Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-01-2015, 10:16   #31

Re: Anybody Know About Sailing to Cuba from Key West?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMike View Post
I have always found it a good idea to avoid breaking the law of any foreign country I happen to be in.
Can we go back to talking about sailing now?
I think so. You sound like exactly the kind of tourist they are looking for.
Old 18-01-2015, 10:35   #32

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

Hey the government knows about every phone call you make, where you go in your car, where you filled it with gas, what supermarket you went to, what you bought there, and what you looked like when you bought it.
Also every post to a forum, every email sent. They might not know what you said to your neighbor, but then they might know that too.
1984 is here already, most people just didn't notice. Pretty soon you can't buy anything without them knowing too when cash it no longer allowed.
Old 18-01-2015, 11:10   #33
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
I think so. You sound like exactly the kind of tourist they are looking for.
You mean the kind of tourist that doesn't want to get locked up in a third world dungeon? I would surmise that 99.99% of the forum members would fall into that category, however if you feel otherwise feel free to give it a try and let us know how it goes.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 18-01-2015, 19:43   #34

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

The PURPOSE of this action by the Obama administration is to normalize relations. The treasury has set up very specific reasons you can go... just pay attention to the rules, file your plan with the CG before you go and check in when you get back.

Practically no one in DC is fighting this action, so there is no reason to believe that there is some hidden agenda besides that what is already known...its the US wish to turn Cuba democratic and steer them away from Venezuela and China as an ally.

The youngest Castro legacy is 84 I think... not like he is going to last much longer and there is no one to tow the party line after him.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 19-01-2015, 04:15   #35
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
The PURPOSE of this action by the Obama administration is to normalize relations. The treasury has set up very specific reasons you can go... just pay attention to the rules, file your plan with the CG before you go and check in when you get back.

Practically no one in DC is fighting this action, so there is no reason to believe that there is some hidden agenda besides that what is already known...its the US wish to turn Cuba democratic and steer them away from Venezuela and China as an ally.
From all available evidence this certainly appears to be the case. I certainly hope so. It's about time we adopted a more realistic policy towards Cuba. But as I have become a bit more cautious in my old age I'm going to watch how it goes for the adventurous young before committing.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 19-01-2015, 06:40   #36
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:

The youngest Castro legacy is 84 I think... not like he is going to last much longer and there is no one to tow the party line after him.
"No one to tow the party line". Maduro is a good example of what might happen in Cuba after the "leader" is gone ,I belive Maduro is globe trotting around tiring to find some friends in a cold world(Hah ha ha) after his cash cow(oil) has been slaughtered..Putin started his expansion in Ukraine for the same reason, he saw the writing on the wall and had to hedge his position because he knew his time would be short when oil went below 100 a barrel..Since Russia has started patroling the skys world wide again wonder what it will be like for them to call into Havana and ask for clearance to land the war machine. I bet the waters around that area will be crawling with suspense soon..
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 19-01-2015, 16:55   #37

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
From all available evidence this certainly appears to be the case. I certainly hope so. It's about time we adopted a more realistic policy towards Cuba. But as I have become a bit more cautious in my old age I'm going to watch how it goes for the adventurous young before committing.
I hear ya! I never pays to be an early adopter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
"No one to tow the party line". Maduro is a good example of what might happen in Cuba after the "leader" is gone ,I belive Maduro is globe trotting around tiring to find some friends in a cold world(Hah ha ha) after his cash cow(oil) has been slaughtered..Putin started his expansion in Ukraine for the same reason, he saw the writing on the wall and had to hedge his position because he knew his time would be short when oil went below 100 a barrel..Since Russia has started patroling the skys world wide again wonder what it will be like for them to call into Havana and ask for clearance to land the war machine. I bet the waters around that area will be crawling with suspense soon..
I completely agree... this IMO is why are trying so hard to court the Cubans. The caribbean is a disarray of political forces that China has made huge in-roads to... just about all the major infrastructure in the caribbean is funded by China. Soccer and Criket stadiums, roads, electric, telecom, etc.

We cannot afford to lose Cuba when the Castro thing busts loose. In any case, this is a lot like the Berlin wall falling, which is our fascination with it. There are Canadian cruisers here who are free to go and they say they will "never go back now that Americans can go". I understand they might not understand our fascination with that country but the bitterness is a little uncalled for
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 19-01-2015, 17:35   #38
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
I hear ya! I never pays to be an early adopter!

I completely agree... this IMO is why are trying so hard to court the Cubans. The caribbean is a disarray of political forces that China has made huge in-roads to... just about all the major infrastructure in the caribbean is funded by China. Soccer and Criket stadiums, roads, electric, telecom, etc.

We cannot afford to lose Cuba when the Castro thing busts loose. In any case, this is a lot like the Berlin wall falling, which is our fascination with it. There are Canadian cruisers here who are free to go and they say they will "never go back now that Americans can go". I understand they might not understand our fascination with that country but the bitterness is a little uncalled for
China controls the new port in the Bahamas I have been told and they are also building the new Nicaragua Canal(willing to bet that the Canal thing will not go thru as all things are subject to change)In a very fast changing world China would be well advised to be careful of what they ask for they might not get it..
Old 19-01-2015, 17:48   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
You cannot come from Cuba without being tracked, among other assets there are a couple of very large tethered balloons in the keys that are RADAR antennas.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Actually, they have been decommissioned for a few years. Yes, they still "fly" them, but it's no secret among the locals that Fat Albert is impotent these days.
Old 29-01-2015, 07:23   #40

Boat: Contest 36'

What I wonder about is insurance. If you have a US policy are they even allowed to cover you with a rider? Under what conditions, if any, can they cover a US vessel?

From a safety standpoint I don't think an insurance company would have a problem with Cuba.
Old 29-01-2015, 11:47   #41

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindLove View Post
What I wonder about is insurance. If you have a US policy are they even allowed to cover you with a rider? Under what conditions, if any, can they cover a US vessel?

From a safety standpoint I don't think an insurance company would have a problem with Cuba.
In the past no USA companies I know of would cover a USA vessel in Cuba. Mine would not, went anyway. I doubt they've made any changes due to the new regulations since they still exclude casual tourism. And how does the USA insurer get an adjuster or surveyor into Cuba if necessary without violating the embargo?

I have a non-USA insurer now, and a diff boat, and my policy still excludes Cuba, but not sure whether I could get a rider (the base policy exluded mainland Colombia too, but got a rider for that no problem...less complicated situation though).

There are folks here who work in the marine insurance industry....anyone wanna comment?
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 29-01-2015, 17:29   #42
Marine Service Provider

there will be a fight in the house tonight regarding lifting all travel related restrictions for Americans...Should be interesting..
Old 05-02-2015, 17:20   #43
Marine Service Provider

Anything interesting happening along these lines?..Any new info out there?
Old 21-06-2015, 13:42   #44

Howdy, this is my first post to this forum

I don't work for this company, but like them

You can get Cuba Cruising Boat Insurance and Yacht Insurance

Cuba class A Lloyd's

in
surance from

Tel: (561) 743-3442
An Insurance Agency for Cruisers

Cruising Boat Insurance | Yacht Insurance | Blue Water Insurance
CaptainEngineer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 21-06-2015, 14:04   #45

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

I can't understand people wishing to push the bubble. When US, Cuban relationships normalize is time enough. Maybe sail on a boat flagged not in the US.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Tags
Cuba, key west, sail, sailing