Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-06-2019, 08:43   #16

Re: Can I be poisoned scrubbing my boat's bottom?

Years ago a friend of mine died from diving on his boat in a marina in the Med. Then there were no laws on holding tanks and toilets discharged into the marina. He caught a bug from that and died. Best to clean your boats bottom well away from other yachts in the anchorage.
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2019, 08:44   #17

Boat: 42ft Moody Ketch

Could even be Sun Stroke (More than likley) , Your first though is rather funny , sorry but it was so far fetched it made me chuckle ,
to hypothesis on this forum is also rather funny without taking a temp reading , and truly seeeing how ill you were , The doom Mongers are out with ever more fantastical diseases , you all made me chukle even more
it could have been something you have eaten , 48 hours ago , or longer in some cases ,it might have been the water , but so far fetched, as dispersion and Water solubility with currents would mean you were drinking the stuff and why would you
As your getting better was not that bad plenty of fluids stay out of the Sun , and the Water unless you put a hat on.
tarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2019, 09:15   #18

Boat: Pearson 530

When I get a mouthful of bilge water I’ve made it a habit to rinse it out with mouthwash, peroxide, or rum. Sometimes I repeat if it tasted particularly foul or I need more rum.
Old 17-06-2019, 09:29   #19

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Reminded me of the delivery I was on to Hong Kong. After we got in, another kid who was crew jumped in to inspect the rudder. The officials on the dock were apoplectic, "get outta that water!" Fortunately he didn't get sick though, perhaps his penchant for rum helped. I sure wouldn't put it to the test though.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2019, 09:36   #20

Boat: 42ft Moody Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Reminded me of the delivery I was on to Hong Kong. After we got in, another kid who was crew jumped in to inspect the rudder. The officials on the dock were apoplectic, "get outta that water!" Fortunately he didn't get sick though, perhaps his penchant for rum helped. I sure wouldn't put it to the test though.
Thats what 10 million Chinese will do to a harbour with all their sewage , rather diffrent to the OP in a mooring in crystal clear waters
tarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2019, 12:03   #21

Boat: CheoyLee Offshore 33
Send a message via Skype™ to masonc

Quote:
Originally Posted by polaris2.11 View Post
Thanks all. Feeling a touch better already.

Gotta say tho, I am a bit apalled that anyone would discharge waste in an anchorage. Guess it happens...
What else would you like people anchored in the Caribbean to do?
masonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2019, 13:36   #22

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biofouling

Quote:
The variety among biofouling organisms is highly diverse, and extends far beyond the attachment of barnacles and seaweeds. According to some estimates, over 1,700 species comprising over 4,000 organisms are responsible for biofouling.[7] Biofouling is divided into microfouling — biofilm formation and bacterial adhesion — and macrofouling — attachment of larger organisms. Due to the distinct chemistry and biology that determine what prevents them from settling, organisms are also classified as hard- or soft-fouling types. Calcareous (hard) fouling organisms include barnacles, encrusting bryozoans, mollusks, polychaete and other tube worms, and zebra mussels. Examples of non-calcareous (soft) fouling organisms are seaweed, hydroids, algae and biofilm "slime".[8] Together, these organisms form a fouling community.

Marine fouling is typically described as following four stages of ecosystem development. The chemistry of biofilm formation describes the initial steps prior to colonization. Within the first minute the van der Waals interaction causes the submerged surface to be covered with a conditioning film of organic polymers. In the next 24 hours, this layer allows the process of bacterial adhesion to occur, with both diatoms and bacteria (e.g. vibrio alginolyticus, pseudomonas putrefaciens) attaching, initiating the formation of a biofilm. By the end of the first week, the rich nutrients and ease of attachment into the biofilm allow secondary colonizers of spores of macroalgae (e.g. enteromorpha intestinalis, ulothrix) and protozoans (e.g. vorticella, Zoothamnium sp.) to attach themselves. Within 2 to 3 weeks, the tertiary colonizers- the macrofoulers- have attached. These include tunicates, mollusks and sessile Cnidarians.[9]
The OP was “CAN I be poisoned scrubbing my boats bottom?”

Scrub it off and suck it up
Puddleduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2019, 13:43   #23

Boat: C&C Landfall 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by polaris2.11 View Post
Thanks Thin. Good to know. Obviously, my snorkel was filling with debris laden water on every dive. Perhaps an argument for a hookah?
For boat bottom work I never use a snorkel......for the reason you just pointed out......
nwdiver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2019, 13:53   #24

Boat: Colegate 26

Honestly, my money would be food poisoning from local grocery store. They let stuff sit on the shelf a long time. Always check the expiration dates before purchasing.
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2019, 14:00   #25

I'd guess food poisoning.

It happens.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2019, 14:04   #26

Boat: Custom Build on Morgan West Indies 33 Hull

Feeling much better today. Quite a purge tho...
Old 17-06-2019, 14:07   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonc View Post
Hold tgeir waste until they are in open water and no one around. That is what we do.
polaris2.11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2019, 14:10   #28
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonc View Post

Seriously?

Do what people do in many civilized countries do when there is no pump-out; go out a few miles and dump where the tide will flush. Why would you dump where people are likely to be in the water? That's just... selfish.
Old 17-06-2019, 14:13   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudMusic View Post
Honestly, my money would be food poisoning from local grocery store. They let stuff sit on the shelf a long time. Always check the expiration dates before purchasing.
My partner ate the same as I did. Not sick.
Old 17-06-2019, 14:44   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewie View Post
Years ago a friend of mine died from diving on his boat in a marina in the Med. Then there were no laws on holding tanks and toilets discharged into the marina. He caught a bug from that and died. Best to clean your boats bottom well away from other yachts in the anchorage.
Boy do I ever agree with that!

Tags
boat