TrueBeginner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2024, 00:44   #10

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Threedom
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2024, 04:14   #11

Boat: Koopmans design, Hutting 40; 39 feet

Hello there,

Maybe call the boat "Trinity", unless the slightly religious connotation disturbs you.
My boat is called "Servus" which in latin means "slave" but also is the root for various salutations in Italian (ciao) and is still used in Austria, Hungary, southern Germany, is understood in Croatia etc. as a greeting word, coming or going. It also has some family intern history.

I think a boats name should be:
-easily understandable and spellable (radio coms),
-always positive and never offensive,
-not too long (radiocoms under bad conditions)
-not have a double meaning or some tongue in cheek (someone might take exception) - I am not one of the easily offended types.
-possibly related to the owner
-maybe personal and original (your nickname as child ...)
-original without being clownish

I personally think, that the combination of initials mostly mean nothing to the others and sometimes lead to weird letterconstructions.

I hear, that boats should not be renamed, if theere is anything in it, but with liberal libations the gods can be appeased if one does well rename your love.
But who wants to be called a superficially meaningless combinations of letters?

My 2p
servus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2024, 05:40   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

Saw a boat named after the owner's children, six of them, so he used the first 3 letters of each name
"Rendervillehubhanjee"....
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2024, 06:19   #13

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Personally, I want a single-word boat name that is easy to pronounce and spell above all else. I don't want to spending every day on the radio spelling it out and then finding that absolutely nobody spells it correctly on forms etc. anyway. Clever names are like today's fashions--they will be cringe tomorrow.
Old 11-03-2024, 07:04   #14
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

used to have a neighbor...."4Play"
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2024, 07:26   #15

How about something that is descriptive of your children, such as Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious:

adjective, per one dictionary.

Extraordinarily good, wonderful

Would require a rather large transom. And Customs and Border Patrol would likely roll their eyes when having to write that down during their clearance procedures.

And of course, everyone would have fun requesting you to respell it over the radio.

Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious is actually a compound word that roughly translates to "Atoning for educatability through delicate beauty".

Be sure to sing it! Don't just state it.

"The biggest word you ever heard, and this is how it goes:

Oh, supercalifragilisticexpialidocious!
Even though the sound of it is something quite atrocious
If you say it loud enough you'll always sound precocious
Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious!

Um diddle diddle diddle, um diddle ay!

You know you can say it backwards which is "dociousaliexpilisticfragicalirupus"... but that's going a bit too far, don't you think?
Indubitably!"
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat