Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Product or Service Reviews & Evaluations
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-03-2023, 18:04   #61

Boat: 44' Custom Aluminum Cutter, & Pearson 30
Re: Anyone with experience using "hull shield" ultrasonic antifouling system?

People like to believe in magic. I side with fstbttms on this one, I have had several boats in the SF Bay area. All needed to be cleaned and I dont think some vibration would keep growth off.
Old 09-03-2023, 19:37   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
Why will we know in a few years? It's already been at least 20 years. How many years do these systems have to be used in the real world before we know?
---------------------------------------------------------------

Why will we know in a few years?

Because, as CarlF notes, improvement in the technology (several frequencies Vs. prior technology of only single frequency) may yield better results, and, as CarlF also notes, it will take a few years [for people to try out the "several frequency" units].

Is there any evidence that the "20 years" of prior usage utilized "several frequency" technology? Is the "several frequency" a gimmick or a significant improvement? Time will tell.

How many products have we seen profound functionality improvements after a period of years? Who remembers the early Loran units in the 1980s, when the units' data (location) was not lat-lon, remember those nerve-racking diagonal lines?
Old 09-03-2023, 19:49   #63
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overdue View Post
---------------------------------------------------------------

Why will we know in a few years?

Because, as CarlF notes, improvement in the technology (several frequencies Vs. prior technology of only single frequency) may yield better results...
Wait... what? You guys have spent the entire day telling me how the technology was already proven and that it was so effective that I should be worried about losing my job! You mean after all that plus 20 years of development, it still doesn't work? Bwahahahaha!
Attached Images

Old 09-03-2023, 20:21   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
Wait... what? You guys have spent the entire day telling me how the technology was already proven and that it was so effective that I should be worried about losing my job! You mean after all that plus 20 years of development, it still doesn't work? Bwahahahaha!
--------------------------------------------------------

I don't remember seeing anyone suggesting that you should be worried about losing your job. I thought this thread was about ultrasonic anti-fouling, not your job security?
Old 09-03-2023, 20:42   #65
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------

I don't remember seeing anyone suggesting that you should be worried about losing your job. I thought this thread was about ultrasonic anti-fouling, not your job security?
You might want to actually read the thread
Old 09-03-2023, 21:05   #66

Boat: Beebe Passagemaker 50'

FB, you've made 24 of the 66 posts on the thread . . .
He who shouts the loudest is seldom the rightest . . .
Old 10-03-2023, 05:27   #67

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
How many products have we seen profound functionality improvements after a period of years? Who remembers the early Loran units in the 1980s, when the units' data (location) was not lat-lon, remember those nerve-racking diagonal lines?
I do. I'm not sure that was the best analogy. LORAN technology worked great. Right from the start, when recreational units first became available. Even if you never learned to use a chart and a LORAN interpolator, you could lay your traps along a TD and come back and find them later, no matter what.

For comparison, back in those days you also needed a road map for highway navigation. Many people, who didn't know what all those lines on the map meant, found that nerve-wracking, too.

Things have unfortunately gotten personal here, on both sides, but I have to conclude that ultrasonic technology just isn't ready yet.

There have been some very interesting proposals, and preliminary testing has justified further research. I would love to live long enough to see this technology replace bottom paint for the average recreational user. That may be a long shot, but I can hope.

Lastly, even assuming an ultrasonic solution turns out to be equally effective to bottom paint, bottom cleaning will probably still be needed in many places. So I don't think it is justified to claim that anyone is worried about their livelihood.
Old 10-03-2023, 06:58   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueH2Obound View Post
FB, you've made 24 of the 66 posts on the thread . . .
He who shouts the loudest is seldom the rightest . . .
I’ll just say if you ignore what fstbttms has to say you are missing out on a lot of experience and knowledge.

All you who are being snotty about him telling you that ultrasonics DON’T WORK, do ANY of you have one of these systems installed? Why not??? Or are you all just armchairing this?

Matt’s not in an armchair right now. He’s under a boat—cleaning it.
Old 10-03-2023, 08:09   #69
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingHarmonie View Post
I...do ANY of you have one of these systems installed? Why not??? Or are you all just armchairing this?
Bingo!
Old 10-03-2023, 08:59   #70

Boat: Beebe Passagemaker 50'

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingHarmonie View Post
I’ll just say if you ignore what fstbttms has to say you are missing out on a lot of experience and knowledge.

All you who are being snotty about him telling you that ultrasonics DON’T WORK, do ANY of you have one of these systems installed? Why not??? Or are you all just armchairing this?

SH, Actually, we DO NOT have an ultrasonic systems installed. We have a 2" thick hull, cored with Airex. From our research, and several manufacturers websites, the Airex core will attenuate the sound produced by their devices, rendering them unusable in a cored hull. THAT's why we don't have an ultrasonic system on our boat. If our hull were steel, or aluminum, or solid FRP, we'd give it a try!

On another note, yes, we DO have two very comfy armchairs on the boat, so I guess we ARE "armchairing" this!

Full disclosure: We do not sell comfy armchairs, and have no financial gain or incentive in promoting them to other boaters!
Old 10-03-2023, 11:47   #71

I contacted Hull Shield via their FaceBook page and asked the following. I think this is relevant to the discussion on hand so here are the important content of the interaction:

ME: "how long is this product on the market?"

HS: "Good day, we have been manufacturing Hull Shield ultrasonic products since 2018. Production was limited after Covid (computer chip shortages). A period when most incoming inventory was already sold (Pre-Ordered) prior to arrival. However, manufacturing supply chains are more robust now and we are able to maintain available inventories for retail sales."

ME: "...If you follow this link, there is a discussion about your product on this forum. I would love if you guys will put your input there..."

HS: "...Usually there are rules about manufacturers posting in these forums. Also, these threads can be very aggressive making thoughtful communication impossible. I did briefly read through the forum and one user mentioned doing a test on a catamaran with ultrasound on only one side - BoatTest is actually running this test right now - the boat will be hauled and inspected within the next month or two. As a manufacturer, we know our battle will be won through real customer feedback about our product (happy customers referring retail customers has been our primary source of retail sales). A big component of having a successful ultrasonic installation is proper education for the installation - to understand the product, how it needs to be installed and operated, and what the limitations are for the specific use-case. We work directly with yacht manufacturers who are now installing our products from the factory after years of testing and confirmation, we are working with engine manufacturers for integrated OEM solutions for drives, and much more including commercial products for larger vessels."

ME: "okay, I don't advocate and have no side accept I am interested in your product if it works. If you allow me, I will copy and paste your replay on that forum since I think it is intelligently put and your voice should be heard. I am in contract to buy a a new 45' catamaran. I am suppose to take delivery a year from now. If by October there is more positive experience out there with your product, I will see you in Annapolis. I am staying tuned!"
Old 10-03-2023, 20:00   #72

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

I don't know. I knew some guy in Santa Cruz who had the pucks on his plywood motor yacht. I saw it hauled out and maybe it was doing a little bit. I use Petitt Trinidad and have for 30+ years. Never a problem with regular cleanings (2-3 months). The formula has changed a little bit over the years but still works better than its competition. Maybe it depends where your boat resides as to what is used.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 10-03-2023, 22:28   #73

Boat: Cruising Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hezi973 View Post
I contacted Hull Shield via their FaceBook page and asked the following. I think this is relevant to the discussion on hand so here are the important content of the interaction:

ME: "how long is this product on the market?"

HS: "Good day, we have been manufacturing Hull Shield ultrasonic products since 2018. Production was limited after Covid (computer chip shortages). A period when most incoming inventory was already sold (Pre-Ordered) prior to arrival. However, manufacturing supply chains are more robust now and we are able to maintain available inventories for retail sales."

ME: "...If you follow this link, there is a discussion about your product on this forum. I would love if you guys will put your input there..."

HS: "...Usually there are rules about manufacturers posting in these forums. Also, these threads can be very aggressive making thoughtful communication impossible. I did briefly read through the forum and one user mentioned doing a test on a catamaran with ultrasound on only one side - BoatTest is actually running this test right now - the boat will be hauled and inspected within the next month or two. As a manufacturer, we know our battle will be won through real customer feedback about our product (happy customers referring retail customers has been our primary source of retail sales). A big component of having a successful ultrasonic installation is proper education for the installation - to understand the product, how it needs to be installed and operated, and what the limitations are for the specific use-case. We work directly with yacht manufacturers who are now installing our products from the factory after years of testing and confirmation, we are working with engine manufacturers for integrated OEM solutions for drives, and much more including commercial products for larger vessels."

ME: "okay, I don't advocate and have no side accept I am interested in your product if it works. If you allow me, I will copy and paste your replay on that forum since I think it is intelligently put and your voice should be heard. I am in contract to buy a a new 45' catamaran. I am suppose to take delivery a year from now. If by October there is more positive experience out there with your product, I will see you in Annapolis. I am staying tuned!"

I look forward to seeing the boat test catamaran result in the next month or two.
Old 10-03-2023, 23:56   #74

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueH2Obound View Post
SH, Actually, we DO NOT have an ultrasonic systems installed. We have a 2" thick hull, cored with Airex. From our research, and several manufacturers websites, the Airex core will attenuate the sound produced by their devices, rendering them unusable in a cored hull. THAT's why we don't have an ultrasonic system on our boat. If our hull were steel, or aluminum, or solid FRP, we'd give it a try!

On another note, yes, we DO have two very comfy armchairs on the boat, so I guess we ARE "armchairing" this!

Full disclosure: We do not sell comfy armchairs, and have no financial gain or incentive in promoting them to other boaters!

As far as I know, with your foam airex core hull you need to cut the inner FG layer and dig into the foam until you find the outer layer, the problem here is that you may find yourself with a thin outer layer of FG, needing reinforcement and sealing the core.
Old 11-03-2023, 08:30   #75

So I started a discussion on a Facebook group and a member told me he has a friend that has experience with the tech. I contacted him via email and after reading his reply, I asked permission to post it since I feel it has valuable information. He kindly obliged. Here it is:

Hi
He wrote me this morning to let me know the discussion is going on.
We live on a 2014 50' Endeavour TrawlerCat.
The original owner installed a Clean-A-Hull system ( before hull shield was created). It was developed in Australia which makes repair difficult.
Having been in the marine business for a long time, I would see the system at boat shows and thought they were mostly smoke and mirrors. When we bought the boat in 2018, I asked the owner, who was a friend, when he last had the bottom painted. He said 2015 because he didn't think that Endeavour did a good job when it was built. I asked when the lady time a dive was on it. He said never except to change zincs. Now was the test when we hauled out for survey. BTW that owner could not turn a screw.. he was a finance guy.
We hauled out and the stern 2/3s of the boat was spotless. The forward 1/3 had about an inch of barnacles. Found out that the unit for the bow was turned off and he didn't know it. That was my proof it works. We painted in 2019 because I had run aground and stripped the paint off the bottom. We touched up again in Feb 2022. Except for zincs, never had a diver clean the bottom.
I hauled out last week to do a repair on my dinghy lift. No need to pressure wash. Had some cleaning to do on my shaft because i have the nylon disc.

We use ablative paint so the grass will come off when underway. I may switch to

Now, comes along Hull Shield. First.. totally built, boards and all, in the Carolinas.
I now know the owner and he has engineered a great product and continues to improve and create. I had to send a Contoller on my system to Australia for repair. If it has another problem, it's history and hull shield will move in. I'm very impressed with it. I have several friends with it and all are happy. One guy was having a big problem. Hull Shield came out and found that the owner had installed the transducers with 5200 rather then JB Weld. They pulled them and replaced and now works great.
Aguila, freedom boat club and others are now putting them on their boats. Cummins and volvo have now approached them.
My friend has a44 Aquila and has had it for several years with total success.
Are there limitations, yes. They do not work on wood or cored hulls. Perfect on solid fiberglass, steel and aluminum hulls. They can be mounted to engines to protect the running gear but if you have the nylon disk between the transmission and shaft, it cannot get to the shaft.
It does not stop worms that build their homes out of mud or grass/slim.

The web page has the information on current draw. It really is minimal.

I hope that helps

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
Capt. Steve Russell

USCG Masters 100ton, Towing, Sail/Aux, STCW, TWIC

US Coast Guard Veteran

Yacht Broker specializing in PowerCats

Full Time Cruising on

Gypsies Palace

48’ Endeavour PowerCat

AGLCA Member (Americas Great Loop Cruisers Asso)

Gold Loopers 2017

steve@captsteverussell.com
Closed Thread

Tags
enc, hull