Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-06-2019, 14:47   #31

Boat: Custom Build on Morgan West Indies 33 Hull
Re: Can I be poisoned scrubbing my boat's bottom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
Seriously?

Do what people do in many civilized countries do when there is no pump-out; go out a few miles and dump where the tide will flush. Why would you dump where people are likely to be in the water? That's just... selfish.
My feeling too. ...but charters may not have the option if the boat is set only for overboard discharge. This is my fear/hypothesis.
polaris2.11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2019, 14:56   #32

Boat: CheoyLee Offshore 33
Send a message via Skype™ to masonc

Quote:
Originally Posted by polaris2.11 View Post
My feeling too. ...but charters may not have the option if the boat is set only for overboard discharge. This is my fear/hypothesis.
Definitely the better thing to do, but my point is that pump out is not generally available.
masonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2019, 15:14   #33
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by polaris2.11 View Post

How common is that?

Many/most of the charter boats are planning to re-sell in the US. All of the ex-charter boats I've been on came with holding tanks... although whether they were used is a dubious proposition at best.

If you charter, try to do the right thing. Pump out when you are moving, not at anchor because you didn't think about it underway.
Old 17-06-2019, 15:15   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonc View Post
Definitely the better thing to do, but my point is that pump out is not generally available.

You don't NEED a pump out, you need to remember to pump out when you are sailing. All you need is a holding tank.
Old 17-06-2019, 15:17   #35

Quote:

True there are few pumpouts, but is it not usually possible to hold waste until in open areas well away from other boats? Just asking. I do not know the answer. We have not experienced any real inconvenience doing just that.
Old 17-06-2019, 15:30   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Can I be poisoned scrubbing my boat's bottom?

I have to think that there are a lot of boats that can’t pump themselves out, it’s either direct discharge, or into the tank, and the only way to empty the tank is through the deck fitting.
Mine was that way, I added a macerator pump when I had a new tank made.

Besides, I don’t believe I ever saw a boat leave to go pump out, they all stayed put, many until they had pretty heavy growth on the anchor chain
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2019, 16:06   #37

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres

Have you eaten any fish lately? Could be Ciguatera--
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2019, 16:11   #38

Boat: Brewer Pilothouse 40'

I just learned the hard way that barnacle illness is a real thing. They apparently emit some type of defensive toxin when you mess with ‘em. I was power washing the bottom.... not the same circumstances but possibly same culprit. I was terrible sick immediately and thought it was heat stroke. A salty seasoned senior pointed out laughingly. Those barnacles are kicking yer ass.
Lemonade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2019, 16:34   #39
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

First off I'm not a medical person or a chemist but doubt copper has anything to do with it. Worked for some years building & repairing timber treatment plants that used copper, chrome & arsenic in their solutions. The rusty insides of the vessels were tinged green from the copper & we had to grind them etc. I always wore breathing protection but some of my fellow workers did not & never seemed to suffer from those symptoms.
Not saying I recommend working on timber treatment plants, quite the opposite.lol.
Do lots of hull cleaning with a snorkel & the only problems I get are bites & stings from little creatures & anenoemes hiding in heavy fouling. Learnt to always wear a wetsuit
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2019, 17:09   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I have to think that there are a lot of boats that can’t pump themselves out, it’s either direct discharge, or into the tank, and the only way to empty the tank is through the deck fitting.
Mine was that way, I added a macerator pump when I had a new tank made.

Besides, I don’t believe I ever saw a boat leave to go pump out, they all stayed put, many until they had pretty heavy growth on the anchor chain
That is what I was atraid of. Geesh. Never suspected. Seems a nutty way to do things.
Old 17-06-2019, 17:18   #41

Boat: Pescott,Whitehaven, 11.7m

Something that is essential in my medicine bag is a 25ml dropper bottle containing Bee Propolis tincture.
Two drops in water and drink .
Natural anti bug .
Bees are pretty smart .
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2019, 10:39   #42

Hola. From my experience your symptoms may be from the combination of salt water ingestion and the stress of diving. Lose the snorkel you will swallow less water. They’re not for diving they’re for snorkeling. It helps to keep the critters and toxins off if you start up current and wear something to protect your skin from contact with the paint.
keyway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2019, 10:56   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyway View Post
Hola. From my experience your symptoms may be from the combination of salt water ingestion and the stress of diving. Lose the snorkel you will swallow less water. They’re not for diving they’re for snorkeling. It helps to keep the critters and toxins off if you start up current and wear something to protect your skin from contact with the paint.

Excellent points, particularly the up-current part, which nearly always means starting at the front.

Even in very warm water, I wear a stretch balaclava; keep the critters out of my hair and ears. Also dive boots (I like to hook a foot under the keel or rudder) and work gloves. No snorkel and take your time.
Old 19-06-2019, 14:09   #44
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

If you've got the runs, from whatever cause, instead of fresh water you would be better off drinking Pedialyte or Gatorade (electrolytes plus varying amounts of sugar) or just making the the standard UN rehydration mix (formula online) which is basically salt, potassium salt, citric acid, things that can all be found in supermarkets for pocket change. There are a variety of products that Propel "Fitness water" that are electrolytes without any sugar, but for the cost of one bottle, you can make and carry enough of the hydration powder to bath in it.

That stops you from being dehydrated, where regular water will just be mainly excreted.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2019, 14:30   #45

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Quote:
What else would you like people anchored in the Caribbean to do?
Probably hold it tanks then discharge it offshore like in most countries. I suppose the lack of tide and proper currents doesn't help. Though an offshore breeze might.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat