Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Product or Service Reviews & Evaluations
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2017, 19:06   #1

Boat: Catalina 270LE, 27'
Anyone heard of "Ionyx Marine & Hull Coat"? (antifouling)

I'm doing the final paperwork on purchasing a Catalina 270LE and getting excited about all the projects to be done. One of those is antifouling so I've been mucking about on the internet.

I found "Coppercoat" @ Coppercoat Anti-Fouling Epoxy: much more than a marine bottom paint. Coppercoat is a multi-year bottom treatment for your boat or yacht. Save time, money, and haul-outs with Coppercoat.

and "Ionyx Marine & Hull Coat" @
Corrosion Prevention Services By Rugged Coatings

I live in California, and I'm not sure about the "Coppercoat" since it seems great but there are evidently some anti-copper laws either passed or in the works. (Any info on current laws would be great). Though interestingly enough the Coppercoat website lauds their non-leaching treatment and state "...COPPERCOAT is tin-free and fully complies with current (2001) International Maritime Organization (IMO) resolution MEPC.102(48). Within the UK COPPERCOAT is used by the Environment Agency. COPPERCOAT is approved for use by the California EPA, Department of Pesticide Regulation (California EPA Reg. No. 85396-1-AA)..."

Though it isn't 2001 anymore, so idk?

The other environmentally friendly choice seemed to be this Ionyx stuff but I couldn't find any 3rd party reviews on it, though the manufacturer has lots of research and self-posted reports and testing on it that all give it flying colors.

Thanks for any input! I'm also interested in any other anti fouling advice as I am new to all of this and don't want to make any huge mistakes like using a paint that is supposed to be for metal on my fiberglass hull.
zeitgeist is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull, marine