Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-06-2015, 14:04   #46

Re: Anybody Know About Sailing to Cuba from Key West?

FYI It has never been Illegal To Go to Cuba for US Citizens!!!

What was Illegal until recently was spending money in Cuba by US Citizens.

The laws and regulations have recently changed and now you can spend unlimited amounts of money in Cuba; but you can only bring back (normally)
A maximum of $400 in goods of which $100 can be Tobacco and Alcohol products

When I have time I will post more related to going and coming to Cuba and the USA, I have more to tell
CaptainEngineer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 21-06-2015, 14:40   #47

FYI YOU CAN SELF-CERTIFY NOW

About 6 or 7 years ago I went to Cuba on a large yacht; and discovered going to Cuba is actually legal, the only thing was you could not spend much money there!

Since the President changed US Cuba Policy last December, that has been in effect for over 50 years I have been studying the changes related to US Laws.
What I find most amazing is the misinformation that people believe TO BE TRUE IS WRONG!

YES AMERICANS CAN GO TO CUBA BY ALL KINDS OF WAYS LEGALLY!
I have checked all kinds of US Laws including The Code of Federal Regulations and US Policy’s and its complicated, and believe I am right to make this statement!

IT HAS NEVER BEEN AGAINST THE LAW TO GO TO CUBA, YOU COULD JUST NOT SPEND MUCH MONEY THERE!
NOW YOU CAN SPEND UNLIMITED ! But there are legal limits on the value of what you can bring back from Cuba you bought there.

There now IS huge growth just getting started to Cuba, my interest is in boats and yachts management in all ways facilitation to Cuba

Tons of direct charter air flights are currently leaving from Miami and several other US cities to Cuba NOW; major airline carriers will start flying beginning in July
Charter companies flying travelers from the U.S. to Cuba say travelers now need only "self-certify" that their trip falls under a permitted category. "The person calling us needs to tell me, 'I'm going in support of the Cuban people, or professional research, or a family visit,'" or any one of the 12 allowed categories, said Tessie Aral of ABC Charters. After that, "all they do is sign a certification."
ABC-Charters
Old 21-06-2015, 15:08   #48

You can buy a flight ticket from this and other companies, and self-certify the license requirements so you don't even need to go through A TOUR COMPANY and just fill out a simple form from the air-craft charter company and fly to Cuba

The only other requirement is you must keep a record relating to your Cuba travel for 5 years; but there is no legal description of what that means!
Old 21-06-2015, 15:21   #49

Temporary Sojourn License: The U.S. Department of Commerce considers exports of aircraft or vessels on temporary sojourn to Cuba on a case-by-case basis. Temporary sojourn licenses are not available for pleasure boaters. Additional information is available at the Bureau of Industry and Security website. Vessels of the United States, as defined in 33 CFR §107.200, may not enter Cuban territorial waters without advance permission from the U.S. Coast Guard. The U.S. Coast Guard provides permission information at (305) 415-6920.
NOTE: THIS info above IS NOT COMPLETELY/TOTALLY CORRECT!!!!
A “ COMMERCIAL VESSEL” IS ALLOWED, note; I have read a 35 foot private sailboat was issued a Sojourn License last month, AND I have read regulations and believe an small uninspected passenger vessel with6- 12 passengers with a licensed Captain is considered or can be considered “A COMMERCIAL VESSELS” AND “WOULD SATISIFY THE COMMERCIAL VESSEL RULE”

There are so many US government agencies involved they trip over themselves incorrectly sometimes, and when you talk to the correct US Gov. agency SENIOUR OFFICERS you can get correct information; but it takes a few phone calls!
YOU NEED TO Politely ask to TALK TO HIGHER UP senior management INDIVIDUALS OR OFFICERS ONLY!!! The people who generally answer the phones and try to be helpful are usually low level employees and don’t know but will tell yo they do and give you many times incorrect information
Old 21-06-2015, 15:40   #50
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainEngineer View Post

What was Illegal until recently was spending money in Cuba by US Citizens.
This was true for many years, but Bush changed it, so that it was illegal to go to Cuba without a license, period, full stop, whether you spent money or not; and they never gave any licenses out for tourism or cruising. So any tourism or cruising (by U.S. Citizens) was illegal during that period. There were also other laws that made various other things illegal.

Obama has not changed the law. He cannot, only congress can change the law, and they have not yet. Like with immigration, he has only changed the enforcement protocols. It is easier to get a license (essentially you lie about your purpose in going to Cuba), but they still are technically forbidden to give one for tourism (which would generally include normal cruising). A recent quote from the state department: "the new regulations are not meant to facilitate tourist travel to Cuba, as tourist travel remains prohibited by statute."

Regarding a question asked above . . . I can tell you that at this point BoatUS will not insure an American boat going to cuba.
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 21-06-2015, 16:19   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by estarzinger View Post
This was true for many years, but Bush changed it, so that it was illegal to go to Cuba without a license, period, full stop, whether you spent money or not; and they never gave any licenses out for tourism or cruising. So any tourism or cruising (by U.S. Citizens) was illegal during that period.

Obama has not changed the law. He cannot, only congress can change the law, and they have not yet. Like with immigration, he has only changed the enforcement protocols.

Regarding a question asked above . . . I can tell you that at this point BoatUS will not insure an American boat going to cuba.
I am tired of people giving me incorrect information and wrong opinions unknowingly and wasting my time!

The information I have posted here IS NEW INFO, I have verified! It is always possible I can make an error or mistake, this is why I always have the source of the information. I have posted sources to some of this information but this forum web site has temp removed the links until a moderator ok's them I was told in a short message this site sent me.

For about 6 months, since Obama by Executive action changed US Policy and Executive Law regarding Cuba that was published in THE FEDERAL REGISTER, thereby becoming Law Under the Code of Federal Regulations, I have been studying these changes and their implementation by the affected US Federal Agency's. I am not an attorney, but I can read and interpret Law pretty well to protect my federal licenses.

I have several USCG Licenses, I do not fool with the US Federal Gov. or any Gov!

I SAID/POSTED NOTHING ABOUT ="tourism"=

AND you cant buy Cuba insurance ISSUED from A US COMPANY AT THIS MOMENT!

I posted where you can buy good insurance FROM AN AMERICAN COMPANY that sells Class A insurance from London

Boats US only sells insurance for the Bahamas and the US!
Old 21-06-2015, 16:28   #52

Boat: Lagoon 40

Pensacola Yacht Club (PYC) is planning a race in October. That will qualify as it is a sporting event. Wally Moran on Google + He is headed that way and has some good info on his blog.

Neil
Ndavies is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 21-06-2015, 17:03   #53

estarzinger

My whole reply is not personally directed at estarzinger

Please don't take the tone I used in replying to your post PERSONAL!

IT was not ment to be personal to you!

I have had many people over the last 6 months giving me incorrect information.

I apologize to you, if my attitude was bad, it was not ment to be
Old 21-06-2015, 17:17   #54

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana

There might not be much real info on Key West to Havana, but I daresay you can go to any restaurant in Miami and ask for tips on the trip from Havana to Key West...
Old 22-06-2015, 05:53   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by sy_gilana View Post
There might not be much real info on Key West to Havana, but I daresay you can go to any restaurant in Miami and ask for tips on the trip from Havana to Key West...
Don't get the debate started on whether car inner tubes or truck inner tubes, are better for making the Havana to Key West passage!
Old 22-06-2015, 15:25   #56
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainEngineer View Post

Boats US only sells insurance for the Bahamas and the US!
That is incorrect. (My wife has a senior position at BoatUS). If you meet their underwriting standards you can get essentially world wide coverage from them. But they will not insure a U.S. Boat going to Cuba today, because generally it is still not legal . . . . unless it actually does meet one of the 12 specific exceptions, which the vast majority of cruising boats do not.

The Lloyds policy you refer to has a specific clause in the fine print which states that the policy is void if the boat operator is engaged in illegal activities at the time of the accident. So, in fact for most U.S. cruisers, Lloyds could refuse to cover any accident in Cuba despite the policy saying that its coverage area includes Cuba. It covers Cuba if you are in fact there legally, but most cruisers will in fact not be (because their "real" purpose is tourism).
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 22-06-2015, 22:14   #57

Quote:
That is incorrect. (My wife has a senior position at BoatUS). If you meet their underwriting standards you can get essentially world wide coverage from them. But they will not insure a U.S. Boat going to Cuba today, because generally it is still not legal . . . . unless it actually does meet one of the 12 specific exceptions, which the vast majority of cruising boats do not.

The Lloyds policy you refer to has a specific clause in the fine print which states that the policy is void if the boat operator is engaged in illegal activities at the time of the accident. So, in fact for most U.S. cruisers, Lloyds could refuse to cover any accident in Cuba despite the policy saying that its coverage area includes Cuba. It covers Cuba if you are in fact there legally, but most cruisers will in fact not be (because their "real" purpose is tourism).

Thanks estarzinger for your input!!!

All I know is I was told by the owner of marine insurance broker Called Blue Water here in Jupiter Florida THAT is a reputable marine insurance company and who has been selling Class A marine insurance policy's for 2O years here and has a contract with Loyd's of London and that Loyd's offers Cuba policies to "CRUISERS' from anywhere in the world through his company THAT FOR SURE covers the entire Caribbean including Cuba; AND Blue Water said that BoatsUS only sells policies for US and Bahamas only.

On another note: Loyd's is international and sells policy's even in war zones I have read, and they are the oldest marine insurance company in the world.

I am an American US licensed Captain and also a US licensed Chief Engineer and not a boat owner.
Old 22-06-2015, 22:33   #58

Quote:

The Lloyds policy you refer to has a specific clause in the fine print which states that the policy is void if the boat operator is engaged in illegal activities at the time of the accident. So, in fact for most U.S. cruisers, Lloyd could refuse to cover any accident in Cuba despite the policy saying that its coverage area includes Cuba. It covers Cuba if you are in fact there legally, but most cruisers will in fact not be (because their "real" purpose is tourism).

Anyone with any policy doing something illegal would void any policy they have from any insurance company!

By the way there is no American law in the US Code of Federal Regulations that makes it illegal for an American to go to Cuba!

there USED to be a law that made it illegal for an American to spend ANY money in Cuba implemented under I think the Bush administration, but that law has been changed to allow unlimited expenditures thanks to Obama executive action that changed/repealed under the 12 License's
Old 23-06-2015, 02:44   #59

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

I do know that of you end up grounded or on a reef there it is unlikely you will receive any help . they will take you off the boat and take you to land as they prefer to salvage and strip it without the owners onboard. 😝

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 21-07-2015, 07:40   #60

Boat: Little Harbor 46

Tanzer Tom, You no doubt believe what you have said, but it was so misguided!
I have been to Cuba, not since 2003 it is true, but I used to sail their waters regularly. There are few places I have cruised where I felt safer when ashore, or where I have encountered nicer more friendly people. Yes, it is still a communist state, which you may not like (no, nor do I), and yes there is a dictator, but there are plenty worse than Fidel Castro, and to suggest that a dollar spent goes to his pocket is just wrong. Perhaps you are influenced by 50 years of the news published from your own perspective, but you could solve that by paying a visit and getting better informed. Incidentally, there is one small part of those Islands it is better not to visit, but thats another story!
Tim Godber is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Tags
Cuba, key west, sail, sailing